Q&A w/ Oktagon - July + August Edition (8/31/18)

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    As has been discussed, the animations issue is not just about cards, but to give you a _really_ easy example to see what we mean...

Play Green/White Huatli with Path of Discovery and Vampire Conquisatador and the Forerunner. Have her first ability out and start playing multiple Vampires. You get heaps of gem matches, but it starts slowing down incredibly because of the "loyalty" animations...

You don't need a graphical arc to show this at all, but if you _do_ want to signify it then just have her face flicker for a microsecond. If IN TESTING this still causes problems then have it only occur the first time per turn and maybe 1 in 10 times after that.

There are a lot of things where you DO need to draw people's eyes to things, it's just the current approach is really really stuck in one particular type of animation. Drawing lines is VERY slow, making the destination flicker is not.

I like this flicker idea
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How do you plan on speeding up / removing animations?
    The plan is to allow players the choice between the following options:
    • Current Animations - Cards pop up and automatically close.
    • No Animations - Cards don't pop up
    • Reader Mode - Cards pop up and close only on tap
    Hopefully this will allow experienced players the ability to play faster, while also allowing newer players the opportunity to get familiar with cards and effects as they encounter them.

Regardless of animation on or off:
    Huatli raidiant champions 1st ability token - when PW gems are matched it should just flash/flicker the PWs picture, as i quoted above

Thopter spy network or any kind of token reinforcement - pop up the first token card (i.e. a vampire token) and then skip any additional token card pop ups and greatly increase the speed that the vampire tokens reinforce (the flashing and then x2 x3 x4 etc) animations off can have the flashing removed and the "x2, x3, x4" double speed.

Animation off:
    Cards like plague wind or great aurora should not kill creatures or supports 1 by 1. If 3 creatures are getting killed then they should get the death animation all together (i.e -x to toughness on all three creatures). Blowing up 5 supports with great aurora? Not 1 by 1 but all at once. 

Animation off:
    Enrage animation - i dont need the card to pop up and see the claw/teeth animation 

Attack phase - All creatures should attack as if they had first strike. The animation is faster

Animation off:
    Attack phase - creatures do not attack 1 by 1. If 3 of my creatures are attacking the attack animation should be all at once. This one could be complex due to attack phase triggers, on death trigger, etc ordering. 

When i draw a card i should ALWAYS see the card drawn pop up. But for animations off mode maybe increase the speed to 2x
  • MtgPQPro
    MtgPQPro Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Jimpark should be a paid consultant!!!  Everything in the post above is 100% needed.  These changes will have a positive impact on every player every match.