Sort by colours

Options
Ed_Dragonrider
Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
Hello Everyone!

I've become suspicious of yellow colours, more accurately of yellow powers.

I'm pretty firmly in 3* land and most of the teams I end up using are of my 3*s (as even boosted the 4*s I have are weak as kitten fluff).
I very much subscribe to covering the rainbow, gathering AP that no one can use seems such a waste to me. But regardless of what teams I assemble I always have trouble finding a good yellow.

So I decided to make myself a list of all the colour combinations and see what character has what. I did this for the 3* tier and up, and guess what? I wasn't really wrong.

Assuming red/yellow/green is exactly the same as yellow/red/green or whichever combination, what I found is:

In the 3* tier: 

Green/purple/black with 5 characters having this combination (Blade, Bullseye, Iron Fist, Loki, Thanos) is the clear favourite.

Psylocke, Storm, Black Widow, Daredevil and Switch are all one of a kind in their combinations.

There are not one but two!! combinations that nobody has: yellow/black/purple and red/purple/yellow
--------
The 4* tier is fairly evenly covered, all combinations are accounted for (I included everyone: Devil Dino, Howard, and the new Dazzler as well) but some only have 2 characters while other combinations with 5 characters are way more popular.
--------
The 5* tier despite it's small size is quite well covered, only one colour combination missing: blue/green/yellow.
--------
I've made a spreadsheet which I will attempt to share :) in case anyone wants to have a more detailed look at the distributions. I hope it might be useful for anyone trying to assemble a team based on colours.
And perhaps the devs might find it interesting too, (if they ever want to roll out more 3*s they might consider making it a missing combination instead of an already popular one). ;)

Thanks for reading:

Ed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hBZob3wnfOj3Xb2yjMEVwoj5Cvt_-rpjKr_rhYGjrS0/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rainbow teams are overrated.

That's not snark, that's simple truth. The further I got in this game, the less I cared about color coverage for either AP use or match damage. It was somewhere in the early days of my 4-star career that I stopped caring about rainbows entirely. Passives and synergy between characters are all that matter to me now. Three characters can have the exact same colors for all I care, as long as they work well together.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You really won’t see a better active yellow.  For the most part (yes there are many exceptions).  They stick with color themes.  Blue is almost always stun associated, yellow is health etc...

While it’s ideal to get full color coverage,  the devs purposely design and release chars that a good “pairing” only uses 4 or 5 colors out of six.

youll get much better mileage and efficiency if you pick your pairs for synergy and coordinate around the featured/essential
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Rainbow teams are overrated.

That's not snark, that's simple truth. The further I got in this game, the less I cared about color coverage for either AP use or match damage. It was somewhere in the early days of my 4-star career that I stopped caring about rainbows entirely. Passives and synergy between characters are all that matter to me now. Three characters can have the exact same colors for all I care, as long as they work well together.
    And as soon as I get to 4* land I'm sure i'll stop caring too, but for now I'm stuck caring. The only use I have for 4*s is getting access to their required nodes, where they immediately become dead weight. I obviously need to use what is boosted that week(it's rare to have my best characters boosted, especially together if they have good synergy), otherwise even champs can drop like flies and so sometimes I feel like the only thing I can do is try to be well prepared for whatever colour misery the board decides to inflict on me.

Also, while I know the forums are mostly populated by the higher lvl players, perhaps there are others here (perhaps in silent lurker mode) in similar situations who are also stuck caring about it. Maybe it can help them?

Or even just as a curiosity, I thought it might be of interest to someone...
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Options
    Phumade said:

youll get much better mileage and efficiency if you pick your pairs for synergy and coordinate around the featured/essential
    I do try to do just that. But for instance the recent Sinister-six event really had me pinned. Sandman was nearly unbeatable, and the only thing I could do was try to collect as much yellow out from under him as possible. That's when I started looking at yellows, looking for someone that can actually use them. I ended up using star lord, but he wasn't boosted so he went down really quickly. Looking for a good yellow, whether active or passive or whatever was what made me realise, there aren't that many characters with yellow, of any kind. This is why I made the list... and why I'm harping on about yellows specifically. It's not that there aren't any characters at all with yellows or that I don't have a single character with a yellow, it's just that there are less options to choose from. And against some enemies, that can be fatal. :(
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    boss events can be tricky because of the unique chars and the effects of various buffs.  

and when the devs didn't allow mirror matching in pve, it could be incredibly tricky to build good teams when various chars kept getting locked out.

My advice to you is ask your alliance or talk to some people who can send you appropriate TUs.

There were plenty of times, when I had to step out of the training alliance I was helping and go back to a T25 alliance to get appropriate TUs for various types of battles.

The next time you have a hard boss node / wave come post here, and list out your roster and scl.  Its actually pretty straightforward for us to give team suggestions and recommendations.

In any case,  There are already several color wheels for abilities, but I don't know if thats been maintained or updated.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I can't deal with more than 1 unusable color. I'm even annoyed with my 5* rainbow team, DD and JJ, because her damning evidence generates useless yellow for DD.
    I like thinking about rainbow pairs, even if they aren't that important. Nico and Ghost Rider/Dazzler both work as good rainbow pairs, and they have decent synergy. I also tend to choose Grocket and Drax since they cover the rainbow, and I only use it for easy nodes.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:

I do try to do just that. But for instance the recent Sinister-six event really had me pinned. Sandman was nearly unbeatable, and the only thing I could do was try to collect as much yellow out from under him as possible. That's when I started looking at yellows, looking for someone that can actually use them. I ended up using star lord, but he wasn't boosted so he went down really quickly. Looking for a good yellow, whether active or passive or whatever was what made me realise, there aren't that many characters with yellow, of any kind. This is why I made the list... and why I'm harping on about yellows specifically. It's not that there aren't any characters at all with yellows or that I don't have a single character with a yellow, it's just that there are less options to choose from. And against some enemies, that can be fatal. :(
    In a case like S6/Sandman, you also have to look at characters that use his yellow generation against him.  Don't know your roster, but XFW Black, Mordo Purple, 3* Thor (if you have a 4* green user), etc. can help.  Most of the time Bosses respond to brute force, but the wave nature of S6 makes it a little more puzzly than others.  The event was a lot harder when they didn't reset enemies AP after each wave.  

• Ed_Dragonrider
    Options
    Phumade said:

The next time you have a hard boss node / wave come post here, and list out your roster and scl.  Its actually pretty straightforward for us to give team suggestions and recommendations.

Oh thank you so much! (I actually asked my alliance if anyone had a 3* character recommendation against sandman, but no one even answered. I guess they didn't know either.)

Straycat said:
    Call me old fashioned, but I can't deal with more than 1 unusable color. I'm even annoyed with my 5* rainbow team, DD and JJ, because her damning evidence generates useless yellow for DD.

Hah! :)  Knew I couldn't be the only one! :)

How does JJ generate yellow though??? I have a single blue cover for her so I usually use her as tank, but that just means I cant fire blue or I wont be able to "see" her trap tiles.

In a case like S6/Sandman, you also have to look at characters that use his yellow generation against him.  Don't know your roster, but XFW Black, Mordo Purple, 3* Thor (if you have a 4* green user), etc. can help.  Most of the time Bosses respond to brute force, but the wave nature of S6 makes it a little more puzzly than others.  The event was a lot harder when they didn't reset enemies AP after each wave.  

I don't really have 4*s yet. By which I mean I have about 45 of them but can use none, because they all only have 1-2 covers. Ugh! I hate dilution!  :'(  :'(

I used 3*Star Lord, his yellow creates green charged tiles by turning the enemies strongest colour, which in this case was sandman's yellow. So not only did I use up the yellows, I turned the rest to green, then used those to blast him with the green milano which also cleared 3 rows often destroying further yellows (or yellow build-up situations).
    When sandman came after doc ock I could stock up and go into the new wave with guns blazing, but when he was first or came after the goblin+carnage double it was just pure murder. That last one happened in round 7 I think and I came out alive (sort of) and victorious only once out of the all the times I tried it. I did the other node just fine, every time, but this was just not having it.

The thought of enemy APs not resetting horrifies me! This was more then hard enough!
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    Options

I’m still deep in 3* land and mainly only using 4* during PVE essentials.

For me, I have a hard time covering black.   But, I discovered that I don’t care because of the synergy between the three characters I am using. 

I rely heavily on Dr. Strang3 right now (though, I am slowly being able to move away from him as my 4* tier builds).  I found two great teams that will win me a lot of matches and relatively fast and neither of these teams has black.  First team:  Strang3, Switch, and CMags.    Second team:  Strang3, GSBW, and IM40. 

Side note: I really like Cmags yellow because of its powerful protect tiles.  IM40 yellow is really cheap and feeds Strang3 and GSBW wonderfully. 

BTW, I like your chart.  It's informative.  

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gamependium has a really cool tool for this. I use it a lot when I have two characters I know I want to use, and the third doesn't matter so much as long as they can carry their own weight.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,117 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In 3-star land, here is a list of the characters with active yellow abilities:

• Beast
    • Black Panther
    • Colossus
    • Cyclops
    • The Hood
    • Iron Man
    • Luke Cage
    • Magneto
    • Sentry
    • Spider-Man
    • Squirrel Girl
    • Star-Lord
    • Steve Rogers
    • Storm
    • Thor
    • Vision
    While normally I'd put Iron Man's yellow head and shoulders above everyone else's on this list, it's kind of a dud vs Sandman, as his yellow matches will inevitably match two of your yellows, leaving one yellow to go off and stun Iron Man for two turns.  The same issue holds true for Black Panther, Colossus, Squirrel Girl, Sentry, and Steve Rogers: Their yellow special abilities make yellow tiles.

From this list, I'd probably say your top three choices would be:
    Storm - With lots of yellow on the board, there's a good chance and the board shake provided by her getting rid of the team-ups, there's a good chance you'll get enough yellow to cast it again in a turn or two.  Her Green will also help with the other AP your team will need.  3-star Rainbow team with Deadpool and Daken. Added bonus of DROP ALL THE WHALES if things get messy

Thor - Gets rid of some yellow on the board, and the yellow helps speed up his green.  3-star Rainbow team with Daken and Loki/Blade.  Loki's mischief will go off several times a match, and you'll certainly get a good amount of yellow matches with Loki's Illusions. If you go with Blade, Daken's strikes will help power up Blade's attack tiles...if you ever get eneough purple for it to work.

Luke Cage - You don't need AoE for a one person enemy team. Set his passive to 5 if you can, to help mitigate some of the match damage.  Quasi-rainbow team with Patch and Falcon.  They don't use blue, but Falcon wants you to have a lot of blue for his passive.  All the yellow matches will boost Cage/Falcon's protect tiles, as well as Patch's strikes.  Dr Strange could also work here. Although Sandman doesn't get stunned, you can put the countdown tile on a yellow to try and drain some of the Yellow AP he uses. Just hope it doesn't get matched away immediately.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone!

The next time i have to face Sandman i'm sure i'll do waaay better! :) 
    (If not, i'll come crying to you again  :p )
    Thanks for all the great tips and advice!

Ed