New game mode suggestion

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

I've often wondered whether I'm a bad player who doesn't use his roster to its fullest potential.  Would someone else with the same roster do better?  Would I have greater success with the roster of a super-whale?  Who would come out on top if we were all limited to the same roster?

So, here's an idea for a new event I call "The Level Playing Field".  As a concept it's loosely based on Gauntlet, but:

• There are 5 (or maybe only 1, or some other number) nodes in each event, of slowly escalating level.  Maybe some of them are wave nodes.
  • No locking out by SCL, or anything; if node 10 has 5* characters provided, even the newest player can take part.
  • Each node has a limited roster of 6 characters to choose from, same covers and level for everyone, and 2 boosts of each (normal) type.
  • Each node has challenging opposition, the same covers and level for everyone.
  • Each node has the same starting seed(s) for RNG for incoming tiles and AI and whatever, for everyone.  Different nodes in the event get different seeds.
  • Each node is playable once, whether beaten or not.  You lose, no rewards for you.
  • No slices, maybe brackets, maybe not.
  • There are two leader boards per node - fastest win (we already have this, that's how leaderboards work) and most (true) health left at the end.
  • Decent rewards for placement, maybe progression rewards.

So, shoot me down.

Comments

• Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Reminds me of the daily challenge in spelunky and I agree this game needs something like that. It would hella shake things up
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... this is like MPQ chess?

I like it, but it runs quite counter to the main driving point of MPQ, which is to build up your own roster.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

@Jaedenkaal, it's more like one-make racing.  To quote from Wikipedia (with my emphasis):

One-make racing (known as spec racing in North America) is a racing category in which all competitors race in identical or very similar vehicles from the same manufacturer, often using the same model. Typically, this means the same chassis, tyres and engine are used by all drivers. The idea behind one-make racing is that success will be based more on driver skill and car setup instead of engineering skill and budget. One-make series are popular at an amateur level as they are affordable, due to the use of a common engine and chassis.

It can also be a taste of what a higher-level roster can be like for newer players, and so perhaps encourage roster building.