So...what now? 3* Farm/Dupes

2»

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strang3 hit max champ yesterday, so I decided to roster a dupe rather than sell him. We’ll see how long that lasts
    Should you decide to not build dupes for all threestar characters you will probably want to hang on to the maxed versions of the top tier threestars anyway. Strang3 definitely falls in that category.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Intellectually, I'd like to just carry on rostering dupes. The reason I wasn't doing it before cover saving went live is because i had a pressing need for iso, being someone who just pulls as they go. Now that the pressure there is gone and I'm just waiting for shield training to drive who i bring to 209, I don't feel the same degree of need to flip them as soon as they max out. So it may take this time.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I have also sort of started a 3* farm (although it is hardly rolling along). I now have Patch and Super Steve maxed and IM40 is one cover away. Patch v.2 (I like to call him "Bub") is nearly ready to champ. So far I've rostered dupes and will definitely do so for IM40. I couldn't see myself selling IM40 anyway. The next batch are about 10 covers or more away so I can use the time to decide where I am going to take this. I have plenty of HP to keep rostering but it is whether I want my roster to bloat to the point of every 3* rostered twice. I don't currently worry about re-champing 2's before selling.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I still have my max-champ Strang3, but my dupe is only at 2/2/3. I have 6 more that are above 250, so I think that the real test of willpower for dupe rostering is going to come after a few more of those happen.
  • DAZ0273
    Yeah. I mean by the time I get to say, Colossus, I feel I'm gonna be waivering. Red power punch? I'll use Riri thanks. Negate damage yellow? Rogue will be just fine. Send airbourne! Come on, you need me for my airbourne! Oh...champed Gwenpool.

Thanks for the iso and HP Pete, I'll use the loaner on your PvP...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    The only reason I'm doing it is because of the HP pool difference in PVP actually. I still expect that my PVP teams will be driven by at least one of the boost-list 4*s regardless of the required character, so I'd prefer to go in without a liability more than I expect a max-champ 3* to turn the tide on any of them.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    My new policy is to wait at least until I've got enough covers to champ the dupe for even lower-tier characters. While it wasn't impossible, going through the Sub 1 3* Essential with a single cover Captain Marvel wasn't really an experience I care to repeat.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    My new policy is to wait at least until I've got enough covers to champ the dupe for even lower-tier characters. While it wasn't impossible, going through the Sub 1 3* Essential with a single cover Captain Marvel wasn't really an experience I care to repeat.
    Yes thats my plan too - champ the new 3* then sell the max-champ (or more accurately, sell the max-champ to allow champing of the new version)
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. I'm just hitting the point where a huge rush of my 3* characters are in the 250-266 range.

Here is what I've been doing:

1) I have not sold any of my 266 3* just because PVP is still 3*-centric, and having them be 266 is better than, say, 170 or whatever.

2) At about level 258, I buy a new roster slot and start a clone. I'll eventually farm clones like I farm 2* characters, I figure.

It's working out okay-ish, but BOY does it feel like a huge ISO/HP waste. I'm already in dire ISO circumstances, and this isn't helping.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. I'm just hitting the point where a huge rush of my 3* characters are in the 250-266 range.

Here is what I've been doing:

1) I have not sold any of my 266 3* just because PVP is still 3*-centric, and having them be 266 is better than, say, 170 or whatever.

2) At about level 258, I buy a new roster slot and start a clone. I'll eventually farm clones like I farm 2* characters, I figure.

It's working out okay-ish, but BOY does it feel like a huge ISO/HP waste. I'm already in dire ISO circumstances, and this isn't helping.

@NotBAMF
    With saved covers just level your 3* to 266 as normal.  Since your main constraint is iso when you get the 267 cover buy the roster slot.  As long as you don't champ the dupe, you can keep saying covers.  With 4* cover dilution, you'll eventually reach the point where your iso levels outpace your unchamped 4*.  Once you reach that point you can chang the 3*dupe and get all the rewards for the saved covers.

• heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    I've decided to take it one champ at a time.  I duped Patch, and I will dupe other essentials as I go.  It will come down to how much Hero Points I have at the time and how valuable they are to me.  3* IF is a keeper, so I'll dupe.  3* Squirrel Girl, I'll sell.  I see the reasoning in keeping them for PVP, but I really don't play PVP.

Thanks for all the input.
  • DAZ0273
    heybub said:
    I've decided to take it one champ at a time.  I duped Patch, and I will dupe other essentials as I go.  It will come down to how much Hero Points I have at the time and how valuable they are to me.  3* IF is a keeper, so I'll dupe.  3* Squirrel Girl, I'll sell.  I see the reasoning in keeping them for PVP, but I really don't play PVP.

I'm doing the same.

I duped Patch as he was my first and so was a novelty and I duped IM40. I also duped Magneto. I now have Deadpool, Blade and Black Widow on the vine and can't really see the value in spending for the roster slot at this time unless there was a big influx of covers for them. The next dupe I anticipate will be Strange who is sitting at 265 right now.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I sold off Magn3to and Hulk during the anniversary rather than roster dupes. I was chasing HP to finish off my Devil D and Howard (finished Howard, got Devil D to within 1 cover, which I'll be getting as a daily reward in a few months), and man did I regret that decision as soon as the Magnetic Meyhem PVP turned up and I had to go in with a loaner. I just got 266 for Cap this morning, and I'm pretty confident I'm rostering dupes from now on.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    heybub said:

I'm doing the same.

I duped Patch as he was my first and so was a novelty and I duped IM40. I also duped Magneto. I now have Deadpool, Blade and Black Widow on the vine and can't really see the value in spending for the roster slot at this time unless there was a big influx of covers for them. The next dupe I anticipate will be Strange who is sitting at 265 right now.

I take it you don't get many requests for Whales teamups? That is the main reason I consider making an exception for Deadpool and roster a third copy instead of just Selling the dupe when it's done.
  • DAZ0273
    Quebbster said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    heybub said:

I'm doing the same.

I take it you don't get many requests for Whales teamups? That is the main reason I consider making an exception for Deadpool and roster a third copy instead of just Selling the dupe when it's done.
    No, I don't tend to although the cover I have on the vine is Whales funny enough.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I’m planning on duping all my 3*’s mostly because of PvP. Done 13 so far and rechamped 4 of those already. I forgot how cheap these were compared to 4* costs and like getting that immediate LL token.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I say keep the 266s and start a dupe!

1) Essential nodes will go faster especially when saddled with a bad 4*. Every second counts in PVE. 

2) You might take less hits in PVP. If the choice is chewing through a boosted 266 and a boosted 170-180 3*. Given the same amount of points I’m going to hit the easier target. Less health to chew through and I’ll be in and out quicker. 

3) On bad boost week sometimes the required 3* is the only character that gives you an outlet for a particular color. While they won’t determine the match outcome often they can definitely speed things along. 

4) The collector aspect. I know for most that doesn’t matter, but for those that care about that side of MPQ, staring at a complete set of 266s is pretty cool.

5) The only cost is a roster slot. It is not iso negative to house dupes! This was not always the case, but cover saving has made iso a non-issue. If you roster a dupe once your main gets to 266, cover-max it, and save 100 covers, you can sell your original, use that iso to champ the dupe who will immediately jump to 266 with the saved covers, and you can use the roster spot to start the process over. Once you flip the 3* you actually come away with more iso than you spent when you collect your rewards.