The joy of a clean vine : Saved Covers appreciation thread

Options
purplemur
purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
I know it's been an update or two since but I am still so exuberant on saved covers.. Best Feature ever!

Keeping up with cover waste could sometimes feel like
Image result for futurama gif

But then we had the big July Announcement:
Saved. Covers.

We looked at our vines and springs eternal seemed to flow again
 but Alas; the delayed update:

but then not on monday

or tuesday

Once it went live; It was such happiness!

I was able to save several covers I was going to lose due to lucky(?) Heroic Token/vault and poor decision making

I want to keep Valkyrie un-leveled so that she can provide her Best Defense, So I was able to bank yellow #9 and now I can store up my rewards til I am in 5* transition and she can do her thing.

I also saved my Kingpin #14 which is great cuz my nostalgia isn't that high that I want to move him to the front of the line. Mordo and Nova been waiting

My two star farm just upgraded to Industrial Machinery and Grain Silos. I can harvest a maxxchamp if I'm impatient(or SHIELD Training) and hold a dupe til I'm back on track. I don't have to take a low sell back rate. 

It's more than just the mechanical aspects of storing and processing, it's the feeling of freedom that goes with the release of that old sense of urgency to use it before I lose it

So now my vine is staying totally clear.  I air it out after each grind sesh

I find that I'm looking forward to grinding out some resources, not driven by it. I no longer think in terms of I need to get X amount per day for 6 days to save so and so but instead "cool in a few more days I can champ my next favorite". It feels almost like progress. which is an old-new feeling. 
So even though it's more like this:

It feels like :

That's because any gains (sick, bro) I make go directly towards MY goals, I don't have to budget rechamp costs for my 3* orchard yet, I can focus on MY priorities,

even if it is Mr. Fantastic to complete the long awaited secret Bagman team that warp-whistles you to SCL10
Image result for bag on head gif
Image result for picard flute gif
Image result for star world gif

No more Flaptain or Bucky detours;
Image result for bucky worth it gif
Image result for bucky no gif
 not even boosted or as a feeder
I can round up the Spider-verse and top off TA for a hulk theme I want to 'speriment with
spider-man jk simmons GIF
Related image
Related image
I may just start investing in my 5*'s to prepare for the big transition- Soft cap them to my highest 4
come on eye roll GIF
the league no GIF
Image result for dont marvel gif
Having all these possibilities and options has me enjoying the game so much more.
Image result for loki ragnarok huge fan gif

How have your priorities shifted since inception? Who's your next champ to chase? How much do you love a clean vine?

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Covers on the vine are kind of my pet peeve so having a clean one all the time is just a pure joy. This QoL change is the biggest and most demanded one for years. Really, really happy for this change (not only clean vine but primarily no cover waste).

The only issue with cover waste is now the lack of HP to roster them and this is a problem only for beginner users and can be solved in many ways (open when you have the slots, don't waste HP on shields, health pack or packs, play a lot, farm 2*, spend some money on HP when there is a good deal). Great job Dev!
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'll say this, it's really changing the way that my 2* farm works.  I even splurged on the 10th anniversary sale with the 5000HP.  I bought it and turned those all into 2 star feeder slots.  My goal is to get 13 feeder slots for the farm.

I'm working towards dupes of all the two stars with the second one remaining at level 15.  Once I get 63 covers for the level 15 cover I sell the max champed one and immediately max champ the new one.  It's going to cut down on the regular influx of resources, but it effectively eliminates the need to divert iso to the farm.  It's mostly self sustaining now, the 7K that I have to spend is minuscule and won't detract of the overall process of building my 4 stars up.

It's enough to almost consider a 3 star farm . . . almost . . . but wow, that's a lot of roster spots. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Roland113 said:
    I'll say this, it's really changing the way that my 2* farm works.  I even splurged on the 10th anniversary sale with the 5000HP.  I bought it and turned those all into 2 star feeder slots.  My goal is to get 13 feeder slots for the farm.

I'm working towards dupes of all the two stars with the second one remaining at level 15.  Once I get 63 covers for the level 15 cover I sell the max champed one and immediately max champ the new one.  It's going to cut down on the regular influx of resources, but it effectively eliminates the need to divert iso to the farm.  It's mostly self sustaining now, the 7K that I have to spend is minuscule and won't detract of the overall process of building my 4 stars up.

It's enough to almost consider a 3 star farm . . . almost . . . but wow, that's a lot of roster spots. 
    This is what I'm doing as well for the 2* farm.  All of my 2* primaries are now at 144 except for 2.  My highest farm is a 2* wolverine L15 with 25 saved covers.  That first 50 will be a happy day.

Thought I always had 2 slots for each 2*.  Before what I did was have a primary that got champ levels and a secondary waiting in the wings at 13 covers L15.  When I would hit 144 I'd sell the 2* and use that ISO to champ the clone.  The first 13 covers would go to making a new clone then I'd start champ covering again.  That system worked OK, but my 2* levels were all over the place, which while not a major issue annoyed my ADD.  Also I would generally pick my 2* team based one whichever 3 were highest leveled, which added some variety, but also made for some longer DDQ days when the highest were Moonstone, Bullseye, and Cap for example...  Now I can pick from a group of max leveled 2* for DDQ and I have more health for if when they end up Thanos fodder.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really love this feature.  I keep 2 or 3 2*, depending on how much Thanos Death they can handle.  So now I just keep them at level 15 and wait for 50 covers.  Have already turned 3 of them over like this.   Might even try some 3* if I have dupes.  We will see.  
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see you... ... Posting... And a lot of GIFs... Jesus that's a lot of GIFs

(Sorry, not able to make a proper meme image right now :sweat_smile: )
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Never seen that gif of JK Simmons in the Spider-Man suit before. Brilliant  :D
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm happy I don't have eighteen 2* Storms on the vine, which I would right now since the game won't give me the last damn green I need.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm struggling to see the point of 2* farming with dupes. Unless you're pretty new to the game, when are you using 2*s outside of DDQ? Even in the required nodes in PvE they're essentially irrelevant as long as you have one with at least 1 cover. It's not like building the second one while the first sits at 144 actually saves iso, it just changes the spend point. Seems like 13 (or 14) unnecessary roster spots to me.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It can be useful to have your preferred 2* at level 144 for the Combined Arms versus tournament.  But they haven't run any of the special off-season tournaments for a while, so who knows when that one will come up again?

For me personally, I have been selling my max-champ as soon as I can champ the dupe.  I don't see a need to delay receiving new champ rewards.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Best feature in ages. Just 2 words: Love it.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Richyyy said:
    I'm struggling to see the point of 2* farming with dupes. Unless you're pretty new to the game, when are you using 2*s outside of DDQ? Even in the required nodes in PvE they're essentially irrelevant as long as you have one with at least 1 cover. It's not like building the second one while the first sits at 144 actually saves iso, it just changes the spend point. Seems like 13 (or 14) unnecessary roster spots to me.
    It helps my goal setting for lack of a better way to put it.  

Mostly, it's mental, but I just like the extra room to use my ISO where and when I want to rather than take excursions from my 4 star progression to sing a chunk of ISO into my farm.  7K at a time seems a lot less cumbersome than the occasional 40K ISO that I seem to need from time to time, and yes, I know it only seems like a deviation because I got the ISO earlier when I sold the max champ.

Ultimately though, you're right, it's a totally unnecessary waste of roster slots, but having the ability to use those slots for exactly that reason makes the long game seem less sloggy for me.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Richyyy said:
    1.  For me the point of the game is collecting. So I want every character as high as they can go.** And yes, that includes all the 1s. Now it’s going to take an extremely long time before I’m post-iso enough to start investing in 1* characters I’ll never use, but having a maxed version of every character whether I use them or not would be awesome. 

2. I never see more roster spots as a bad investment. They are the best investment in the game because you can always use them and never lose them. When we had the last slot sale, I emptied my HP stash and bought way more than I could use. Had like 20 extra slots that are all used up now. 

** The exception for me is my 5* characters. I was willing to sell covers to not have to enter that tier of play. Being locked into using ~3 characters every match and having to play aggressively (I do anyway, but don’t like the idea of HAVING to) in order to keep up with the meta is not something that appeals to me. Now I can save those covers all the way up to max-champed status and still stay in the 4* tier!

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Richyyy said:

Aside from the reasons already mentioned: One of the best ways to speed clear PvE is to use Thanos. Having the essential two-star at level 144 means it can take more Court Deaths without needing Health packs. Having a dupe of it means you can use the dupe too Before you need to use Health packs.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Having been away for a while, this was one of my favorite things to see when i came back.  Loads to catch up on!
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Saved covers may be the best antidote to burnout ever.  I have Nightcrawler, XFW, and now Howard at 13 covers + queued which would ordinarily have me playing every mode imaginable to squeeze ISO from a stone.  Instead, I would up not even playing Venom Bomb and the Howard event to progression and I don't feel bad about it.  In fact, I might even re-champ some 13-cover 2-stars first (since their covers show up pretty much any time you do anything).  No more hamster wheel has definitely kept me in the game.