Dealing with Medusa/Gamora/Rocket

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    The enemy team has a bunch of strike tiles, and you want to give them attack tiles, too?
    I guess some lessons just need to be learned the hard way.  :D

bbigler said:
    Dormammu said:
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    Please tell me that was a joke. I have difficulty gleaning humor from print.
    What?  That team isn't annoying, I mean, valid anymore?
    Annoying and surprisingly durable 
    They're not going to be very durable when the opponent is quintuple-dipping on Grocket's strikes by round 2, thanks to free Carnage attack tiles.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Not the first time this was brought up on the forum, and the most effective team has been named several times, but at some point in a previous discussion someone suggested Thing/4* Wasp/Medusa. Try to not make the first match with Thing, try hunt for yellow to invert his protect tiles.

It's a little more health pack intensive than Carol/Rulk/4* R&G (I suppose, have not really tried that team so far. Guess I should...), but I find it gets the job done for the 1700 to 2000 climb in Season Sim. This is just a reasonable alternative for those that may want to try something else.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    The enemy team has a bunch of strike tiles, and you want to give them attack tiles, too?
    I guess some lessons just need to be learned the hard way.  :D

bbigler said:
    Dormammu said:
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    They're not going to be very durable when the opponent is quintuple-dipping on Grocket's strikes by round 2, thanks to free Carnage attack tiles.
    Yeah but honestly you can clear the board the strike tiles in a few turns, but then your back to full health by making matches. Once medusa gets stunned by Mr. F  your good. So yeah the team may struggle but it can go up against it fine with the caveat of the right board.. I haven't had to deal with the gamora grocket medusa team in quite some time but they really never gave me a hard time. 
  • Dormammu
    Yeah but honestly you can clear the board the strike tiles in a few turns, but then your back to full health by making matches. Once medusa gets stunned by Mr. F  your good. So yeah the team may struggle but it can go up against it fine with the caveat of the right board.. I haven't had to deal with the gamora grocket medusa team in quite some time but they really never gave me a hard time. 
    If you can clear the strikes, and after a 'few turns' you've lost someone, maybe two. Also, Medusa and Mr. F are burst healers so even if you do win it's not like you're saving yourself any health packs.

Don't get me wrong, Carnage/Medusa/Mr.F are (in my opinion) one of the top 3 strongest 4-star teams. I leaned on them heavily for quite a while. But they are not a sensible counter to Grocket/Guardian/Medusa. I got slaughtered every time I attempted it and when I saw a cardusa team in sim I chose Grocket/Guardian to take them out every time with ease.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    bbigler said:
    Dormammu said:
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    The only time Mr F has been usable
    He's pretty decent with Prof X as well, I've found.
    Also pairs amazingly with Shuri. I put off champing Reed forever, but when I actually champed him he became a favorite 4* of mine. 
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I actually use C4rol, Grocket and ..... Hulk. As in 3* Hulk! Have him tank, his anger countdowns go out that (unlike XPool and Rulk) do AoE damage AND create a bunch of green that will do subsequent damage! And of course C4rol boosts the strikes from Grocket. Who'd a thought, a version of Hulk in this game that actually serves a purpose?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    rulk always needs a health pack after that match. sometimes he doesn't take THAT much damage, but a lucky cascade easily takes a 50%+ hp rulk out.
    no way im playing a third match without health packs, or you guys have another version of him
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rocket, Gamora, and Kraven makes short work of those teams.  Try to protect the enemy strike tiles, and match Medusa's countdown whenever you can.  Kraven's passive combined with the friendly strike tiles makes short work of the enemy team.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Medusa / Mr. F / Thing is a "slow but steady" team to take them down. As long as Thing doesn't make the first match, he'll drop his protect tiles on the first attack, which all but neuters Rocket's strikes. Then you can match the rest away, gaining AP as you go for Reed's blue stun and Thing's green nuke. And if they match any of your protect tiles away, you get double burst heals plus green AP for Thing.

It's junk on defense but nearly a guaranteed win against that ever present team on offense. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread is awesome.  That team plagues the game for every one who tries any amount of PvP... So to see all of these suggestions is very cool and insightful.

To be honest, I was using Medusa/Lockjaw/Carnage for a while.  I'd have to use health packs, but Lockjaw tanked and dealt damage back pretty often, especially after a Hair meddle.  Just got tired of using the team after a while.  Time to try a few of these suggestions!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Main Event Hulk/Medusa/Chavez might be a fun offense against this team, and MEHulk is coming up boosted soon. Make sure that you have your Main Event at 5/5/3 so that he crashes in and ideally gathers up AP for chavez while clearing out some of 4ocket's strikes. then every turn he'll do a random swap of 2 pairs of tiles which may or may not help you. Medusa should keep you going with AP/burst health as enemy specials get matched, and gamma powerbomb, particularly when boosted, is maybe my favorite move in the game for spectacular effect.
  • Dormammu
    PiMacleod said:
    This thread is awesome.  That team plagues the game for every one who tries any amount of PvP...
    I wish I still saw this team, my PvP life would be so much easier.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I got to 2000 points in Shield Sim yesterday just chasing every Medusa/Rocket/Gamora (or other Guardian) match I could see

Carol/Rocket/Red Hulk is my jam - most matches, Carol and Rocket don't even take damage, except for the occasional board without a single purple/red/green match available.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got to 2000 points in Shield Sim yesterday just chasing every Medusa/Rocket/Gamora (or other Guardian) match I could see

Carol/Rocket/Red Hulk is my jam - most matches, Carol and Rocket don't even take damage, except for the occasional board without a single purple/red/green match available.
    The nice thing about this team (and the one where XPool replaces Rulk) is that it adds lot of easy retal matches for the Rocket/Medusa/Gamora team (which I run to 1700 then switch to the Carol/Rocket/Rulk) because they are so weak on defense (target Carol first, Rocket second and Rulk 3rd and in all likelihood Rocket/Rulk will be stun locked by Gamora's Blue thanks to matching enemy strikes).

So it's a win-win all around for adding points / easy wins for everyone.

KGB
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    KGB said:

The nice thing about this team (and the one where XPool replaces Rulk) is that it adds lot of easy retal matches for the Rocket/Medusa/Gamora team (which I run to 1700 then switch to the Carol/Rocket/Rulk) because they are so weak on defense (target Carol first, Rocket second and Rulk 3rd and in all likelihood Rocket/Rulk will be stun locked by Gamora's Blue thanks to matching enemy strikes).

So it's a win-win all around for adding points / easy wins for everyone.

KGB
    agreed - I was quickly knocked back about 150 points
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Up until the very recent update to practically-unlimited saved covers, most of the four-star characters in this thread so far (XFDP, Thing, Mr.F, Rulk) were my least-covered characters.

My solution has generally been Daken, three-star Hulk, and four-star Cap'n Carol. I need a health pack after almost every round, but only one, and only for Hulk. And, once i stop finding Rocket teams, I stop needing Hulk, so I really only need (n-1) health packs overall.

As others have mentioned, a nice side-effect of rolling this team is that whoever I attack gets basically a "cupcake" to retaliate against since, after all, they're mostly three-star characters. And then I get some, too. Overall points go up throughout the breaker, making it that much easier to hit progression early and go back to forgetting sim exists.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why not this team:

OML + XFDP + Valkyrie

Just let them hit OML, who heals, and then hit them back with XFDP and free strikes from Valkyrie
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Why not this team:

OML + XFDP + Valkyrie

Just let them hit OML, who heals, and then hit them back with XFDP and free strikes from Valkyrie
    As long as the 4* tier player has a yellow OML, sure.  I'm sitting her with a 5 black, 2 red OML, so mine is pretty neutered.

Side note, that 3* hulk, Danvers, rocket combo is really good.  Does the trick every time.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    Try it.  I lived in 4* land with this team for months.  It's almost impossible to die with this team.  They ain't fast, but damn if they ain't resilient.
    Eichen said:
    Mudusa, Carnage, Mr F.
    And it pretty much full heals every time one of them is matched (Medusa + Mr.F both heal on special tile match).  The secret to the team is to NOT use the standard load-outs on most of the chars.
    Carnage should be 5-5-3. Medusa at 5-4-4 (Maximize her healing, be able to steal all special tiles), and Mr. F at 5-5-3 (max his stun, protects, and heal).

• Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    PiMacleod said:

As long as the 4* tier player has a yellow OML, sure.  I'm sitting her with a 5 black, 2 red OML, so mine is pretty neutered.

Side note, that 3* hulk, Danvers, rocket combo is really good.  Does the trick every time.
    Oh, yeah, Rocket works there, too. I slightly prefer Daken because:
    - If you can't match green or red with Hulk on your first turn, you can have Daken tank blue or purple, and he'll eventually heal up on his own.
    - If your Hulk's explosions end up destroying your own Strike tiles, Daken can still make more.
    - Philosophically, I like not having to use Rocket, Gamora, or Medusa to fight Rocket + Gamora + Medusa.

On that note, here are some other ideas, courtesy of my wife – with the caveat that all her four-stars are undercovered and underleveled, and so are her opponents', so she's fighting weaker grockmoradusa variants while also using weaker teams. Her four-star roster looks very different from mine, and I haven't tested these in a champs-vs-champs scenario.

The Thing + Mr. Fantastic + Kraven the Hunter
    Kraven's a solid hard-counter to tile spammers in general, but his passive is useless against everyone else, plus when he doesn't have second-mover advantage Rocket will still often get a couple of swings in before Kraven's had a chance to reduce the opponent's power. So, Thing is here to run interference for Kraven in the first turn or two, and Reed is here to burst-heal Thing. It'll take a few turns to actually win, and you'll still eventually need to heal Thing up, but the damage piles up a lot more slowly than with Hulk or Deadpool. Kraven's other two abilities help mitigate and eventually punish Medusa's passive AP gain from matching your tiles, too, as a slight perk.

Rogue + Hawkguy (3/5/5) + Medusa
    Hawkguy and Medusa both gain AP when you match away some of the strike tiles on the board, and Barton guarantees that at least some of it will be purple and blue. Your first Hawkguy arrow should stun the enemy Medusa to prevent healing. When you have enough purple, you can activate Hair Metal Meddle to throw Rocket's strike tiles back at him. If you happen to have some black, too, you can use No Good News first and maybe get some extra steals out of it. Rogue is just here to tank and spend any red/green you might find; The Thing or Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) might work here, too. If you don't have any of these or want super speedy matches without regard for safety or health pack consumption, Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 5/3/5 can fill Rogue's position as well.