4* DDQ: Whose side are you on again? Blonde Widow vs War Machine!

Options
Steel_Colt
Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
Stepping away from the traditional formatting for these threads, as I couldn't think of anything witty for a title last time. 
Blonde Widow against War Machine, a match-up a few of us predicted. Rhodey is one of the few that can actively deal with invisibility tiles and invisibility is one a the few good solo traits of Natascha "Blondes have more fun" Romanov. 
I had Widow at level 78, but fully covered with some saved covers thanks to the Thanos round rewards. Had Iso to spare so I champed her.

Luckily I did, because even champed it took five minutes to down the artist formally known as The Iron Patriot. Black does some damage with a stun, but both yellow and purple are (nearly) damage-less. Lots of match damage, as I predicted in the Agent Venom thread. 

Good luck everyone!

Comments

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Downed WM with level 94 BW (!) Took a long time but managed to stay invisible and was lucky with black/yellow. Used her match damage boost as well.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First try with my 0/4/0 was a total failure. The board was positively juiced with red, blue and green, so it was a futile effort to deny it all. Green blew me away before I could ever get invisible. 
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This match has definitely been the toughest one for a long time! My level 278 BW (5/3/5) has barely made it on 1st attempt. Key to win is to go invisible early and to deny blue as hard as possible (since WM`s blue hits hard & destroys every invisible tile).

Token to the hoard.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BW being my second-worst-covered 4*(3/3/2, I just pumped her up to 168 for this), this was definitely going to be hard, so I went with lots of boosts from the start. 2 purple, 2 black, +100% damage. First try was going pretty well, until he cascaded away both my Invisibility tiles with Gatling Gun, right as he finally got enough blue for Heat Signature Detection, and then his red went off before I could get  Defilade going again.

Second try, he cascaded into less blue, and I was able to get more yellow to heal up from it, and he never had everything hit me at once, so I eventually wore him down. 

Token was my first Okoye black! :D
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    2/1/2 lvl 111 won on the first try. It took A LOOOOOONG time though. It was a really neutral board for the most part but I concentrated on gaining purple and blocking blue. I protected my invisibility and fired yellow whenever my health got lower. Started the match with only a little over 5k and ended with close to 1k.

Token was a Quake champ level.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This was a challenging one! First three tries - with 100% match damage and 2AP all colors- were devastating defeats for my 3/4/3 lvl. 188 Widow. War Machine always hit me with his blue power. After having no boosts left on my 4th try I got several cascades with lots of purple and black. When I finished him I had about 9000 health left. COTT is always fun but you also need a lot of luck. With the same strategy - deny blue und get invisble - sometimes you lose with 11,000 health left for WM and the next one you wine with more than 9,000 healt left. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    First time in ages I've had to do one of these with a non-champed character. It was like back in the old days when the only ones I could do were when the character could hide behind invisibility tiles. Did it first time with a lvl168 Widow (she's only that high from levelling her for Shield Training), but it wasn't quick. **** character I'm in no hurry to champ now that the save feature means I'm not wasting covers.
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Second try with my 5/4/4 Lv70 BW, no boosts. Hop onto the invisibility train and deny blue at all cost. Second priority is green since it can create some ugly cascades potentially wiping out your invisibility tiles. Chase black to keep WM stunned and destroy AP at the beginning of each turn which helps to prevent him from firing blue.

Almost champed her but so glad I didn't spend iso but champed Ghost instead - that match damage  at 5 blue covers is crazy!

Token to the hoard.
  • ScrubJay
    ScrubJay Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    First try with 2/2/4 Blonde Widow. Stocked up on purple and Yellow and denied blue as much as I can. Slowly but surely whittled him down. It helped that my yellow was leveled enough to cancel the health loss of blue whenever it fired off.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Won on First try with 1/3/1 Blonde Widow!
    He just couldn't touch my invisible tiles. I hid virtually the whole time. The only time he heat-seeked them I had enough yellow saved to heal back and enough pink saved to go invisible again immediately. 

Deny Blue
    Max boost with her "retired" character boosts
    Pick a support that does something, anything helpful
    Be grateful the AI is stupid. 

LLT opened for InvWoman yellow. She's now at a nasty 5/0/5 :-( 
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    0/5/2 Widow.  Lost the first attempt, but won on the second.  Deny blue, keep enough AP ready in yellow and pink to reapply invis and heal up after blue goes off.  Match damaged him down.  Main issue was falling asleep or losing concentration due to the monotony.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m glad everyone is posting their success stories with under-covered/leveled Widow, ‘cause I was so far from making even a dent in my first four tries that I was ready to throw in the towel with my 0/2/2 Lv106 Widow.  Four day and change left to try, so we shall see...
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got him on my third try after scoring a yellow from the 10 years vault, and purple #5 from Thanos progression. +60% damage of her old release boosts, +2 blue/purple to get invisible quickly.

Deny blue, deny blue, deny blue. Pray that green doesn't cascade. Stay invisible  Win. 

Lumbercap red with the token, and a bonus Jessica red! Woohoo! 

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m struggling here with my 1/2/0 build.  She’s barely got the health to handle that Blue once, and without a yellow cover I can’t heal either.  If only Thanos was handing out Yellow before 1st rather than that Purplr.  I can’t imagine a 3rd Purple or a 2nd Black is going to help, but the extra levels might.

I keep forgetting to give her a Support before I try again, since some extra anything will likely be the deal breaker here.

Also why did they change the order for these?  Wasn’t it alphabetical order?
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Third attempt was a success after two consecutive beat downs thanks to boards filled with blue leading to two heat signature detection blasts in each fight.

Used +2 blue/purple, 100% match damage and widow’s 100% match damage.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Started 4/3/4 level 78.

Winnable, but really tough and super slow. Requires major blue denial and making use of all her abilities.
    Purple to invis and prevent damage.
    Black to slow him down.
    Yellow to heal back up after barely surviving his blue attack.
    After several tries where something would go wrong, I decided to level her up.

Finished 4/3/4 level 229.

Still pretty slow, but much more room for error. Finally wore him down for the win.

Token to the 8/27 Hoard.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I had a 4 cover Widow and pushed hard to get 1 from last nights PVP and 2 more from the Alliance event and then I bought out the store (an excellent deal BTW far better than her HFH deal) for an 8th cover and decided to give it a whirl before I get the last cover from the Alliance event later this evening.

To my surprise my 3/2/3 L168 Widow got it on the first try. It took about 20 minutes though because I was just match damaging him to death while remaining invisible and and healing whenever War Machine fired blue (in other words very boring).  Putting out 2 invisible tiles really helps against bad luck placements so that'y key. So is being lucky when his exploding CD's don't detonate your invisible tiles.

Another token to the hoard.

KGB
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Blonde Widow is 4/4/5 and level 150. I had no issues. Purple was my priority so I could go invisible, and then I kept purple as the priority because as soon as I lost invisibility I could cast it again. I got caught a couple times waiting to get AP, but yellow healing kept Widow sustained so that was my second priority. After that I simply denied blue as much as I could and chipped away with the occasional black cast.

Widow is actually very viable 1-on-1 with invisibility, healing, and a stun. She's not fast, but she can be very pesky.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ said:

10th anniversary of the MCU. They doing a bunch of things for it that are messing with the normal order of things.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ said:

10th anniversary of the MCU. They doing a bunch of things for it that are messing with the normal order of things.
    Ugh, so we can expect a few cycles of Crash being thrown off the normal order?

Well took it down now at level 111 1/3/0 build using +2 AP Blue/Purple, 100% All Color, & 100% Black Widow.  I’m kicking myself for forgetting that last exclusive boost even existed.  Certainly worth using since most of those boosts just sit around being saved for an emergency that never comes.

Blue Denial is key, though on my winning run I boned myself by letting WM match my two invisibility tiles that were just sitting there while being short 3 AP to recast.  I figured he would prioritize his own colors over purple; I figured wrong.