After the update, the game is extremely power-hungry [Investigating]

2»

Comments

• boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I'm actually trying to eliminate variables.  Since animations are the same no matter what, it's a constant.  If there is a notable difference on wifi vs. network, the problem may have be isolated to communications rather than GPU usage. the main reason to investigate this is that I've heard of players noting that their data usage while playing the game has spiked.  Maybe they are related... maybe not.  Conjecture never solves anything though... testing does.

• MDsupa
    MDsupa Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    high Batt usage and Over heating.  I had the game shut off in middle of a match because of it. (Galaxy S7 edge)
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    boopers said:
    I'm actually trying to eliminate variables.  Since animations are the same no matter what, it's a constant.  If there is a notable difference on wifi vs. network, the problem may have be isolated to communications rather than GPU usage. the main reason to investigate this is that I've heard of players noting that their data usage while playing the game has spiked.  Maybe they are related... maybe not.  Conjecture never solves anything though... testing does.

Probably unrelated but data usage almost always spikes after a new set, sometimes just after an update. The images are NOT part of the app but get downloaded. You can even see a delay for this with tokens the very first time you cast them.

This is both good and bad in that it keeps the app itself smaller but there are these side effects...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. We've been discussing this topic internally, but I noticed that this thread stopped right when 2.8.1 arrived.

Is anyone able to confirm whether they are still experiencing this significant battery drain and overheating of their device when running the game?
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    boopers said:

Only animations are not constant; there has been a significant change in framerate of the game.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Testing it today, after 30 minutes of play, I lost 20% of my phone battery. So it’s still pretty intense. 
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Still the same for me. Drain is heavy for this particular app.
  • techmarine5
    techmarine5 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    edited August 2018
    boopers said:

For eliminating variables, I can confirm that it heats up my tablet much faster than it used to, and since I only can use wifi, this means it has to be the game as a whole. In addition, I think it drains my power more, but I haven't kept any data on it. However, I have had it die on me while charging, which it didn't do before, though that could be any number of things.
  • Brigby
    Hmm I see. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll bring it up with the team, so they can investigate further.
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    The thread stop because you're investigating and there was no reason to add anything anymore.
  • Brigby
    Could those of you still experiencing this issue please provide the make and model of the mobile device you're playing on? Thank you!
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Still the same for me. Drain is heavy for this particular app after the update to 2.8 (and also after 2.8.1)

I'm playing on an almost new Xperia XZ2 Compact with latest android available.

Playing TG and AI before drained roughly 10-15% whereas now I'm down 25-30%. Adding in TotP and I'm down to less than 50% before lunchtime.
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    I played off WiFi a little over the weekend and felt battery drain was typical. For what I expect from the game (no snark intended).
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play on an iPhone 6s
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    I play on a Samsung S4 Mini.
  • techmarine5
    techmarine5 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Acer Iconia One 10.
  • MDsupa
    MDsupa Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Samsung galaxy s6 edge
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    LG G6.  Still draining like crazy (~1% per minute playing)