Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Comments

• kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think for ** go for Wolvie or Ares... for Thor I think the *** Lazy Thor makes more sense and better ISO investment
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Added a when do i start pumping iso into 3* section, changed BP description and added lazythor. Marked the 2* cover progression reward tip as a todo for later.
  • A note you may want to add to The Hood's entry-

If you play with characters which are good at generating black and/or stealing tiles, such as an OBW with the proper skills, that "Intimidation" power gets to be an easy few hundred damage every few turns as opposed to having to nearly fill up the yellow to use the pistols and probably end up doing less damage than 2-3 intimidation usages.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Milkrain wrote:
    I'm sitting on 30K ISO and am consistently winning at least 1-2 3** covers each event but my 3* are still sitting at 4-7 covers and the only one that I can currently level past level 85 is Loki (which I would like to do to battle all those strike tiles) but everywhere I hear he's terrible.

So do I just wait until I have a 3* that I can level past 100 before dumping ISO into him/her? Or do I just level all 3* as I go?

Great thread otherwise.

Pros
      If you like him, he'll be finished and you don't have to think about it. (this is big for me) His black destroys any Strike tile team, especially Daken if you can get it off Slightly more chance of placing in the Loki LRs. 3rd match color is green, so someone else will (probably)tank that color.
    Cons
      Tourneys - Easy target, low HP, no offensive abilities Black Ability takes 15 AP If you use OBW
      At level 82, OBW must be placed in higher order than Loki to espionage/steal black At level 85, OBW will no longer attack on black for espionage/steal At level 97, OBW must be placed in higher order than Loki to espionage/steal purple At level 99, OBW will no longer attack on black for espionage/steal.

Edit: Summation: I don't think he's a great investment compared to most other 3*.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Milkrain wrote:
    Based on the past couple of questions, it seems like the 2*->3* section of the guide would benefit from an explicit answer to the question "when should I start putting iso into 3* characters?"

^This was why I started reading this post.

I'm sitting on 30K ISO and am consistently winning at least 1-2 3** covers each event but my 3* are still sitting at 4-7 covers and the only one that I can currently level past level 85 is Loki (which I would like to do to battle all those strike tiles) but everywhere I hear he's terrible.

So do I just wait until I have a 3* that I can level past 100 before dumping ISO into him/her? Or do I just level all 3* as I go?

Great thread otherwise.

I would avoid loki like the plague if i was transitioning into 3*s: hes very narrow and doesnt do enough for the team on offense.
  • I see that Black Panther is no longer high tier. His yellow didn't quite work like we thought it would and his black already nerfed icon_e_sad.gif Poor guy icon_e_sad.gif
  • Posting for bump.

Also, Loki's black is very good against high level PVE Daken
  • I've just transitioned from 1* to 2*, the only 1* left on my roster being IM35. I've largely followed your guide in doing so, and am now playing with a team of level 50-70 2* characters. The rest of my roster consists mainly of 3* characters with 1-4 covers (waiting for more before they become useful).

I just got a Invisible Woman cover and was excited at first because this is my first 4* but then started wondering what I should do with it, since I have no roster spots left. I have to kick someone out and the likely candidates are:

- Level 50 IM35
    - Captain America - 1 blue cover
    - IM40 - 1 red cover

The logical choice would be to kick the only 1* character left standing but my 1* tanker gets more use than the other two, which I saved mainly because they are frequently buffed for PvE events. Any advice on which I should kick?

Thanks!
  • If you've got Thor as one of your level 50-70 2* team -- you mentioned him as being at level 45 in your previous roster post, so I guess you probably do -- he overlaps with Iron Man 35 as a heavy-hitting tank, and greatly surpasses him as he levels beyond 50, making Iron Man more and more redundant (I still have my Iron Man, but he's seen very little use). But I guess Iron Man might still be some use when Thor is badly hurt or downed.

The argument for booting Cap instead would be that you don't have him developed, he's not a brilliant 2*, and he should be fairly easy for you to pick up again later once you have the slots. He's buffed or required in PvE disproportionately often, though.

IM40 isn't much use for the moment, but as I said before, 3*s are worth holding on to.

I'd lean towards Cap as the one to boot, depending on just how much use you're getting out of Iron Man, but it's not an obvious choice, so just make what you want of the reasoning above.
  • Yup, my Thor is current Level 61, and aWolvie Lvl 69, so the two of them are my main heavy-hitting tanks. cStorm too, at Lvl 77, is a heavy-hitter but squishy. My other two 2* charcters are Lvl 38 OBW and Lvl 38 mnMags, which are both at lower levels than I would like (no covers!) but provide much needed support and purple use.

I have 2 questions:
    1) Is there any reason for me to keep Iron Man m35, such as frequent use in certain tournaments?
    2) Is Invisible Woman worth a roster spot even if I take forever to find more covers for her? I rarely hear people talk about her, most of the elite players generally sing the praises of cMags, Spidey, Patch and the other 3*s.
  • I just started out and first of all I wanted to thank you for all your hard work - this is by far the best guide I have found.

I also need to ask for some advice, and I thought I'd do it here instead of starting a new thread. I'm currently using a lvl 11 3/4 mBW. Is keeping her purple skill at 2 worth selling her and starting from the scratch (I can make a new 1/5 Black Widow easily)? From what I saw I'm mostly using her purple skill when I start going off with mStorm and generate excess mana. Preventing my opponents from casting is usually much easier with the stun and matching purple means she also has to tank at least one hit.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Naixiew wrote:
    Yup, my Thor is current Level 61, and aWolvie Lvl 69, so the two of them are my main heavy-hitting tanks. cStorm too, at Lvl 77, is a heavy-hitter but squishy. My other two 2* charcters are Lvl 38 OBW and Lvl 38 mnMags, which are both at lower levels than I would like (no covers!) but provide much needed support and purple use.

I have 2 questions:
    1) Is there any reason for me to keep Iron Man m35, such as frequent use in certain tournaments?
    2) Is Invisible Woman worth a roster spot even if I take forever to find more covers for her? I rarely hear people talk about her, most of the elite players generally sing the praises of cMags, Spidey, Patch and the other 3*s.

1) the only tournament youll ever use him in is the 1* only tournament, which occurs once every month or 2. I havent seen him buffed in a pve event, but its possible he might be featured in a heroic mode where you dont have any of the other featured characters (which is also unlikely). You wont miss out on too much if you get rid of im35 for the roster space, as long as youre okay with having a subpar tournament once every month+

2) iw is probably going to be a lot more useful in the coming months. With nerfs to the current dominant blue users looming, she might start to see more use among high tier players once that happens, so i would personally hold her and see what happens.
  • NorthernPolarity
    honj90 wrote:
    I just started out and first of all I wanted to thank you for all your hard work - this is by far the best guide I have found.

I also need to ask for some advice, and I thought I'd do it here instead of starting a new thread. I'm currently using a lvl 11 3/4 mBW. Is keeping her purple skill at 2 worth selling her and starting from the scratch (I can make a new 1/5 Black Widow easily)? From what I saw I'm mostly using her purple skill when I start going off with mStorm and generate excess mana. Preventing my opponents from casting is usually much easier with the stun and matching purple means she also has to tank at least one hit.

You dont have too many levels in mbw, so if you can rebuild her to 2/5 easily, id go for it as long as it doesnt mess up your current team. Consider leaving her at level 1 so she doesnt tank any hits.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    I've know you've talked about going for the early Shield vs. rewards as soon as you can, but is it EVER really feasible to get those really far 2* and 3* covers? I just seems like way to much work and there are SO many blah rewards before I get to even one 2* and 3* cover. Is it even worth it?
  • NorthernPolarity
    qscxzawed wrote:
    I've know you've talked about going for the early Shield vs. rewards as soon as you can, but is it EVER really feasible to get those really far 2* and #* covers? I just seems like way to much work and there are SO many blah rewards before I get to even one 2* and 3* cover. Is it even worth it?

I was referring to the early 1* covers, ill make that clearer in a future update. The 2*/3*s are pretty unobtainable as you said.
  • qscxzawed wrote:
    I've know you've talked about going for the early Shield vs. rewards as soon as you can, but is it EVER really feasible to get those really far 2* and #* covers? I just seems like way to much work and there are SO many blah rewards before I get to even one 2* and 3* cover. Is it even worth it?

I was referring to the early 1* covers, ill make that clearer in a future update. The 2*/3*s are pretty unobtainable as you said.

So don't try unless like, nothing else is going on? Or would that be a waste of MMR?
  • NorthernPolarity
    qscxzawed wrote:
    qscxzawed wrote:

So don't try unless like, nothing else is going on? Or would that be a waste of MMR?

Thor is at 1.6k. The leaders of the tournament all have maxed out 3*s and are sitting at 1-1.3k, so getting the 2* covers is pretty much impossible. I would lazily try for 1k points for the hp but i think youll hit a wall earlier than that. Going for 450 seems good for the 100hp though.
  • There was also an Avenges tournament where you needed IM35. Unfortunately, I had just sold mine icon_e_sad.gif

• You dont have too many levels in mbw, so if you can rebuild her to 2/5 easily, id go for it as long as it doesnt mess up your current team. Consider leaving her at level 1 so she doesnt tank any hits.

Thanks, I did that and it works like a charm (at least in PvE content).
  • Naixiew wrote:
    Yup, my Thor is current Level 61, and aWolvie Lvl 69, so the two of them are my main heavy-hitting tanks. cStorm too, at Lvl 77, is a heavy-hitter but squishy. My other two 2* charcters are Lvl 38 OBW and Lvl 38 mnMags, which are both at lower levels than I would like (no covers!) but provide much needed support and purple use.

I have 2 questions:

1) the only tournament youll ever use him in is the 1* only tournament, which occurs once every month or 2. I havent seen him buffed in a pve event, but its possible he might be featured in a heroic mode where you dont have any of the other featured characters (which is also unlikely). You wont miss out on too much if you get rid of im35 for the roster space, as long as youre okay with having a subpar tournament once every month+

2) iw is probably going to be a lot more useful in the coming months. With nerfs to the current dominant blue users looming, she might start to see more use among high tier players once that happens, so i would personally hold her and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice! While I was deliberating the choice, the new PvE started and gifted me 200HP which added to my existing 50, gave me a new roster spot! So I managed to keep both in the end icon_e_biggrin.gif

I also realised that with regards to your first point, IM35 alone is not going to win much in a 1* only tournament, without his other companions mStorm and mBW, so I guess it's going to be the next to go... Now that both Thor and aWolvie are at Lvl 77, IM35 is seriously not seeing any action, except to play Prologue once in a while...