3 color planeswalkers

Options
MTG_Mage
MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
Paper MTG has released mostly mono or dual colored PWs. There are 3 tri-colored PWs, Bolas(UBR), Sarkhan(GUR), Tamiyo(GWU)...and now with the release of Commander 2018 there are 3 more tri-colored PWs of the possible 10 combinations: Aminatou(WUB), Lord Windgrace(BRG), Estrid(GWU).
Will we be seeing any of the non-Bolas tri walkers in MTGPQ? @Brigby

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That would be so much fun :)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We are almost definitely not seeing the commander ones, since MTGPQ doesn't get any non standard-legal sets (same reason there was no Battlebond).  On a practical level they would be difficult to manage since they are designed for large-deck multiplayer games which we do not have.

The Tamiyo we technically should have gotten in Innistrad but Hibernium shied away from the design challenges a tri-color walker would pose (not entirely unreasonably, especailly since that color combo would be insanely powerful).  What set is that Sarkhan from?  If its not a supplementary set than its definitely possible since there have been walkers introduced with sets here that were not originally with that set (most notably Elspeth)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    We are almost definitely not seeing the commander ones, since MTGPQ doesn't get any non standard-legal sets (same reason there was no Battlebond).  On a practical level they would be difficult to manage since they are designed for large-deck multiplayer games which we do not have.

The Tamiyo we technically should have gotten in Innistrad but Hibernium shied away from the design challenges a tri-color walker would pose (not entirely unreasonably, especailly since that color combo would be insanely powerful).  What set is that Sarkhan from?  If its not a supplementary set than its definitely possible since there have been walkers introduced with sets here that were not originally with that set (most notably Elspeth)
    Sarkhan is from the Tarkir block I believe.

They could always bring Tamiyo back.  I mean, Elspeth Sun's Champion is from the Theros block, pretty sure she was dead before Origins even happened.
  • MTG_Mage
    Options
    The tri colored sarkhan was from 'dragons of Tarkir' which is a normal set, but was before origins.
    There has never been a 4 or 5 color PW, but there are three colorless ones (2 karn, which we have one of in mtgpq, and the other is Ugin)
  • FindingHeart8
    edited August 2018
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:
    The tri colored sarkhan was from 'dragons of Tarkir' which is a normal set, but was before origins.
    There has never been a 4 or 5 color PW, but there are three colorless ones (2 karn, which we have one of in mtgpq, and the other is Ugin)
    I don't mean to be that guy...but technically there is 1 5-color walker:

httpsmediawizardscom2017usten_sLUd0WxZCWpng

on top of that, there is already one card from the Unstable set in mtgpq ;)

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:

Based on the current formula, he would cost nearly 1.3 million runes to level. I would actually pass. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    MTG_Mage said:

Based on the current formula, he would cost nearly 1.3 million runes to level. I would actually pass. 
    I would take that.  Completely random abilities and 5 colors all the time?  Sign me up
  • FindingHeart8
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    MTG_Mage said:

I would take that.  Completely random abilities and 5 colors all the time?  Sign me up
    You would never get bored of this game ever.

I'd happily dump every rune I'd ever get into this walker :D
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    MTG_Mage said:

You would never get bored of this game ever.

I'd happily dump every rune I'd ever get into this walker :D
    Me too
  • MTG_Mage
    Options
    I honestly remembered the UN-set Urza after posting that there was never any 4 or 5 color PWs, but since he is in an un-set there isnt any real chance of it coming out....but there are two un-cards in mtgpq (the bonus cards given out at Christmas)
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:
    I honestly remembered the UN-set Urza after posting that there was never any 4 or 5 color PWs, but since he is in an un-set there isnt any real chance of it coming out....but there are two un-cards in mtgpq (the bonus cards given out at Christmas)
    Maybe our Christmas gift this year will be a free 5-color Urza Planeswalker? With 5 abilities? 
  • MTG_Mage
    Options
    I do like how there are 20 different options for each of un-urzas 3 abilities, so you just roll a D20 to determine which one goes off. I would really like an event with random abilities
    https://media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/Urza-bilities_DARupdate.pdf

About the 3 tri PWs from commander 2018, their abilities can be translated however MTGPQ wants like they do with all cards, so they could work, so long as they have legal rights to use a card from a non-standard release
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=+["Commander 2018"]&type=+["Planeswalker"]
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Given how Bolas has dominated the game ever since being introduced, I would have speculated that they would have never done it again.... but then we got another one, so my powers of prediction seem to be wrong.

As far as comparing him to Tamiyo, I would argue at the time Tamiyo would have been a real powerhouse, but now.... I'm not sure that she would be more powerful than Bolas is, though it would have to depend at least a little on what skills they gave her.

That said, three color walkers are a rarity, so I wouldn't expect to see many more that often. Bolas might get another card in the Ravnica block, but that assumes he actually shows up for the slaughter in the first place (if the Immortal Sun is transported to Ravnica, he will likely steer clear of the plane)

Other potential for three color walkers in the future, however, could be Ajani and Huatli. Also a new color scheme for Sarkhan. They put him in red-blue-green in Dragons of Tarkir, but his history would have made him for fitting for red-green-black based on his previous cards, or red-white-black based on the color alignment of his native tribe on Tarkir. Two other possiblities that wouldn't surprise me would be, if we ever see them again, are Sammut in red-green-white or Arlinn adding white to her alignment since a lot of her identity is revolved around protecting other werewolves on Innistrad.
  • MTG_Mage
    Options
    We know the next two sets will be in Ravnica, so it can be assumed that there will be no 3+ color cards at all in those as they will stick to the 10 two color guilds. So it may be a long wait for any other 3 color walker, until at least next April or more. Commander 2018 just came out and any 3 color walker will be a hot seller and spice up the game. Or they might want people to stick with the guild colors during the upcoming block so they intentionally wont release any 3 color walkers until after it. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:
    We know the next two sets will be in Ravnica, so it can be assumed that there will be no 3+ color cards at all in those as they will stick to the 10 two color guilds. So it may be a long wait for any other 3 color walker, until at least next April or more. Commander 2018 just came out and any 3 color walker will be a hot seller and spice up the game. Or they might want people to stick with the guild colors during the upcoming block so they intentionally wont release any 3 color walkers until after it. 
    Yeah I'd love to see a different 3-color walker that isn't another Bolas.  There's nothing holding them back from doing it either (if there's legal issues with making a 3-color walker from the newest planeswalker block than they can always do Tamiyo or Sarkhan, they definitely at least have access to Tamiyo at least because she was from the Shadows over Innistrad block)
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:
    Actually, the next three sets will be set on Ravnica with special focus on the guilds in the first two sets. It's likely that we'll just see mono or dual colored walkers, but three color isn't impossible, especially if it's a planeswalker not native to Ravnica. Based on some leaked art, a blue-white-green Teferi wouldn't be terrible surprising. (There's art of him in the Selesnya aligned part of the city)
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What it needs are different color combination. Bolas2 is more or less mixed up B1, less mana gain, more skill options, better late game control. 

I would be happy to see more 3-c pw instead of another round pf more or less useful 1c pw. 

I would buy a new 3-c for sure  but 1-c/2-c only if it brings a new unique skill/win condition, or is connected to the meta like N3 was. The other side of the medal: now she is legacy only.