What's the status of 7-day PVE and Heroic PVE events?

StevO-J
StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
As the title pretty much says, will 7-day events or Heroic events ever be run again? Are they being evaluated or something, and maybe they will return in another form (shortened to 3 or 4 days maybe) or totally redesigned? Or did I miss an announcement on this subject at some point?

It would be nice if someone with a red name could shed some light on this. @Brigby or @IceIX maybe? Anyone?

I ask this not only because I still have some Vault tokens for most of those events, I didn't open them last time they ran because the Vaults didn't hold anything useful back then so if I decide to open them now I lose nothing aside from slightly higher chance on 4*s maybe, but that's ok. I mainly ask this because I enjoyed most of those events and I hope I'm not the only one, even if I know they were not the most popular events around. For the Heroic PVE events I have pretty much given up hope that they will ever return, since they have been absent for well over a year (2 maybe?), but I am quite interested to hear if any of the 7-day events will ever appear again, especially Enemy of the State. I think EotS is one of the most enjoyable events in the game (even with Wolvie/Gorgon getting free red AP) and would really like to see it return occaisionally. If not for enjoyment then for breaking the monotony of the current PVE events.

A while ago I think it was mentioned that the Fight for Wakanda PVE was being looked at and was 'suspended' for the time being, but it would be nice if the fate of 7-day events could be adressed at some point in a somewhat official capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    This was announced yesterday in the Sneak Peek thread:
    The Hulk - 7 Day Event (9/13/18) *New Update*
    Featured Characters:
    5-Star: Okoye
    4-Star: Emma Frost
    3-Star: Luke Cage (Hero for Hire)
    2-Star: Human Torch (Johnny Storm)
  • StevO-J
    This was announced yesterday in the Sneak Peek thread:
    The Hulk - 7 Day Event (9/13/18) *New Update*

Well.. I missed that one..  :s

Still, the question somewhat remains for Heroic events.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the Heroics’ time has passed. Never say never and all that, but it’s been years.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    UGH the first 7-day event in ages and they run the worst one >_<
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    The “problem” with Heroics is the limited rosters.  While many higher end players loved this because it was a true challenge to use your limited roster and who will work the best together.   I really hope they come back soon.  They are greatly missed.  
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Taking choices away from the player is not a good thing to do.

The devs acknowledged this when they removed the restriction against using characters that are opponents in story nodes.

This principle is why I support the continued absence of Heroic events.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like to see a modified version of the Heroic-type event with anti-boosting. You can use your whole roster, but none of your characters are above a specified level... maybe 270. Even if you have a max-champed 5*, that character would be brought down during that event.
  • StevO-J
    The “problem” with Heroics is the limited rosters.  While many higher end players loved this because it was a true challenge to use your limited roster and who will work the best together.   I really hope they come back soon.  They are greatly missed.  
    Taking choices away from the player is not a good thing to do.

The devs acknowledged this when they removed the restriction against using characters that are opponents in story nodes.

This principle is why I support the continued absence of Heroic events.
    The last few times the Heroics ran the roster restrictions were already removed. And I remember the Venom Heroic being completely redesigned after which it had more opponents than just the Dark Avengers. Ok, there was a Carnage/Muscle/Muscle essential node that was brutal, but there were no further roster restrictions. You could say they were pretty much like other PVE events, so I simply don't understand why they were retired. No statement has ever been issued as to why this happened (if it happened..?).

I can't say I was convinced that some red name forumite would actually take the effort (or be able?) to issue a statement about this when I posted my initial question, but who knows... I might be surprised. It's just that, in my opinion, if the decision has been made to retire certain events it shouldn't happen without even a marginal form of explanation. Then again, communication has been found to be lacking on more occaisions.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    I wouldn't necessarily say that there are any events that are retired; events that are much less frequent, I'd agree with you there. I'm sure there are always moments though when we may want to brush them off and run them again.

I personally don't know exactly why they're run far less now, but I would speculate (when it comes to The Hulk, at least) that it has to do with the long duration of the event, as well as the frequency of Dark Avengers as the opponents. That would explain why the schedule has since prioritized a mixture of more 3 and 4 day Story Events that offer a variety of different enemies.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    It seems to me that it used to be we'd get a 7-day event in front of a 5* release, or at least it sticks out in my mind that way. I always assumed it was a way to give everybody 2-3 tries at the special store that wasn't hoarding since there is a good slug of CP at the top of it.

The pair of Frosts in this one will be 10-11 for me, so that's one less character on my "not eligible for 209" list
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    They could update the people you fight in them so that we aren't fighting Dark Avengers all the time. 
    For whatever reason,  its really hard for them to go back and update those events.  apparently its not some copy and paste job.  You can tell their reluctance because every repeat event carry overs the same bug issues.
  • StevO-J
    Brigby said:
    I personally don't know exactly why they're run far less now, but I would speculate (when it comes to The Hulk, at least) that it has to do with the long duration of the event, as well as the frequency of Dark Avengers as the opponents. That would explain why the schedule has since prioritized a mixture of more 3 and 4 day Story Events that offer a variety of different enemies.
    First of all, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

As for the quoted section, that could be a valid explanation... I would just like to add that that would also seem like a good reason to maybe run EotS or Prodigal Sun a bit more.. two 7-day events where you fight (almost?) no Dark Avengers.  o:)

Anyway, we'll see what the future brings. Maybe some new event for anniversary, idk.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah, but they changed that to a fully open roster before they axed them. And then the problem was being just so very, very bored of fighting the same handful of Dark Avengers over and over and over.
    It's why I dislike the Hulk event.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    I'm realizing that 7-day events are kind of a pain for me. My week is structured such that some parts of my week work best with Slice 1 and some work better with Slice 2 and they don't really mix well and neither works all the time for me.

Not saying I should be catered to, or that I'm not going to do whatever I can to handle the 7-day as I'm able, but I know I won't be hitting T20 or better at any point throughout (when that is something possible for me).
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I always assumed they axed 7 day events because they gave out two 4* covers.

And while I'm glad they appear to be back, The Hulk stinks and has always stunk. Enemy of the State is my favorite event and Prodigal Sun has a wonderful balance to it. The Hulk can have a seat next to Fight For Wakanda for all I care.
    Phumade said:
    They could update the people you fight in them so that we aren't fighting Dark Avengers all the time. 
    For whatever reason,  its really hard for them to go back and update those events.  apparently its not some copy and paste job.  You can tell their reluctance because every repeat event carry overs the same bug issues.
    I mean, at some point they did have to go back in and add the 5* node (which if memory serves is horribly positioned on some days), so it's not like they couldn't go back and add in a few more goons, switch out some DA, and fix the 5* node's position.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    I think it has more to do with the story than anything. People had a problem with Carnage in Venom Bomb so they opted to remove his red power to make those fights more tolerable. But with something like Simulator they're able to change things up and switch up characters more often since there's no central story to it. 
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I believe it was driven by reduced engagement which is kind of a bummer. I like them but I can understand why they’d run them less if they see the numbers drop.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    I always assumed they axed 7 day events because they gave out two 4* covers.

A three day and a four day give out two 4* covers in the same period of time. A Boss Event and a four day give out 5 4* covers in the same period to way more people than get that many through Placement.