MtGPQ Sneak Peek: August 2018 Edition *Updated (8/27/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited August 2018 in MtGPQ Events
Magic: Puzzle Quest Sneak Peek: Upcoming In August, 2018
(*Important note: Anything listed below is subject to change before release. We will try to update any changes in a timely manner, but please keep in mind the info below is not guaranteed.)

PLANESWALKERS
Current list of Planeswalkers available in the Vault can be found HERE

EVENT SCHEDULE OVERVIEW

(Legacy events are darker color. Standard events are lighter color)

UPCOMING SINGLE-PLAYER EVENTS
Event Details:

Upcoming Events:
Oath of the Gatewatch: Part 1
  • Deck Restrictions: None
  • Opt-In Time: 8/27/18 17:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 8/28/18 17:00 UTC
  • End Time: 8/30/18 15:00 UTC
Oath of the Gatewatch: Part 2
  • Opt-In Time: 8/29/18 17:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 8/30/18 17:00 UTC
  • End Time: 9/1/18 15:00 UTC
Past Events:
The Long Cold Darkness 
  • Deck Restrictions: Origins, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, Core Set 2019
  • Opt-In Time: 8/6/18 11:00am UTC
  • Start Time: 8/6/18 5:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/8/18 3:00pm UTC
The Phyrexian Compleation 
  • Deck Restrictions: Origins, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, Core Set 2019
  • Opt-In Time: 8/9/18 11:00am UTC
  • Start Time: 8/9/18 5:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/11/18 3:00pm UTC
A Nightmare of War 
  • Opt-In Time: 8/13/18 11:00am UTC
  • Start Time: 8/13/18 5:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/15/18 3:00pm UTC
The Space-Time Catastrophe 
  • Opt-In Time: 8/16/18 11:00am UTC
  • Start Time: 8/16/18 5:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/18/18 3:00pm UTC
Return of the God-Pharaoh 
  • Coalition Event
  • Boss Health: 3,500,000
  • Opt-In Time: 8/17/18 10:00am UTC
  • Start Time: 8/17/18 4:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/22/18 4:00pm UTC or when boss is defeated
Revolt Against the Consulate
  • Opt-In Time: 8/21/18 08:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 8/21/18 14:00 UTC
  • End Time: 8/25/18 14:00 UTC
UPCOMING MULTIPLAYER EVENTS
Event Rewards:
Across Ixalan
*In Progress*

Training Grounds - Legacy
Progression Rewards

Training Grounds - Standard
*In Progress*

Trial of the Planes
Progression Rewards
Upcoming Events:
Training Grounds - Every Day, Alternates Between Standard and Legacy
  • Start Time: 23:00 UTC
  • End Time: 22:59pm UTC
Trial of the Planes - Weekdays
  • Cost: 60 Mana Crystals
  • Color Order: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green
  • Opt-In Time: 01:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 07:00 UTC
  • End Time: 05:00 UTC
The Dragon War
  • Opt-In Time: 8/24/18 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 8/24/18 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 8/27/18 06:00 UTC
Across Ixalan - (8/27 - 9/1)
  • Cost: 20 Mana Crystals
  • Color Order: White, Green, Red, Blue, Black, All Colors
  • Opt-In Time: 22:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 04:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02:00 UTC
Hour of Revelation
  • Coalition Event
  • Opt-In Time: 8/28/18 11:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 8/28/18 17:00 UTC
  • End Time: 8/30/18 15:00 UTC
Hour of Devastation - Nicol Bolas
  • Coalition Event
  • Opt-In Time: 8/31/18 14:00 UTC *New Update*
  • Start Time: 8/31/18 20:00 UTC
  • End Time: 9/3/18 18:00 UTC *New Update*
Past Events:
Across Ixalan - (8/6 - 8/11) 
  • Color Order: Green, Blue, Red, White, Black, All Colors
  • Opt-In Time: 10:00pm UTC
  • Start Time: 4:00am UTC
  • End Time: 2:00am UTC
Race to Orazca 
  • Coalition Event
  • Opt-In Time:  8/10/18 2:00pm UTC
  • Start Time: 8/10/18 8:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/12/18 6:00pm UTC
Across Ixalan - (8/13 - 8/18) 
  • Color Order: All Colors, Green, White, Black, Blue, Red
  • Opt-In Time: 10:00pm UTC
  • Start Time: 4:00am UTC
  • End Time: 2:00am UTC
Nodes of Power
  • Opt-In Time: 8/20/18 10:00am UTC
  • Start Time: 8/20/18 4:00pm UTC
  • End Time: 8/22/18 2:00pm UTC
Across Ixalan - (8/20 - 8/25)
  • Color Order: Blue, Green, Red, White, Black, All Colors
  • Opt-In Time: 22:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 04:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02:00 UTC

CHANGELOG
(8/06/18) *Updated image overviews, Single Player events, and Multiplayer events.
(8/14/18) *Updated image overviews and Multiplayer events.
(8/15/18) *Updated image overviews and Single Player events
(8/21/18) *Updated image overviews, Single Player events, and Multiplayer events.
(8/24/18) *Changed time format from Standard / Regular to Military time
(8/24/18) *Updated Start time for Hour of Devastation
(8/27/18) *Updated Opt-In and End times for Hour of Devastation

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Here is the previous July Sneak Peek thread
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you @Brigby
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Rotgp and rto ? .... What ... An ... Exciting ... Program ... Not to mention I was craving for more obsolete boosters.
    Thanks anyway for sharing it @Brigby.
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Legacy can be played only half of the days...are you serious?
    Even rotgp that is as old as the game (not really but it feels as if) and should be legacyis played as standard when not even the opponent uses standard cards

• boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby

Can you check with Octagon to see if they are at least planning to change the rewards for RotGP to be M19 boosters instead of legacy cards?  It's going to be hard to convince players that their time is worth the effort if the rewards are mostly useless.

Running RotgP is a bit played out, but it does feel like a new-ish event now that the objectives have changed as well as our available card pool.  I don't mind refurbishing the event to keep it in the coalition rotation, but I think the overwhelming consensus is that coalition events need to provide rewards in alignment with the current standard set(s). 

Another option might be to sub-out packs and replace with substantially more jewels, gems and orbs so that the players can then purchase an equivalent number of standard packs/cards.  Personally, I don't need more Ixalan or Dominaria block cards, so I'd prefer to receive my "packs" in the form of gems anyway... so I can take a shot at cards I do not yet own but can play in future standard events.

• Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    Why do RotGP HOU is out of standard now no more of that please do TDW every weekday, you only have 1 coal event per week now used to be 2 make it that like again please, so do TDW every weekday and weekend a PvE coal and everyone will be happy with you

• joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    No way! A five node event during the working week would be absolutely insane.
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Gabrosin said:
    Frankly, I'm not sure why you guys put yourselves through this dance of players complaining about packs and constantly needing to update event data to keep up with it.  The event reward should just say "Booster Pack (xQuantity)" and then let players redeem them for whichever set they want to open.  One small adjustment to your digital storefront and you'll never need to deal with this complaint again.

<drops mic>
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    I too would like to put an emphasis on changing awards for Rotgp. I am a leader of a coalition and have a really hard time convincing myself why I should play this event, and I have two players already debating to skip it. It just simply doesn't reflect the point of where we are in the game right now. Legacy cards have become less and less a priority, even more so due to the (good) change to TG and the nerfed prizes for the legacy event. @Brigby, please inform the devs that *many* of us would like current awards in coalition events. Or make it as @Gabrosin suggests - each player choosing his award. That would actually be truly awesome
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Can we please get some mid-week PvP content @Brigby?  Do you guys realize that TLCD, TPC, TSTC, ANOW, etc take about 30 minutes to complete?  Which means there is very little to do in the game from Monday afternoon until Friday afternoon.  

I really think you should both run these "at your own pace" events (ie TLCD, ANOW, etc) and also a PvP event (probably alternative coalition and non-coalition based on this poll) each week.  But please make them worth playing (not 20 jewel top prize) and not the SAME events every week like TS and EMC.  The rewards dont have to be 300 jewels, but 20 is a joke.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/71934/mid-week-coalition-event-poll-v-2#latest
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    babar3355 said:
    Can we please get some mid-week PvP content @Brigby?  Do you guys realize that TLCD, TPC, TSTC, ANOW, etc take about 30 minutes to complete?  Which means there is very little to do in the game from Monday afternoon until Friday afternoon.  

I want to go back to the old schedule.  We would have one Coalition PvP and one non-Coalition PvE every week, and one Coalition PvE and one non-coalition PvP every weekend.  That was more than enough content when combined with Training Grounds and Trial of the Planes (and if we did it now, with Across Ixalan).
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    babar3355 said:

I want to go back to the old schedule.  We would have one Coalition PvP and one non-Coalition PvE every week, and one Coalition PvE and one non-coalition PvP every weekend.  That was more than enough content when combined with Training Grounds and Trial of the Planes (and if we did it now, with Across Ixalan).
    Works for me... They seem to not realize how little content they are providing us with these PvE events.  But more importantly, its not just a reason to log in and play some matches. My main enjoyment of the game comes from trying to place highly in competitive events.  There is 1 per week now, meaning I am incentivized to do something else with my time.. this cant be good for business.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    babar3355 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    babar3355 said:

Works for me... They seem to not realize how little content they are providing us with these PvE events.  But more importantly, its not just a reason to log in and play some matches. My main enjoyment of the game comes from trying to place highly in competitive events.  There is 1 per week now, meaning I am incentivized to do something else with my time.. this cant be good for business.
    There is a distinct lack of content designed to challenge players.  The game badly needs an always available mode (PvP or PvE) in which players can play as much as they want with escalating difficulty and escalating rewards.  Real rewards too, not just runes.

I find myself turning more attention to MtG Arena these days and less to PQ, and the lack of desire to do more in PQ than the bare minimum is a big factor.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    The "at your own pace" events don't need the strict time restrictions they have and it's quite safe to let them overlap with other things as long as there are enough days to just fit them in wherever.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    boopers said:
    @Brigby
    Another option might be to sub-out packs and replace with substantially more jewels, gems and orbs so that the players can then purchase an equivalent number of standard packs/cards. 
    I think that, going forward, this is the best idea yet. If you reward with crystals instead of packs people can use them however they wish, on either Standard eligible cards or on Legacy sets if they choose. It would require making all cards available at all times in the Vault, but I don't think that should be a problem... ;)

• TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    babar3355 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    babar3355 said:

Actually it seems perfect right now since my battery can barely make it through the mini-PVE's and maybe 1 or 2 rounds of AI before the power-sucking latest version of Greg's playground makes me put my phone down cause I'm powerless again... :#
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Why is it so hard to make a schedule for a longer period?
    Unless Octagon is making a surprise release, there is nothing new coming for two months. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2018
    babar3355 said:

I really think you should both run these "at your own pace" events (ie TLCD, ANOW, etc) and also a PvP event (probably alternative coalition and non-coalition based on this poll) each week.  But please make them worth playing (not 20 jewel top prize) and not the SAME events every week like TS and EMC.  The rewards dont have to be 300 jewels, but 20 is a joke.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/71934/mid-week-coalition-event-poll-v-2#latest
    Although I can agree with you on a possible mid-week PVP event. I am opposed to a mid-week coalition event unless its something very simple like A World Reborn for the following reasons:

- Not everyone completes these events in 30 minute. We must consider newer players.
    - Standard format rotation that has occurred within the last two months and the objective changes in certain events has increased deckbuilding time. This has increased the overall time investment in the game. Like the point above, not everyone builds a deck in 10 minutes.
    - Its a work week for most people in addition to having family, friends, household chores, to do lists,  life goals, other hobbies. (unless D3GO wants to hire me and pay me)

Therefore, I agree with you to some degree but I cannot say 100%. However, I am a firm believer in BALANCE. If they could just balance things like event length, refresh timers, starting charges, and max charges better then this wouldn't even be an issue.... (insert derogatory phrases here).

Currently with the huge standard rotations and objective changes in events, I would suggest waiting just a little bit until implementing anything coalition mid-week (thinking 2+ weeks to 1 month). This will reduce those who are burnted out in addition to provide more content around the time things get super boring and redundant.

That said, I completely agree that rewards need to be reworked. BOTH updated prizes to reflect the current standard format as well as incremental increases to non-coalition PVP events. 20 jewels is seriously a slap to the face for the amount of time that is invested.