Hoard or Spend dilemma (Not the regular kind)

Voldemort93
Voldemort93 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
I am currently in 3* land. I am champing up the last few of the 3 stars. I have collected covers for about half the 4 stars, but none sufficient enough to use. For the past couple of months I have used my HP only for new roster slots and my 4 star strength had been expanding. Now I still need plenty of roster slots to pack in all the available 4 stars.

I have been reading that the MPQ anniversary is coming up. I assume there will be a roster sale either for the anniversary or around X-mas. Now with my current HP rate if I hoard upto the sale,  I assume I can obtain at-least 10 slots more than at the normal price.  

But at the given rate of new 4* being pumped. More than half my HP I could collect in the next couple of months would end up being used for these new characters.  Therefore my dilemma

Should I ditch the new 4* covers for hoarding? Or roster the new covers to use in essential nodes, etc?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there's an Amazon digital sales in October. So, I doubt they would reduce the amount of HP needed to get each roster slot from 1000 to 800 for the anniversary. There was a reduction in amount of HP needed to purchase roster slot in January this year though. I believe most veteran players save up their HP to buy out the vault?

HP sales are usually 30% off the usual purchase price and it seems to have happened for the past 2 or 3 anniversaries. MPQ anniversary is on the 5th of October.

Since you are focusing on 4 stars and there are only three new 4* characters every two months or every 8 weeks, I think it's fine to roster them.

I'm curious, 

1) how many days does it take you to save up 1000 HP?

2) what's your placement in PvE usually? If you play competitively, then it's good to roster those new 4*. Even if you're not, roster them for the extra CP in their essential nodes. Not having the essential affects your placement a lot.

3) which platform are you playing MPQ on? Steam, mobile etc. There were a lot of steam sales in the last quarter of the year.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Never ditch a cover...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never ever pass on a cover for a new 4* if you have the hp to roster them. I don't know how well you do on new character releases but at the very least you have a shot at pve and pvp progression covers plus whatever covers you can get from placement in pve and pvp. Another if you're in an alliance that can get top 50-100 in pve depending on your clearance level as well as a progression cover in Shield Sim in the next season. With dilution getting worse with every new character that gets released outside of bonus heroes this is the best way to get a decent amount of covers for a new character. I remember I think it was last year that they had a pve for Howard the Duck and they treated him like he was a new character. Well I was dumb and thought that rostering him was useless since he was a limited character and I'd pretty much never get more covers for him so I just dropped down to cl5 for that event. I threw away a shot at getting like 4-5 covers for him and now my seven cover Howard is very very sad. Learn from my past mistakes.

As for a roster sale they might do one since it's the game's 5th anniversary but I wouldn't bet on it and definitely not plan your roster's development around it. It would be amazing if they do one because I have to roster more dupe 3s soon plus I'd like to spend some hp on some 10 packs here and there for Anniversary but just plan on them not doing one and then if they announce one then awesome.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Don't ditch the covers. With dilution, covers don't come easy for specific 4*s. Just don't buy any roster slots until you actually need them. The next time they do have a roster slot sale (no guarantees on when that will be), spend all of your excess HP on roster slots even if you don't need them right away.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,239 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally don’t recall any roster slot sales over my 3 years of heavy play, besides the one we had earlier this year.  The devs have stated that roster slots are the biggest driver of spending in the game, and so are the least likely thing to be discounted.

Past Anniversaries have had no special discounts on resources, but have included double iso (usually) and some nice vaults with lots of opportunities to win tokens from events. Also, some special PVPs like Devil Dinosaur.

There might be some fan favorite stores around as well.

However!  We are in a new era of offers since the beginning of the year, so perhaps some bundles or HP / iso offers will also be part of the festivities. 

But I really would not count on any roster slot discount.  (Note: depending on your perspective, an HP bonus offer is the equivalent of a roster slot sale, if you are going to convert $ to HP for the purpose of adding slots.)
  • Voldemort93
    1) how many days does it take you to save up 1000 HP?

2) what's your placement in PvE usually? If you play competitively, then it's good to roster those new 4*. Even if you're not, roster them for the extra CP in their essential nodes. Not having the essential affects your placement a lot.

3) which platform are you playing MPQ on? Steam, mobile etc. There were a lot of steam sales in the last quarter of the year.

1) About 7 days.

2) My placement varies. All new character events I play competitively. Usually around T100-T200

3) I play in Mobile
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    My roster is in a similar state as yours, so my advice is to chase after and roster all 4*s.  Don't waste any 4* covers, because dilution is so bad, you need all the help you can get to max cover 4*s.  Once all your 3*s are champed, you'll be working on 4*s for a very long time, so start now to get those covers. 

Out of curiosity, are the majority of your 3* champs above or below level 183?  Because level 183 champ reward is a 4* cover. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    When all HP is being devoted to roster slots there's no reason to hoard. When you get 1000HP, buy a slot. Waiting for a roster slot sale, which may never happen, is only going to stunt your growth. Don't plan on one for the anniversary, don't plan on one for Christmas. It's more than likely there won't be a sale.

If you really enjoy this game and are in it for the long haul, you'd be better served tucking away some real life $$$ and treating yourself during an HP sale to buy some slots.
  • Voldemort93
    @Dormammu You always have the wisest of the words  :)

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards

Perhaps you can bargain with him for some more wisdom
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    bbigler said:

Perhaps you can bargain with him for some more wisdom
    I have a soul going spare if anyone’s interested 🤗