PSA: Updating Forum Design On Mobile *Updated (9/18/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited September 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Update 2: The new forum design should now be correctly displayed on mobile devices!
=======
Update: 
Hi Everyone. We're aware of some of the size and color issues being displayed on mobile. We've already reached out to the web developers to inform them of this occurrence, and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

In the meantime, we recommend that players view the forum in the Desktop mode of their browser. Thanks for being patient!
=======
Hi Everyone,

As some of you may be aware, when we first launched the design of our new forum, we were a bit restricted as to how much of it could be translated over to the mobile platform. Well not anymore!

Starting at 1pm PT/4pm ET/8pm UTC, we will be beginning the process of updating the mobile version of the forum to match the functionality and design that the desktop website has! We do not expect there to be any downtime, but just in case, we wanted to inform everyone about this change several hours ahead of time.

Please let us know if you have any comments or questions about the new mobile design, especially after it goes live. Cheers!

Comments

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Good emprovement...thanx 😉
  • Brigby
    WEBGAS said:
    Good emprovement...thanx 😉
    We're still waiting on one last step to be completed, and then the update will be finished. :D 
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I would love an option that turns off the setting that automatically takes you to the last post you viewed.  It's difficult to use the tips pages and the Sneak Peek.
    Yes. I also hope this is the first step in updating other aspects of the forum, not just mobile. Even if it's just as simple as not having the cursor jump to the beginning of a line when I hit Ctrl+ an arrow key. Or maybe different themes that aren't such an eyesore.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would love an option that turns off the setting that automatically takes you to the last post you viewed.  It's difficult to use the tips pages and the Sneak Peek.
    So long as it's an option. For me, it's a useful way to read a thread, leave it, and come back to it later exactly where I left without trying to remember which posts I have and haven't read. 
  • Brigby
    STOPTHIS said:
    Yes. I also hope this is the first step in updating other aspects of the forum, not just mobile. Even if it's just as simple as not having the cursor jump to the beginning of a line when I hit Ctrl+ an arrow key. Or maybe different themes that aren't such an eyesore.
    I'd be lying if I said I knew why, but that behavior actually depends on what browser you're viewing the forum in. For example, on Chrome, Ctrl+ an arrow key only shifts you to the beginning of the previous word.
  • Brigby
    Brigby could we get signatures in mobile devices as well? So that we can look at others’ rosters if necessary. Right now we can only see signatures on tablets and monitors, but not phones
    So the answer is a tricky yes and no. We have the capability to enable signatures on mobile devices, however as a result, we found that signatures added a lot of length to each player's comment, simply due to the dimensions of mobile.

In addition, I don't believe we can have different signature lengths between desktop and mobile, so either desktop has small signatures or mobile has to risk the potential for a REALLY long comment.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has it been updated? (I know this may be a dumb question but I don’t see a diffference)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't see any difference as well.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Brigby said:
    STOPTHIS said:
    I'd be lying if I said I knew why, but that behavior actually depends on what browser you're viewing the forum in. For example, on Chrome, Ctrl+ an arrow key only shifts you to the beginning of the previous word.
    And that same behavior is broken on Firefox :'(

Yet both have the same edit keystrokes (seeTEXT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS section). I don't have problems in other Forums. So something's messed up on this Forum

It's unbelievably annoying.

KGB

• Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Not sure how you decide what is mobile...
    iphone is different now, but iPad is not... 
  • Acemontiero
    Acemontiero Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Usually in the context of web development there are four sizes: Large, medium, small, and extra small. In most cases, your ipad would be small or medium, and your phone is extra small. 
  • Daredevil217
    Hilk said:
    Not sure how you decide what is mobile...
    iphone is different now, but iPad is not... 
    what has changed on the iPhone?
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    So did anything come of this? I certainly haven’t noticed any changes. 
  • Daredevil217
    Finally got the update (iPhone). It is awful. I really hope this isn’t the final build because everything is messed up size wise and it is super annoying.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finally got the update (iPhone). It is awful. I really hope this isn’t the final build because everything is messed up size wise and it is super annoying.
    Wow, gotta agree. Android version totally messed up too. Refreshed the screen, I get a giant D3 logo that fills my screen.  Now in typing in a text box, 3 words per line.  Sizes and formats all wonky.  
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    I'm on the update and it's terrible! The discussion boxes are reduced, the d3 banner is way oversized, and this text box is way smaller than the discussion boxes. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    I agree with what the others have said. The D3 logo covers half of my screen. The sizing is really messed up.

A lot more scrolling have to be done compared to the previous UI. 

How is the sizing messed up? 

Previously,  my first two paragraphs above would take up three lines or rows. Now it's taking up 8 rows.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,517 Chairperson of the Boards
    My dialogue box is tiny. The logo is enormous. Some buttons are centered, while others are on the left. This is borderline unusable. 

Of course, at work the website is literally unusable because of the Symantec certificate problem. Fun times around here. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, wow.  This is pretty bad.  Did no one open this up on an android phone?  That logo is ridiculously large!