PvP Focus #1- For PvP events, are you focusing on Points or Wins?

Hilk
Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
Comment on why and any interesting strategy you are using.
I will follow up with 2 other polls on people’s target level ( pick the one matching you answer here)

PvP Focus #1- For PvP events, are you focusing on Points or Wins? 94 votes

Points (Classic)
78%
KolenceTwystasinnerjflColognoisseurrixmithkillercoolxKOBALTxPunter1wymtimeDartmaster01abmorazdr tinykittyloveMagicTiggidaLystrataSquareStevO-JalaethZootSaxChipster22 74 votes
Wins (New option)
21%
MoosePrimeseyerinroderic1GoBucsGoJaedenkaalSim MayorbrollScreen MonkeyReecohTPF AlexischarmbotsKahmonShintok17HilkPyram7Bzhaiskittledaddyspidyjedi84DanielleLManoPA 20 votes

Comments

• BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Points (Classic)
    The wins target just takes too long. I played to 900 before the change and that’s all I shoot for after the change. My roster can’t hit 1200 and my mental fortitude wouldn’t allow 75 so yeah.......

i wouldnt call my strategy interesting. I join around 2 days before the event ends and play in two bursts. 1st burst goes to 600, 2nd burst 24 hours later finishes it off. I shield and that’s that.
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Wins (New option)
    I do 1200 once in a while for a change of pace, but most events I do 75 wins. It doesn’t take as long as it seems like it would, but I had champed my first 5* right before the system was changed, so I imagine 75 wins with 4* or below would likely take much longer. My typical strategy is to start the day the event begins and hit the high point targets until mmr breaks then farm the easy wins. I went from 0-63 wins in the BW pvp in about an hour and a half probably (I keep forgeting to time myself). Near the end of the event I’ll finish up the wins and shield out. It works well for me, plus the extra iso from all the wins is a nice bonus.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Points (Classic)
    Points.  The amount of wins needed to get the top prizes is absurd...especially since it doesn't guarantee placement.  I usually hit 900 in about 18 wins which is enough for me.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wins (New option)
    Wins. 
    1. I make more (and spend less) ISO & HP. (There is a trade off in less covers tokens but I’m fine with it). 
    2.  I can play generally at my pace / when I want (still not perfectly but much better than shield hopping, battle chats)
    3.  I can hit who I want when I want without having to worry about battle chats or retaliations.
    4. It makes it easier for me to not care about placement. When I was in a battle chat I found myself making bad decisions like staying up to late or getting up in the middle of the night to try and hit T10 placement. Often times even after making those bad choices I’d miss it anyway. I’m fine accepting the 200-400 I get now. The CP is the most important anyway. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Points (Classic)
    Points, because I usually get to 1000 in around 30ish wins. At that point, I can't justify playing another 40+ matches just to get the 15 CPs, especially when doing so usually just loses me points overall due to endless defensive losses. Hurts my brain to win 40 matches and LOSE points. 
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Wins (New option)
    I’m in 4* land still, and have started going out for wins... but I find myself picking the opponents with high points and frequently end up getting to my target win points instead.  

75 wins seems like more time than I would want to spend, so I am really interested in how people are doing it ( must be a 5* thing). 
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Points (Classic)
    That depends. If I have the time, I go for the wins. If I don't, I go for the points. With that said, I mostly go for the points.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Points (Classic)
    I usually reach my points target first - I can get to 575 for the 10CP after 12/13 wins. The hybrid system gives me a bit of a safety net if I lose a few matches on the way. I'll usually play a few more matches near the end of the event for placement.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Points (Classic)
    Points ftw - I do shield-hopping etc and build points generally, but last time I late climbed I got to 1.2 in 20 wins in under an hour via Battlechat qs then shielded out for T10.

Never had to do 75 unless building big score for high placement.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    My vote would be other. 
    Depends on the event and what style I want to play. For some ally’s you still need points for ally placement for PVP events and season.  
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Points (Classic)
    Hilk said:
    I’m in 4* land still, and have started going out for wins... but I find myself picking the opponents with high points and frequently end up getting to my target win points instead.  

75 wins seems like more time than I would want to spend, so I am really interested in how people are doing it ( must be a 5* thing). 
    Yes, pretty much this.  I started playing more when wins became an option then surprised myself by getting to 900 points well before my target of 40 wins.  It's nice cause as soon as I get that 4 star cover I chill.  I don't want to say that it's fun to watch others hit me but it's less stressful to watch my points drop after I get my target reward.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Points (Classic)
    I play for points when I can because depending on the required character and the boost list, I can generally do it in 19-24 wins. There have been maybe 3 pvps where that didn't work out, and i hit 900 right at 40 wins, or was just having a dismal time hanging on to points and had to grind to 40 wins. There were one or two where I just threw in the towel because i started them too late and ran out of health. Generally I wait a day to start them because it seems like there are more points in the system. or at least more high-value targets early in the climb, and I'll push up to 600 in the first push. Then after my health regenerates I'll push to 900. If it's early in the PVP season, I'll try and arrange that to be in the last 8hrs of the event so I can pop a shield and hang on to my points until I get the Heroic 10-pack, but once i've passed that milestone, I generally just let my points fall where they end up (unless there is something i short-term need in the placement rewards). 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    The crazy part is you guys could have had all the 900 tier reward  from day 1.  Its your engagement  that drives shard points.  not fear of hits or snipers, bakers blah blah.

Yes over 1200, how points get made who makes is important blah blah blah,

but under 1200, its not about snipers, bakers, front runers blah blah.  The "Peleton" pack can generate the momentum to get everyone to 900 once they decide that they actually want the 900 reward.

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    Points (Classic)
    Points. I am SUPER happy they added Wins-based and argued for it hard back in the day, but points are just faster/easier to get. If I ever hit a major HP crunch, though, it's comforting to know Wins are an option.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Points (Classic)
    If you have the roster and a basic understanding of how the mode works, you can get to 900 without shielding; I generally do. It's all about playing fast and attacking teams you can beat quickly (like very quickly) above 800pts. I've talked to some folks in my alliance about it, and they can't get past the mental affront of having to re-climb 150 or so points from retals; once I got past that and realized most of my retals were worth more total points than I'd lost, I'm usually happy to see them. Generally I'll get knocked back 150-190 pts after a climb, but my top 3 retals when I get back will total up to enough points to get me right back where I left off if not a little higher than before.
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Wins (New option)
    Wins

Once I've played a bit and/or taken a break, my points go down from others beating me so I can't get far in progression rewards that way. So I focus on wins.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Points (Classic)
    40 total wins still seems a bit too high for my tastes honestly.  Something around 30 or so would have been more manageable.

I have noticed that gunning for 900 seems MUCH easier now for some reason.
    I think I've gotten every single 900 4-Star cover this season, and I've done the climb all in one sitting without any shields (except at the end to save my placement when I'm done) within the last few hours of my time slice (Slice 5 usually).
    I don't get savaged over and over again at around 800-ish points nearly as much anymore.  A few times I don't think I got hit at all even.  For reference, I'm in 5-Star land with my main team of loaner, GladiThor, & Jessica Jones or Daredevil.  Sometimes I go Thanos Daredevil if the loaner is super low level.

Physiologically, under a win-based system, it always feels like you can just grind away to get the cover. 
    Because of this, there isn't as much of a "high stakes" situation with losing points at the end of a time slice anymore.  This spreads people out more throughout the time slice when they decide to climb.  They can start their climb super early, hit 900 like halfway through the time slice, and then not really worry so much.
    With a decent enough population focusing on win-based, many players are more or less done when there's only a few hours left of a slice.  It seems like they don't really care so much to retaliate because they got theirs, and the difference between t25 & t50 is negligible it's almost not worth it.  So no one bothers to retaliate anymore.

Can't see what my win total was anymore cause Scrapper 142 is now over, but I don't think I've needed more than 25-30 wins each time so far to hit 900.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    Points (Classic)
    My personal goal is 2k score per event - which typically results in T5 finish in scl8 (2200+ if going scl9). I've been tracking my wins as well, and have yet to exceed 45 wins - average is closer to 35 wins.

Side note: can we PLEASE get the wins count in the post-event score summary?  A couple of times I've forgotten to capture my wins, and it's lost forever...
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Wins (New option)
    I actually do both, depending on how fast I get smacked down, but I'm saying wins because I always have that as "the plan" and if I can make it to 900 points before I get 40 wins, bonus!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Wins (New option)
    Phumade said:
    The crazy part is you guys could have had all the 900 tier reward  from day 1.  Its your engagement  that drives shard points.  not fear of hits or snipers, bakers blah blah.

Yes over 1200, how points get made who makes is important blah blah blah,

but under 1200, its not about snipers, bakers, front runers blah blah.  The "Peleton" pack can generate the momentum to get everyone to 900 once they decide that they actually want the 900 reward.

This is straight up tinykitty.  I’ve been highly engaged since day 1 and pre 5* land 900 was nearly impossible unless you join a battle chat (possibly not even then, I didn’t join one till I was in 5* land).  It takes a lot more than just engagement. It takes:
    1. Detailed knowledge of how the someone obtuse and not explained anywhere in game mechanics work. 
    2. The ability and willingness to spend a lot of HP. 
    3.  Higher rosters (or certain ‘scarecrow’ characters) certainly help dramatically. 

The major benifit of wins wins is that unlike points engagement is truly the largest driver and any roster can theoretically get to any number.