Vaevictis and Teferi's Ult [Investigating]

Snappyturtle
Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
Just fought a Vaevictis with the Ult support out on my side.  When it attacks it makes me draw to trigger the exile. The problem is when it's first draw+full mana effect triggers it gets exiled before it can destroy a creature or support. Half of the cards abilities are rendered useless. If anyone can confirm with Murder and it's flash?

//Edited Title - Tombstone

Comments

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry for my confusion, but just to clarify, your Teferi's Major Zhalfir's Fate Token is being exiled before it can exile anything from your opponent? 
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    The card lists its actions in the following sequence:  
    On attack:
    1a) Destroy creature; else
    1b) Destroy support; else
    1c) Force a discard.  
    2) Force a draw
    3) If drawn card was Creature or Support, give it full mana.  

What it seems Snappyturtle is describing, is that the order is somewhat backwards:
    1) Force a draw.
    2) If Creature or Support, give it mana.
    3) Destroy Creature/Support/discard.  

In this instance, if the Draw is forced first, it triggers Teferi's Major Zhalfir's Fate to exile Vaevictis.  
    This is keeping Vaevictis from destroying a creature on Teferi's side, or the Major Zhalfir's Fate support.  

If the sequence as written on the card is followed, in a case where Major Zhalfir's Fate is the only support and no creatures on Teferi's side, Vaevictis would destroy the Support before it forced the draw, and thus Major Zhalfir's Fate would not be out to exile Vaevictis.  

The ordering of actions from Vaevictis needs to be checked.  I'm not 100% certain of the sequences as described above, but it should follow a consistent logic.  
    I have, through my own use of Vaevictis, seen it force a discard before a draw when my opponent had no creature/support out.  But I was not paying close enough attention to see if the destruction of an existing creature/support happens before a forced draw in all cases.

Snappyturtle's suggestion that Murder might be used to verify the sequence of actions (as an alternative to Major Zhalfir's Fate) is a good one to try, though it might kill Vaevictis before any of the associated actions occur.
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Tombstone said:
    Sorry for my confusion, but just to clarify, your Teferi's Major Zhalfir's Fate Token is being exiled before it can exile anything from your opponent? 

Enygma6 said:

What it seems Snappyturtle is describing, is that the order is somewhat backwards:
    1) Force a draw.
    2) If Creature or Support, give it mana.
    3) Destroy Creature/Support/discard.  

Pretty much this. Does #1 and Vae gets exiled. It still gives the card mana since I guess it does those 2 actions simultaneously. But doesn't destroy a creature or support before being exiled.

It does the bottom half of the cards description. But gets exiled before the first half can trigger.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, now I see. Thank you.

Yes, the order of operations seems to be off. I'll relay this to the team for review.