5-star Release Vaults & Hoarding

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Whenever a new 5-star is released the developers will make one of those often-tempting legendary token vaults, featuring the new release and two others. This time around we get Thor and Black Bolt to go with the new Loki. An attractive trio, for sure. But these things always seem to catch me mid-hoard.

Of course, we can't use any hoarded LTs in these - just CP, which reduces the number of pulls a hoard will afford, making it more unlikely I'll have enough pulls to make an impact. While my impulsive side would love to get more BB and Thor covers, plus at least one Loki for roster completion and 5E nodes, but my sensible side tells me to preserve the hoard and wait for Wasp to leave the latest three and see what the landscape looks like then - offering a much better chance to fully cover Loki and possibly two other good 5-stars.

Just curious, what do y'all do when it comes to your hoards and 5-star releases?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am planning on spending at least some CP on the vault. I could absolutely use more levels for Thor, and Black Bolt is certainly useable too. And getting some Loki covers for essential nodes ain't bad either. Only have enough CP for around half a dozen fivestar covers, but that's good enough. I am saving my Latest tokens until Cap rotates out but I will probably need to open a bit to get a thirteenth useable cover for Okoye, so I might cover Loki and Wasp a bit more then.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel your pain - almost always a good one is mid-hoard. But this one is fine for me - I have Thor champed (and you don't want too many covers - it's better is somebody tanks for him), and Bolt is maxed finally (just in time for Gambit nerf). So I will splash to get one Loki (or maybe I will decided to spend 250-500 CP - depends how quickly the Loki cover will show up... if it will). 

Hoarding till Wasp leaves is my goal as well so I plan to keep most of the CP in place. But I don't have a lot - opened up my hoard for Okoye-JJ-Cap so I am down to ~900 CP.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saved about 500 CP in case this was a good store. It is fairly good for me, I think... my Thor is 5/2/2 and Black Bolt is 5/5/2 (Medusa is at 324 so no feeder level to finish him soon). The only thing that might make it worth waiting and doing normal LTs instead is that my Okoye is at 0/4/6. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    I love these things, just as an alternative option. As I mentioned HERE, I think they should be running them constantly, regardless of whether there's a new 5* on the menu or not.

But it definitely can be conflicting. You save all that CP expecting to use it on Latests, and then there's that tempting opportunity to finish off that old 5*, which might be suffering a little from power creep but could still be useful (and alternative routes to finish off these characters are desperately thin on the ground). I have Thor champed, but Bolt at 4/2/1, so I'm very tempted by this one. Thor covers wouldn't be a waste, because they'd just strengthen the best character around with champ levels, and finishing Bolt would be great. But 4/2/1 isn't exactly right on the finishing line waiting to be nudged over. And my 3/4/1 Okoye is in pretty similar need.

So yeah. I'll probably spend some CP, and if I get a couple of Bolt covers in the right colors early, keep going. If not, I might stop. I should probably commit in one direction or the other, but I won't.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Even though I play in 5* land now, I still tend to pull hoards based on chasing 4*s if there's a 4 I like.  The smarter part of my brain doesn't have the command authority to initiate the hoard necessary to chase 5's. That said, I'll probably use about 30 pulls trying to grabs some Thor and BBolt.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I should based upon the last three 5* release vaults absolutely spend 0CP on this as I didn't receive a single cover for the new 5* in any of those vaults which is the main reason for spending to cover the 5E. But Thor AND Black Bolt are both just incredibly fun to play and whilst I'm not in the 5* level I do want more covers for both.

So they got me and my CP. :neutral:
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    These are probably the most interesting decisions left for me.  Unfortunately rng still plays a major role...I tend to buy these until I get the 1 cover I came for, and hope I get some other useful things along the way.  With my bolt at 2-4-1, I'm not going all in to complete him, but if I get 3-4 covers before getting Loki, I will reassess.
  • bundles87
    bundles87 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    I'm committed to pulling 200 times from this vault. 2-4-1 bolt and 1-2-1 Thor (should easily pick up one cover from Valk though). It'd be nice if we could use LLs in these vaults, then I'd be pulling 400 times and be feeling great.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I'd love to get some more Thor and BB champ levels, but I have to pass. I've had terrible luck pulling Okoye (currently 3/2/1) so I need to wait until Loki rotates in and then splurge (I'll have a little over 100 pulls by then) to try to get Okoye champed.

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    I've been holding onto 500 CP to splurge a little in this store, since any of the 5*s will benefit me. I hope it's Loki, just because I currently have at least 1 cover of every 5*, but BB or Thor is almost as good for me.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think anyone with an undercovered Thor should pull from the vault as he should be priority 1. 

Everyone else (including me) with an undercovered Okoye should pull from Latests and just hope to avoid Hope (I’m usually not that lucky). 

I’d love to get Okoye covered fast and then hibernate, but with no cover swaps and a 1/5/4 build, it may take most my hoard (and plenty of Wasps who also have a rough build of 4/1/0) to get her. 
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I'm not a big hoarder, but I save 400 CP as a minimum for the 5* release vaults. As a 4* player It's a Win Win. Getting the new 5* will help complement my champed 4*'s in PVP & PVE, since the new 5* boosted will have more match damage. It also gives me a shot at getting covers for 2 other 5*'s, preferably Classics. If the 5* hunt fails at least I will have a lot of 4* covers to finish covering or getting Champ rewards for.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I have Okoye champed, but my Thor is sitting at a pathetic lone cover :disappointed:
    Unfortunately my hoard is in its infancy and I only have about 40 pulls of CP, so I'm not going to get Thor near usable even if I do pull. My BB is 4/0/2 so I don't like my chances there, either.

I'll probably still try for a Loki cover, but as soon as I get one I'm done and back to hoarding for a prime latest three.
  • Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    I always pull until I get the new toon, then I stop. I like my odds better when I can combine LT and CP
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    I also just emptied my „hoard“, only 38 pulls (got 4 5*s, one Loki). Thinking whether to put my last 250CP into it to get more Thor - whats the next HfH classic 5* that I might keep those 250CP for?
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    21 pulls from the vault = 1 Thor green for me.

Unless it's really Loki in disguise.......
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep in mind we have several weeks of celebration, i'm not 100% sure that there won't be some other special store coming down the pipe in a week or two with some other MCU tie in 5*s in it. Maybe in honor of the Innefectual Banner we got in Infinity War, 5* Banner will finally get that rebalance and a cool new store with 5trange and Widow or somebody lol.
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    From 21 pulls I managed 2 purple Lokis, 1 yellow Thor and one Green BB. Since I have Okoye and Cap champed, I'll probably try and hoard until Okoye leaves and then pull again. 
  • brontag1
    brontag1 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2018
    145 pulls:

Loki - Purple (5)
    Loki - Green (1)
    Loki - Black (2)

BB - Yellow (3)
    BB - Black (6)
    BB - Green (1)

Thor - Green (2)
    Thor - Yellow (2)

Very happy with results.. already had Thor champed, had BB at 2 green/1 black.. so can champ him now and gives a good start to Loki  (150 Legendary tokens waiting to finish him off later)

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, 2 of my BB covers came from setting him as my BH
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    19 pulls got me 2 Thors and 1 Black Bolt. No Loki yet, but I should get more pulls before the store expires.