IT'S HAPPENING - Dazzler (Classic)! (9/4/18)

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alfje17 said:
    Paste-pot Pete, Arcade, Spider-Ham, Beta Ray Bill, Dr Bong and yet no mention of Impossible Man?
    HAHAHA, seems like the same cast of characters we always shout out, I put up Impossible Man and Warlock in an old post :)

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/786418#Comment_786418

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Contrary to popular belief, her Black Passive Stun is not easy to use.  It requires 2 conditions, you have 2+ friendly specials AND she gets hit harder than normal 4*match damage.  Your consolation prize for her getting hit is a free stun and maybe remove enemy specials.  So, it's a trade off, she gets hurt while you stun the enemy.  With that strategy, she'll need a health pack after every battle.
    On Offense: Let's say you use Carnage and Medusa with Dazzler: attack tiles build up on both sides, you match some of them and eventually they are strong enough to trigger her passive.  If she tanks, you get the free stun for 3-4 turns and remove most of their attack tiles.  Maybe by now you can fire off her Green for some big AOE.  OK, that sounds good, but then what?  Her passive isn't going to trigger again because the enemy attack tiles are gone.  You then have to build up again.  If the enemy is about to fire a power, you can try to put her in front to get another stun, but she's still getting hurt.  Plus, with Carnage, she's only tanking Black, not red or green. 
    Against 5* Match Damage: now this strategy could work against high level 5*s to get constant stuns, but it still requires many special tiles (maybe 4*Grocket?) and for her to tank.  Just to keep this strategy going, she would need burst healing too.  Perhaps 4*Widow could help, but with Grocket on the team as well, she may only tank on Red matches.  If you played her with 5* allies, she may not tank on any colors.
    With Patch?: So, you collect green, Patch creates 6 strong Strikes for each team, Dazzler tanks, stuns for 3 turns and removes all their strikes.  Sounds good right?  Well, then what?  You can't fire Dazzler's Green AOE because Patch used your green.  You won't be getting any more stuns (unless the enemy fires a power). 
    On Defense: it's simple, get rid of their special tiles (like normal) and hit her (like normal).  If you can't get rid of their specials, then bring someone to stun, OR just hit her anyway and take the stun.  You could always just wear her down with match damage and then nuke.  I don't see her Black passive as a real problem.  It's not nearly as bad as Powerman's Black passive.
    Here's my point: her real power lies in her Green AOE.  It's cheap and powerful under the right conditions, which her Red takes care of.  Her Black passive is the back up plan in case the enemy fires a power.  It's just a side bonus to her power set. 
  • WebTangler
    WebTangler Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Oh, why not:  with Dazzler in, I'm shifting my Character: Impossible (no, not the green one) mission to someone we can't get.

Let the fog of licensing clear and grant Rom:  Spaceknight!

• bbigler
    edited September 2018
    Let's say you want to use Dazzler against Grocket + Gamora + Medusa.  You bring your own 4*Grocket to trigger Dazzler's stun immediately on Medusa and remove 6 of their strikes.  Great, problem solved.  Then what?  Well, if you brought IM40, you could charge up Dazzler's Red & Green & Grocket's Blue. If you brought Vulture, you could charge up her Green and his Blue, but not red.  Of course, if you brought your own 4*Gamora, you could keep Medusa stunned and create more specials too.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Classic Dazzler #1 cover.  Good choices all around.  This is how a new release should be done.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
     Her passive isn't going to trigger again because the enemy attack tiles are gone.  You then have to build up again.
    The passive will remove enemy Special Tiles if they're there, but they aren't required to trigger it. As long as you have enough Special Tiles and she gets hit for enough damage, the Stun will trigger, regardless of whether or not the enemy has Special Tiles out. It got covered earlier in the thread.
    Alfje17 said:
    Paste-pot Pete, Arcade, Spider-Ham, Beta Ray Bill, Dr Bong and yet no mention of Impossible Man?
    No. He's impossible.

Seriously, tho, now I want Kitty Pryde in game.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think @bbigler is talking about using Carnage's enemy attack tiles to trigger Dazzler: if Dazzler removes those tiles when her passive triggers, then it is going to limit the use of that strategy.

The power looks decent even without self-damage tricks.  At 5 covers, the passive activates when she loses roughly 5% of her maximum health.  If that's damage your team would be taking anyway, then a stun and enemy special tile removal seems like a decent bonus.

Now, if the passive also removed invisibility tiles, I'd say that it was designed as a perfect counter to Ghost.  So what do you think the chances of next week's support release having a "removes invisibility tiles" synergy perk?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think her perks got to be about putting more strike tiles or increasing the damage of her strike tiles.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,241 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Our 71st 4*, 73rd if you include Dino and Duck. It would have been neat to make her #75. Missed opportunity, perhaps.

Also:  with Dazzler, you need 2,769 covers to get all the non limited 4’s to 13 covers. Assuming no saved covers.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    I just used Dazzler in the Shield Training. Her HP was 13995 and she was ran at 3/5/5.

I decided to save up 30 red ap and 14 green ap. Hulkbuster was helpful in boosting the presence of red tiles. 

BW was quite irritating so I decided to down her first because she was stealing my ap! I used her red ability thrice. Total damage of strike tiles was 4509. I used her green after that and it did 9290 AoE damage. Two green wasn't enough to down Moonstone though.

I didn't manage to trigger her black passive in the first round so I decided to play another round with her. The animation of her black passive is pretty funny to me. I can only say, "What a troll!"

• grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Hovertext/tooltip for her black power is the wrong font size, like it was for IW Widow.
  • bbigler
    Yeah, I played her this morning in Shield Training and fired all 3 of her powers.  Had 16 Red when placing strikes, her Green AOE did 6000+ team damage as expected, and late in the match Electra hit her, but then she hit back with a 4-turn stun.  Unfortunately, my animations and sound were turned off, so I need to play that node again.    
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Contrary to popular belief, her Black Passive Stun is not easy to use.  It requires 2 conditions, you have 2+ friendly specials AND she gets hit harder than normal 4*match damage.  Your consolation prize for her getting hit is a free stun and maybe remove enemy specials.  So, it's a trade off, she gets hurt while you stun the enemy.  With that strategy, she'll need a health pack after every battle.
    On Offense: Let's say you use Carnage and Medusa with Dazzler: attack tiles build up on both sides, you match some of them and eventually they are strong enough to trigger her passive.  If she tanks, you get the free stun for 3-4 turns and remove most of their attack tiles.  Maybe by now you can fire off her Green for some big AOE.  OK, that sounds good, but then what?  Her passive isn't going to trigger again because the enemy attack tiles are gone.  You then have to build up again.  If the enemy is about to fire a power, you can try to put her in front to get another stun, but she's still getting hurt.  Plus, with Carnage, she's only tanking Black, not red or green. 
    Against 5* Match Damage: now this strategy could work against high level 5*s to get constant stuns, but it still requires many special tiles (maybe 4*Grocket?) and for her to tank.  Just to keep this strategy going, she would need burst healing too.  Perhaps 4*Widow could help, but with Grocket on the team as well, she may only tank on Red matches.  If you played her with 5* allies, she may not tank on any colors.
    With Patch?: So, you collect green, Patch creates 6 strong Strikes for each team, Dazzler tanks, stuns for 3 turns and removes all their strikes.  Sounds good right?  Well, then what?  You can't fire Dazzler's Green AOE because Patch used your green.  You won't be getting any more stuns (unless the enemy fires a power). 
    On Defense: it's simple, get rid of their special tiles (like normal) and hit her (like normal).  If you can't get rid of their specials, then bring someone to stun, OR just hit her anyway and take the stun.  You could always just wear her down with match damage and then nuke.  I don't see her Black passive as a real problem.  It's not nearly as bad as Powerman's Black passive.
    Here's my point: her real power lies in her Green AOE.  It's cheap and powerful under the right conditions, which her Red takes care of.  Her Black passive is the back up plan in case the enemy fires a power.  It's just a side bonus to her power set. 
    You bring Medusa along and you can keep Dazzler alive with burst healing. It's not like you have to have Dazzler take the first hit of damage in every match. If Dazzler is low on health then have Medusa get enough burst health from matching friendly tiles until Dazzler can safely take a hit again.
  • bbigler
    shardwick said:
    You bring Medusa along and you can keep Dazzler alive with burst healing. It's not like you have to have Dazzler take the first hit of damage in every match. If Dazzler is low on health then have Medusa get enough burst health from matching friendly tiles until Dazzler can safely take a hit again.
    The problem with using her passive stun is more about getting it to trigger frequently than healing her from it.  If the passive stun is triggered by enemy attack tiles, then she will clear them out.  If you're using a Level 270 Carnage, then it will take 11 enemy attack tiles to trigger her passive.  That's at least 4 turns of waiting and then she clears most of them out.  If you focus on matching friendly attack tiles, then Dazzler will clear fewer enemy tiles and stun less, but you still need to wait a few turns for the attack tiles to build up. 

Now, if you played this team against 5*s with match damage above 780, then this would work if she tanks (Black matches).  Carnage provides specials and Medusa provides healing, but you still have the basic problem of her only tanking on Black matches.  If she's boosted, then her damage threshold for the stun is also boosted, which is beyond 5* match damage. 

I would definitely use her against Grocket/Gamora/Medusa PVP teams by bringing along my own Grocket and Gamora.  In general, her stun is just a backup plan, not a real strategy. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    That why she can be so dangerous in 5 land.  If you bring her and Carnage along (or a good tile spammer, DD under half health) with a 5 you should be able to stun who you want when your want once the first two tiles are down, this should be turn 1 or 2 on a well designed team.  You do not want her to stun every turn, but the ability to selectively stun with the loss of a couple of tiles gives incredible control, and a type of control that we have not seen in the game to this point (no ap cost).  It may not work as well in 4 land if they cannot reach the damage threshold to pop her passive but with 5s any hit on her by a lvl 450 5 will stun that 5.  It is not foolproof but it will be effective.  She will see a lot of use in pvp and when you are using her in pve you minimize her black and max the other two and she is still excellent.  She is a solid flexible character.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Havent seen it mentioned yet, but her match speed is fast like Doctor Doom and Storm. Its a nice bonus.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    elko90 said:
    @Jarvind... didn' t you quit the game or just floating on the forum
    Just lurkin'. I haven't taken this forum off my rotation of "sites to screw around on when I'm bored" yet. It's a better community than most gaming forums which are mostly thread after thread of "I am not good at the game therefore it is terrible."
  • MarvelMatch
    MarvelMatch Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Man, I don't get why all the new characters are either Legendary or Epic. command points aren't easy to win  :(
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Man, I don't get why all the new characters are either Legendary or Epic. command points aren't easy to win  :(
    I think you answered your own question, they want you to grind/spend for em
  • MarvelMatch
    MarvelMatch Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Asmodaeus said:
    I think you answered your own question, they want you to grind/spend for emTrust me. *facepalm* Okoye needs another cover! My legends are suffering