Bring Back Multicharacter PvP

marshall
marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
I really liked the multiple choice Wolverine PvP event and it's a good compromise for 3-5* events. (Loving the new 4* PvP events btw)

Events like Divine Champions, Balance of Power, Combined Arms, whatever that was with X-Men are also fun.

Would love to see more of it at least as a LR or something.

Comments

• Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Balance Of Power is horrible. With all that super extra health it makes each match take forever. I'm in 4* land and the highest Boosted 4* enemy health I see is in the low 30k's and that's rare. The added strength of the powers don't translate as well as you would think either.

Combined Arms is cool though.
  • marshall
    BoP powers mostly scale quite well, it depends on which * rating character you are using. Juggernaut used to be a pretty popular choice.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    marshall said:
    BoP powers mostly scale quite well, it depends on which * rating character you are using. Juggernaut used to be a pretty popular choice.
    4* powers do, and of course powers with no scaling components are the same at all levels. 3* and lower powers are, largely, trash at 550, but health is so high that matches take a long time. Juggernaut has 180,000 HP, and does about 11k per headbutt.

Some like it, some don't. I'd guess that lower roster players like it because it feels 'even' and high roster players hate it for the same reason.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have no problem with it being "even". I have problems with one PvP match out-living my pets and one generation of my family....
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Interesting, I didn't have that issue in Balance of Power. I fought mostly 3-5* opponents with 4* characters, and they handled each tier pretty well. More than anything I just saw a bunch of people running the RBG/Gamora/Medusa combo to death. I'd certainly welcome it now that I have quite a few more fully/mostly covered 5-stars under belt since last run. 

To answer the OP though, I agree. That was fun being able to switch between Patch and XFW, I got to use a lot more teams that way. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Scofie said:
    I have no problem with it being "even". I have problems with one PvP match out-living my pets and one generation of my family....
    Even matches will naturally take longer, though, I would say.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Balance of Power is fun, but I agree that the matches take a lot longer.  So, if they halved the number of wins for progression rewards, them I'm all for it.  The cool thing about BOP is the team combos you can do, which normally aren't feasible.  Like combining 4*Grocket with 2*Widow to double-tap those strikes.  Or combining Okoye with 1*Spiderman for frequent power activations.  Maybe doing a 2*Storm winfinite team?  Or a 1*Widow stun lock team? 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Matches in BOP take exactly as long as normal PVP, because powers scale like health, so you still do about the same % damage per AP.

Unless you run 5s in BOP.
    Don't do that.
    Seriously, don't run 5s in BOP.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though I like Combined Arms myself it locks newer players out of being able to play pvp for an event if they don't have a 3* or 4* rostered. Devs could fix that by giving out some loaner characters to play with. Balance of Power is awful and even the seed teams take forever to beat.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Bowgentle said:
    Matches in BOP take exactly as long as normal PVP, because powers scale like health, so you still do about the same % damage per AP.

Unless you run 5s in BOP.
    Don't do that.
    Seriously, don't run 5s in BOP.
    For 5*s that's true. For the rest, health scales much faster than power damage.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Balance of Power, it's one of my favorite events. I don't know if it takes any longer to run a match and I don't really care. It's the one place you can create some cross-tier teams where the 1/2/3-stars aren't just tag-alongs. The fact that it's always an off-season event means my score don't matter, so I just have fun in it.

Plus, it's the only event where seed teams are actually threatening.  :worried:
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the concept of BoP, but would prefer the characters be scaled down to all being Lv 1 than up to Lv 550.  When the health totals are too large to be displayed, it seems a bit ridiculous.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    I like the concept of BoP, but would prefer the characters be scaled down to all being Lv 1 than up to Lv 550.  When the health totals are too large to be displayed, it seems a bit ridiculous.
    This is brilliant. Seriously.
    Okoye does adds 1 extra damage for each team-up AP the team has.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    I'd probably shoot for 300 or so (1-3's guarantee a buff, champed 4's for a decent number of players get a little buff, and higher 4's and 5's get reigned in to level the playing field), but in general I agree with a "BoP that isn't at 550."

I'd love to get to use more of my 4's, especially in PVP (where other players are coming up with their own interesting teams to serve as opponents), but even when some are boosted high enough to survive fighting with 5's, the ones they pair with are probably not boosted, and thus a liability.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Going back to the OP a bit, Claws for Concern is a really fun event, and similar ones for Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye, Spidey, or Iron Man* seem like they could also be a fun way to shake things up a bit.

*That's everyone I can think of who has an option in at least four different tiers. If including Peggy and Sam as 4* options for Cap. There's probably at least one I'm missing. There usually is.
  • marshall
    I think even characters with 3 tiers would be fine, like Hulk. They could even do something thematic, like Agents of Shield.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    marshall said:
    I think even characters with 3 tiers would be fine, like Hulk. They could even do something thematic, like Agents of Shield.
    Especially since they already ran events with similar groupings for the 12 Days of Christmas. No reason they couldn't repurpose them for PVP.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    This also goes for including increasing the heroes and villains featured in Lightning Rounds.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I love Balance of Power.  I love any PVP, in fact, that doesn't force you to use a 3* character.
  • slabag
    slabag Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    I would love to see something along the lines of a Civil War or Avengers versus X-Men pvp. Two nodes instead of three, one for each faction, similar to the 3*/4* Deadpool pvp we had. Scale to put all star tiers on an equal playing field, and include a decent selection of loaners for those without. Could be interesting and fun.