Thanos Boss Event - Whimpy?

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    StevO-J said:
    I for one enjoy this one Boss event that causes very little to no frustration. Is Thanos 'wimpy'... or is boosted 4* R&G just amazing? I think the latter... but hey... to each his/her own...
    Should have played against him without 4* R&G. Because you could easily complete the entire boss event without spending a health pack (because you'd finish the boss before the side nodes got anywhere close to difficult), and you don't need R&G to do that.

Dogface said:
    If OP wants a challenge so bad, there's nothing stopping you to make it challenging. Try beating Thanos with 3 1*. I for one am glad that Thanos is better manageable than the side nodes.
    We did have people beating Thanos with 2* Bullseye's black power and two 1* characters last time the event ran, and even then that wasn't much of a challenge (I mean, you had to run 1* characters so you didn't accidentally kill Thanos before you could get enough AP and crits for Bullseye).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would probably have felt a bit "fairer" if the Infinity Stones effects were split in half - three for players benefit and three for Thanos.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    I can understand this premise.  All of the boss events are just auto pilot now.  You don’t need a lot of strategy anymore. Just brute force.  I know what some vets will say when I ask of this, but I wish we would get Boss Rush back in the form we had the first time it came out.  I would love to see what I could do against that now. 

Boss rush with no carry over of AP - I'm in.  The Gauntlet too, that's way over due a return and could in theory be set-up easily to have a good smooth scaling that provides some serious challenge at the end. 

This time I didn't try, but the last couple Thanos events he was beatable with 1* and 2*s at rd 8 with a bit of luck on how the stones fell. 

This weekend I enjoyed the break.

• ManoPA
    ManoPA Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    As long as Thanos event were this way, I will never complaint. Developers, please, give us more "come and get me" events!  :)
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:
    Why are we complaining of an easy Boss event? So much of this game is a tedious grind, and some of the Boss events are downright awful in the last two rounds, so I always welcome relaxing, easy-breezy Thanos!
    I understand what you are saying but part of the reason some say it’s grind is their is nothing challenging us anymore.  Their are people that want a challenge.  Yes I can use a 4* team and beat Thanos. The boss events are just like pve now. The same thing.  I know others hated it but that why I loved Wakanda PVE!!!   You had to think and get around those # tiles and what not.  Ultron is one of the boss events you have to think a bit with the bombs as well.  
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I enjoyed it. Other boss events I started losing in higher rounds. In this event I always won. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I am glad I didn't have to grind out super hard side nodes. Thats much more of a boring grind than a fun easy event that encourages you to bring out your B team.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor

For 5* roster the current PVE structure consists of 63+ fights a day that are not much of a challenge and are just going through the motions.  As long as you're in CL9 then the only challenge comes form the 5e event, if you're in 7 or 8 that doesn't count as much of a challenge either.  Sure you could make more nodes harder by playing with a variety of your roster, but the game doesn't incentivize that, especially when you've so many nodes to clear even if you ignore playing for placement.

The boss event structure removes the placement and brings down the node count to 36ish a day (I think) this makes it much more suited to the challenge aspect of the game.

I think there's a difference between grindy super hard just by increasing levels of dark avengers repeating ad nauseam, and puzzle challenges brought about by interesting mechanics that the bosses usually bring.  It's the latter I'd say folks are keen to see be more investigated to spice up their daily play.

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    NotBAMF said:
    Why are we complaining of an easy Boss event? So much of this game is a tedious grind, and some of the Boss events are downright awful in the last two rounds, so I always welcome relaxing, easy-breezy Thanos!
    I understand what you are saying but part of the reason some say it’s grind is their is nothing challenging us anymore.  Their are people that want a challenge.  Yes I can use a 4* team and beat Thanos. The boss events are just like pve now. The same thing.  I know others hated it but that why I loved Wakanda PVE!!!   You had to think and get around those # tiles and what not.  Ultron is one of the boss events you have to think a bit with the bombs as well.  

Speaking strictly on PVE and not Boss Events, I could almost agree if PVE was 70 individual nodes instead of 10 nodes you had to beat 7 times each. As PVE stands, it's already a tedious, time-consuming, repetitive mess. If you want me to beat 10 nodes 7 times each, then make them as mind-numbingly boring and easy as possible, you know? If there were 70 individual nodes instead (NOT that I am asking for that... I'm just saying that's an entirely different creature), then sure... let's make them fun and creative. But when you are forcing me to do something over and over and over, I really just want to do it absent-mindedly. Fighting Daken and 2 Sentrybots would be neat once. Doing it 7 times made me want to break my phone in half.

As for Boss Events, I don't mind how "hard" the other Boss Events are, so I don't care about that, but I do appreciate the ease of Thanos. It makes the event go a lot faster, and I am cool with that, personally.  It's just a change up in comparison to the Sinister Six or Apocalypse.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:
    But there is also a perspective gap here rockett. If you are in a competitive alliance, then all boss events are over some time on Friday.  An alliance that takes 24-36 hours against trivial difficulty definitely feels like a nothing. No challenge, no anything.  So I can see wanted something more from the boss fight.

But if you are in a weaker or more casual alliance (e.g., if only 10-12 people grind hard or even have the rosters to play through round 8), then you end up slogging through the much harder side nodes on Saturday and Sunday.  When you have to do that, asking for a harder boss fight is crazy. The boss fight is a nice break from endless level 400+ waves nodes.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Jessica Jones threw Thanos through (say that 5 times really fast) a window. Thanos, Ultron, Sinister Six... it doesn't matter. When you get defenestrated it doesn't matter if you have an Infinity Gauntlet, or not - that hurts.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    As already mentioned, Grocket boosted really made everything easy.  Anytime they're boosted it cakewalks things.  Notice how there have been zero complaints (or at least none I've seen) about side node scaling.  

Also, not everyone is in a competitive alliance.  Since boss nodes lock the second you lose, that hurts your ability to make max personal progression.  

Not every event has to be hard.  Look at SIM and DvMPQ, both of them are appreciably harder than any other event.  Once in a while is fine, but imagine all events like this?  Burnout is a factor with any game, and making things harder isn't going to help the overall health of the game.  A vast majority of players are casual or have a middling roster.  If you alienate them, that starts a cascade where both PVP and PVE are effected as the concentration of higher leveled players get higher and everything becomes even more pressurized/grindy.

Also, as plenty of people have said, it's nice to have time away from the game where you're not chasing the carrot on the end of the stick. 
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    smkspy said:
    I can understand this premise.  All of the boss events are just auto pilot now.  You don’t need a lot of strategy anymore. Just brute force.  I know what some vets will say when I ask of this, but I wish we would get Boss Rush back in the form we had the first time it came out.  I would love to see what I could do against that now. 
    Yeah, as a vet with a developed roster now, I would love to see how I would fare against boss rush now.

But of course, you get dozens of complain about how hard it is, which is exactly why Thanos is so easy.
    Good luck with that developed roster of yours when Boss rush uses roster based scaling.

Those of us who were 5* players when it ran didn't have much fun.
    Yes your right Bow.  None of us did but the 5* that we have now are a lot different then before.  

I guess I should have one edit to this.  The AP would be Reset after each wave, that is the only tweak I would like to see but keep the rest the same. 
    I don't think having Jessica or Okoye champed is going to help with boss Phoenix coming out and wiping me out the same turn... 
  • The rockett
    Bowgentle said:
    smkspy said:
    Yeah, as a vet with a developed roster now, I would love to see how I would fare against boss rush now.

But of course, you get dozens of complain about how hard it is, which is exactly why Thanos is so easy.
    Good luck with that developed roster of yours when Boss rush uses roster based scaling.

Those of us who were 5* players when it ran didn't have much fun.
    Yes your right Bow.  None of us did but the 5* that we have now are a lot different then before.  

I guess I should have one edit to this.  The AP would be Reset after each wave, that is the only tweak I would like to see but keep the rest the same. 
    I don't think having Jessica or Okoye champed is going to help with boss Phoenix coming out and wiping me out the same turn... 
    yes I agree with the Boss Rush PHX and why the 0 AP would be great for us to try it again.  At least I know I would but many many others don’t. Oh well. 
  • The rockett
    Vhailorx said:
    NotBAMF said:
    But there is also a perspective gap here rockett. If you are in a competitive alliance, then all boss events are over some time on Friday.  An alliance that takes 24-36 hours against trivial difficulty definitely feels like a nothing. No challenge, no anything.  So I can see wanted something more from the boss fight.

But if you are in a weaker or more casual alliance (e.g., if only 10-12 people grind hard or even have the rosters to play through round 8), then you end up slogging through the much harder side nodes on Saturday and Sunday.  When you have to do that, asking for a harder boss fight is crazy. The boss fight is a nice break from endless level 400+ waves nodes.
    I agree there is a major gap and that is very hard to manage.  Those of us that want something more challenging and some that can’t compete with it. It’s a hard balance for sure and not 100% what the answer is.  

Only thing i can think of is like the old SIM pve.  The easy or hard side but instead have this for the boss event.  I know others have said about SL for boss events too.  
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Yes I can use a 4* team and beat Thanos. The boss events are just like pve now. The same thing. 
    Why do you dismiss that idea? In pve the argument is that you need speed for placement, but whats stopping you in boss events? You have limited attempts so you can't throw away too many, and maybe you don't have all the essentials for the side nodes. But especially against Thanos, why waste the infinity stone mechanic with a Grocket match damage win?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    My Jessica Jones threw Thanos through (say that 5 times really fast) a window. Thanos, Ultron, Sinister Six... it doesn't matter. When you get defenestrated it doesn't matter if you have an Infinity Gauntlet, or not - that hurts.
    Just ask Gamora...  Too soon?
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    When 4* R&G are boosted for an event, that event is easy. Had they not been boosted I'd have seen Thanos fire a power more than twice.
    Indeed. The only time I saw him fire more than twice was at lvl 400 on literally the last node before the event ended. I placed all of my strike tiles, and then Thanos overwrote most of them with gems. I laughed my tinykitty off and fought him the old-fashioned way.