Missed Character Opportunities

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
As the runaway train of new characters continues, I was thinking there were many characters from lower tiers that could have become more.  Here's my list, but feel free to add your own.

Juggernaut! - a higher tier version that hits hard, with low AP costs, High Health but inflicts self-damage

Ares - another beater that could have become more, with 3 hard hitting reckless powers that strike fear in opponents.

Moonstone - her high health still doesn't make sense to me, but she is both offense and defense.  A higher tier version could specialize in stealing and buffing tiles, plus specific board manipulation.

Scarlet Witch - given that she's one of the most powerful Avengers, she deserves a 5* version. 

Vision - for someone that has an infinity stone, can fly and can change his density at will, you would think he deserves more than 3* status

The Hood - one of my favorite 3*s who suffers from a low health pool; with Dormammu on his side, he deserves more.  He could be similiar to 5*Strange who has a great passive but still low health.

Quicksilver - his powers should match his abilites, fast damage and AP generation.  How about a passive board shuffle every turn that deals both damage and generates AP.  That alone would make him awesome, unpredictable and fun to play.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    The game isn't over yet.  There's plenty of time for more dups!
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Hell no I dont want to see another ares or moonstone
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    In one of the interviews that was posted on Discord and Line, Jugs did come up as somebody they wanted to make another version of.  With Jugs being in DP2, plus a huge hole in MCU right now, there could be a spot for him at some points.  To see him as a 5* could be great but I worry he will be very OP or the next Wasp.  Would need to find a good balance so he would be useful. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd prefer him as a 3* or 4*. Mostly so that he'd have his own PvP event, which would ideally be named "Gettin' Juggy Wit' It" ;)
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Always thought Mystique was a big missed opportunity. A character that can morph into anyone else, including her enemies? Actually being able to steal and utilise the powers of other characters could be so much more fun and interesting than the variant that we actually have.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Richyyy said:
    Always thought Mystique was a big missed opportunity. A character that can morph into anyone else, including her enemies? Actually being able to steal and utilise the powers of other characters could be so much more fun and interesting than the variant that we actually have.
    Mystique can't actually do that though. She can imitate but she doesn't get any special abilities by doing so. So the 3* version is true to her powers.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Villains.  More Villains.  PLEASE more Villains.

Supports are practically worthless, but even more so when half of them can only be equipped to villains and there are next to no villains of worth in the game.  The entire "children of Thanos" should have been characters rather than supports.  Same with Wong, Sharon Carter, Hulkling, etc...

Where are Nebula, Enchantress, Hela, Frost Giants, Yellow Jacket, Super Skrull, Ronan the Accuser, Whiplash, Iron Monger, The Mandarin, Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Grant Ward, Maximus, Toad, The Blob, Sentinels, Master Mold, Black Cat, Morpheus, Batroc the Leaper, Rhino, Scorpion, Shocker, Tombstone, Silver Mane, Sabertooth, The Leader, The Abomination, The Collector, Paste-Pot Pete, The Tinkerer, Whirlwind, Fin Fang Foon, Sauron, Pyro, Avalanche, Arcade, Black Tom Cassidy, Anhillus, Lady Deathstrike, Taskmaster, Crossbones, Onslaught, MODOK, Kang the Conquerer, The Beyonder, Vlad Dracula, Mysterio, Omega Red, Mister Sinister, Korvac, Justin Hammer, Madam Hydra, The Chameleon, The Lizard, Mole King, Puppetmaster, Terrax, General Thaddeus Ross (pre-RedHulk), Mr. Fixit, Hammerhead, The Spot, Hippo and Panda, Killmonger, and Arnim Zola?

This game has a dreaded dearth of usable Villains.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    In one of the interviews that was posted on Discord and Line, Jugs did come up as somebody they wanted to make another version of.  With Jugs being in DP2, plus a huge hole in MCU right now, there could be a spot for him at some points.  To see him as a 5* could be great but I worry he will be very OP or the next Wasp.  Would need to find a good balance so he would be useful. 
    He is. He was actually originally planned to have a 4* Chosen version as well way back pre-launch. Never got off the paper napkin design phase, but Juggernaut still hits the internal lists for characters we want more of.
    And what better way to introduce a new 4* jugs??? His Heroic event  :#B)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:

Supports are practically worthless, but even more so when half of them can only be equipped to villains and there are next to no villains of worth in the game.  The entire "children of Thanos" should have been characters rather than supports.  Same with Wong, Sharon Carter, Hulkling, etc...

Where are Nebula, Enchantress, Hela, Frost Giants, Yellow Jacket, Super Skrull, Ronan the Accuser, Whiplash, Iron Monger, The Mandarin, Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Grant Ward, Maximus, Toad, The Blob, Sentinels, Master Mold, Black Cat, Morpheus, Batroc the Leaper, Rhino, Scorpion, Shocker, Tombstone, Silver Mane, Sabertooth, The Leader, The Abomination, The Collector, Paste-Pot Pete, The Tinkerer, Whirlwind, Fin Fang Foon, Sauron, Pyro, Avalanche, Arcade, Black Tom Cassidy, Anhillus, Lady Deathstrike, Taskmaster, Crossbones, Onslaught, MODOK, Kang the Conquerer, The Beyonder, Vlad Dracula, Mysterio, Omega Red, Mister Sinister, Korvac, Justin Hammer, Madam Hydra, The Chameleon, The Lizard, Mole King, Puppetmaster, Terrax, General Thaddeus Ross (pre-RedHulk), Mr. Fixit, Hammerhead, The Spot, Hippo and Panda, Killmonger, and Arnim Zola?

The problem is that you've just named over 2 and a half years worth of characters.

Given that characters drive the game, and the limited rate that characters can be released, it means we get Thor and Hulk for Ragnarok, and get to double-dip and pick up Valkyrie when the DVD comes out. If they'd given us Hela and Executioner and Heimdall and Loki and Korg (not even looking at Odin or the Warriors Three or Sif or Grandmaster), suddenly it would have been time for Black Panther's movie tie-ins (and going through characters for that movie, we'd have still been doing BP characters when IW came out).

The reality is that they have to pick and choose, and more popular characters are better for the game (both the attention of cross-promotion with movies and shows, and being popular enough that people spend to chase them).

When push comes to shove, they could go back and give us Whiplash and Iron Monger and The Mandarin, but more people would be happy (both players and devs) if they gave us an Infinity War Iron Man instead. Or Stormbreaker Thor, or Rocket & Teen Groot, or "Banner in Hulkbuster". And personally, I'll take another Spider-Man variant over *any* member of the Black Order, any time. (it's a bummer they got regulated to Support status, but I'm also glad we didn't waste two months releasing them when Infinity War came out, too)

I agree that there's a painful amount of villains the game doesn't have yet, but there's not a quick fix. It's getting better over time, but all of that is really a "character" issue, and for villains it's compounded by missing heroes, as well. It probably wouldn't take long to create an equally long list of heroes missing from the game, and when given the choice of adding one or the other, heroes are more likely to benefit the game than villains.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler

I would love a 3* FitzSimmons (Jemma Simmons and Leopold Fitz).  It could look something like this:

Yellow (passive): burst of health after a friend fires active power because Simmons knows her friends may get hurt while doing spy work.  She heals them so they can get back to work. 

Black (passive): Fitz loves making spy gadgets like stealth drones.  At the beginning of every turn, if there is none, create a three turn countdown tile that drains the enemy AP of their strongest color as long as the countdown tile is on the board (start off at one and then add at 5?).   If a friend is downed, this tile switches and becomes stealer of enemy AP in their strongest color.

Red: With their combined knowledge of engineering and biochemistry, FitzSimmons create damaging bombs that are thrown and catch the enemy by surprise.  The bomb damage does team damage (starts off at 250 and ends at 1000?). 

I’m not sure what their numbers would be—I simply guessed at them. 

I’m also not sure if I got the colors correct for the power I was describing.

Their champ rewards can feed Agent Coulson covers. 

• shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    abmoraz said:

all those villain names, and no taserface?
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    abmoraz said:

I suspect that the most likely of these to be released are Nebula and Ronan. However, given her character development in the MCU, Nebula will probably be a hero on release and we will have to wait for the Captain Marvel film for Ronan.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    The lack of a 5* God Doom seems fairly egregious.

Honestly though, I'd always rather see new characters than variants. I was really hoping we'd get Nebula when GOTG2 came out.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I was kinda disappointed in Valkyrie. Not that she isn't a good character, but they could have done a lot more to tie in to the movie. In the movie she had the arm control ship guns, the taser neck thing, and her classic outfit, none of which made it to the game.
    I think there are a lot of missed opportunities just based on the release date. Switch, Vision, Kamala Khan are only 3*s because they were released at that time. Black Panther wasn't a 3/5* dual release because he already had a 3*. 4* Panther wasn't a 5* and Okoye was because civil war Panther was already there.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    I was kinda disappointed in Valkyrie. Not that she isn't a good character, but they could have done a lot more to tie in to the movie. In the movie she had the arm control ship guns, the taser neck thing, and her classic outfit, none of which made it to the game.

Supports    :o

KGB
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    I'm a big proponent of eliminating the one star tier, turning a few ones into 2 stars (IM, Juggernaut, Venom, and SM) boosting them to appropriate levels. 

One star tier is a complete waste with how old the game is and getting rid of it would give incentive to new players to push that 2-3 transition and quickly invest them in the game. I, personally, look at that tier as more of a detriment to game now than a reason to keep playing.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roland113 said:
    I thought there was a missed opportunity when 4* Grocket came out.  I really wanted a dual release 4* Rocket along with a 2* Baby Groot.  I thought that would have been a perfect time to introduce a new 2 star.
    I doubt you'll ever see any characters released as part of a "pair" character split up for variants.

Unless they also changed the team selection mechanics, your suggestion would allow someone to construct a team of 2* Baby Groot, 3* Rocket & Groot, and 4* Rocket.  That's probably considered undesirable.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    IceIX said:
    He is. He was actually originally planned to have a 4* Chosen version as well way back pre-launch. Never got off the paper napkin design phase, but Juggernaut still hits the internal lists for characters we want more of.

Just, saying, I would love a high level Juggernaut whose Powers reference his theme in Deadpool 2, but I guess the lyrics may be a bit too explicit to reference in-game...