Exhausted from building new decks

As the title says, I am a little (probably an understatement) exhausted from building new decks every event. Am I the only one?

Its fun for like the 1st two or three events (depending on how long/grindy it is); but every time is a little much.

Comments

• ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    AWR is much better than B4T that way...  Six levels to build for instead of fifteen. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    jimpark said:
    As the title says, I am a little (probably an understatement) exhausted from building new decks every event. Am I the only one?

Its fun for like the 1st two or three events (depending on how long/grindy it is); but every time is a little much.

Nope, not even a little bit.

For me the beauty and attraction of MTG is the ability to alter, improve or create entirely new builds. Doing so keeps the game fresh and exciting. Partly why I still collect cards since homelands.

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t mind building new AWR decks. The objectives do half the work for you. 
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    It shouldn’t be a this or that stance. People having more deck slots would seem best for all. Those who like making new decks all the time still can and those that like to srt and forget with minor tweaks as their knowledge or collection grows also get what they want.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Awr is not building aboit building new decks. Just change some cards in existing decks. And almost every deck is H2. 

Awr is the other side of the Bo4T. Easy and not grindy. Something in between would be nice. 
  • bk1234
    IM_CARLOS said:
    Awr is not building aboit building new decks. Just change some cards in existing decks. And almost every deck is H2. 

Awr is the other side of the Bo4T. Easy and not grindy. Something in between would be nice. 
    That would be RotGP — if only it had the rewards of AWR. 
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    I tend to like messing around with deck-building and tweaking, though having to use screenshots (well that's what I use, my point is I can't use the app) to save my decks is inconvenient. The buyable deck slots aren't enough to make a difference, I got the rune one for Kiora, but keeping track of what tweaks I make for each event means I use my screenshots just as much. Anyway, rebuilding all my decks without HOU has been a bit overwhelming for the bigger events (5 nodes mostly, especially B4T), but I actually feel like I've ended up with better decks for AWR so far.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Interesting.

I, too, enjoy deckbuilding; but, having to deckbuild for every single event for this past month (it seems or actually is - not sure) on top of my daily real life obligations has felt a little burdensome. 

There are certainly times i can look at my prev. deck templates or teammates templates; but perhaps i am making it more difficult for myself. As my approach isn't so much tweaking decks anymore as much as it is a more thorough re-analysis from scratch (probably set rotation thing). 

I, too, take screenshots. Annoying but without deckslots not much that can be done there. Its just another bothersome feature of this game which could be improved significantly to help prevent this game from feeling like a chore or a to-do list before getting to the enjoyment portion. It feels as though I have to always do the dishes before eating my freshly cooked meal.. but the food gets cold and the enjoyment is lost. 
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    jimpark said:
    It feels as though I have to always do the dishes before eating my freshly cooked meal.. but the food gets cold and the enjoyment is lost. 
    But it's a brand new delicious recipe you're trying each time! 
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Frankly i enjoy it a lot more when i have to give thought to my deckbuilding for the event. 

The problem is when the best for all 6 nodes is just to build the same deck, with variance in which creature type you use, or only pull out all spells.

The most fun are the pauper-style events, where you are more restricted by your colours, since you don't get to use most no-brainer multicolour cards, and are pushed into cards you usually never use.

I think some dedicated pauper or peasant events could be quite fun :)
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deckbuilding is fun.

Having to keep detailed records and/or screenshots in order to re-construct decks for each event because of the lack of deck slots, however, is nonsense.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2018
    I hate you guys... :D so much optimism and happiness lol

Where are all my complainers at?  >:)
  • bk1234
    After 6 months of playing RotGP, I stopped keeping records of my PvE decks. I refer to the abilities, objectives and decklists of the encounter and build entirely new decks every single time. 

It keeps the repeated content fresh, forces me to use new cards and PW I’ve acquired and makes the event fun every time. 
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    I used to build new decks every time, but all the 5 node grind events killed my enjoyment of that. I did like building new decks for most of AWR, especially the first node. I didn't use Huatli for any of them, and my decks are much less in risk of missing an objective because of killing my opponent too quickly. In particular, just switching to Ajani 2 for 1.1 makes sandbagging much easier, Take Vengeance in case any of his creatures get big along with life gain makes things smooth, then his second ability works great for a finishing blow.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I don't mind deckbuilding in general, but I'm a space-cadet so I know I've made many mistakes throwing something together while on break at work just so I can desperately try to avoid losing charges, only to miss out on secondaries (and sometimes lose altogether) due to forgetting a key card (like support removal, for example) or by using the wrong PW due to not remembering how it was handled best the last time the event was run.

On the other hand, AWR is generally cake compared to most of the events Oktagon seems fond of, so I'd save the complaining for when they run Bo4T, or another 5 node event...You'll get some negative backup then, methinks... ;)
  • bk1234
    Thuran said:
    Frankly i enjoy it a lot more when i have to give thought to my deckbuilding for the event. 

The problem is when the best for all 6 nodes is just to build the same deck, with variance in which creature type you use, or only pull out all spells.

The most fun are the pauper-style events, where you are more restricted by your colours, since you don't get to use most no-brainer multicolour cards, and are pushed into cards you usually never use.

I think some dedicated pauper or peasant events could be quite fun :)
    I play AWR and HoD in pauper with my alt and it’s a lot of fun. It has taken my game to a different level because I’m forced to use cards I’ve never considered in my main. 

I would love to see pauper events. Vets complain a lot about lack of challenge and they would cause us to think outside the box and explore cards and strategies we ignore with our complacency. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    My saved planeswalker decks tend to end up being standard events relevant for the currently most common events.
    So I have to update things the first time an event is run after a set change (but that's fun anyway) and if I want to try something completely new, but otherwise I am usually already set up...

Most decks have multiple uses, so having a "mostly spell-less" deck applies to many things or a few different variations of "creatureless".
    I mostly use the different planeswalkers for different roles and treat them partly like deckslots (rather than buying all the deckslots which I can't afford!" so Saheeli is spell-less, Samut is speed. Basic Gideon is now awesome for knights because of the bodyguard and his first ability.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    My personal take is that it takes 5 minutes. I look at the objectives, think for a minute , then pick 10 cards. I build 90% of my pve decks on the fly the day of the event . It's a deck building game, so you're going to have to build decks . Seems fair. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    My personal take is that it takes 5 minutes. I look at the objectives, think for a minute , then pick 10 cards. I build 90% of my pve decks on the fly the day of the event . It's a deck building game, so you're going to have to build decks . Seems fair. 

Yep, some of us can do that. Some need practise and testing (though they can possibly get to that point later!).

There are different parts of the game and you can be good at different bits. You could be awesome at matching but bad at building or even prioritising in hand. Different skills.

I have a friend in Paper Magic who hates building his own decks, so he buys a new prebuilt deck every expansion and plays that to perfection... Shrug. Every path is OK!
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    jimpark said:
    I hate you guys... :D so much optimism and happiness lol

Where are all my complainers at?  >:)
    Image result for you summoned me funny