3* Black Widow match damage

ZootSax
ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
Has 3* Black Widow’s match damage always been out of order with her powers?  Usually, the highest damage is on the color of the first power, but for her it’s purple/red/green when her powers are green/red/purple. Ultimately it’s unimportant, but I was curious if this was always the case.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, there are a few of the older characters who are like that. I think CMags is another. Apparently it's a surprisingly large amount of work to change that code, and it's not hugely important, so they just let it ride.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Deadpool as well. I think Daken (both versions) too.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    In fact, this was before my time, but I recall hearing that at one point 3* BW's strong match damage wasn't even in her power colors. Or at least, not all of them.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    In fact, this was before my time, but I recall hearing that at one point 3* BW's strong match damage wasn't even in her power colors. Or at least, not all of them.
    Same for CMags. I believe that's why they changed his power colors.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    When a 3-star version came out after another (1-star or 2-star) version of that character already existed, the 3-star version did match damage that correlated with their prior version even if they had powers in other colors. So grey suit Widow did her strongest match damage in the colors that her modern version did - for whatever reason. The same with classic Magneto - he did his strongest match damage in blue, red, and purple (rather than yellow), the same as his 2-star version.

I'm not sure why this was; maybe it was a coding issue where the newer versions were built on the framework of their counterparts, or something else entirely. That was a long time ago.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    When a 3-star version came out after another (1-star or 2-star) version of that character already existed, the 3-star version did match damage that correlated with their prior version even if they had powers in other colors. So grey suit Widow did her strongest match damage in the colors that her modern version did - for whatever reason. The same with classic Magneto - he did his strongest match damage in blue, red, and purple (rather than yellow), the same as his 2-star version.

I'm not sure why this was; maybe it was a coding issue where the newer versions were built on the framework of their counterparts, or something else entirely. That was a long time ago.

Old CMags had a purple power.
    That was replaced by his yellow power after his rework.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am pretty sure old school CMags did not have Purple as a strong color. I remember thinking he and Dr Doom was a good pairing since Doom had Purple as a strong color but did not have a Purple Active Power back then.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Here's a post from 2015 with a list showing characters as of that time with match damage order not agreeing with power color order:

IIRC, at some point a dev commented that it would be difficult for them to go back and align all the match damages with the ability color order.
  • Dormammu
    Bowgentle said:
    See what time does to one's memory? Remind me what his purple power was, I don't even remember that.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Bowgentle said:
    See what time does to one's memory? Remind me what his purple power was, I don't even remember that.
    His purple was basically what his blue is now.  Blue was a cheap 'create two blue protect tiles anywhere' and red was 2 AP (at 5 covers) destroy random tiles on the board.
  • Dormammu
    Oh, that's right. He could place blue tiles and basically go winfinite on how cheap his stuff was. He was so overpowered.