Wording on Mirror Image

Options
Given that we're dealing with a brand new effect here (cloning) I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, but ...

The wording on Mirror Image is very confusing. Since the paper version enters the battlefield as a copy of something else (if you want, it can remain a 1/1 if there's nothing worth copying in play) it doesn't seem to be even remotely close.

Currently, it creates a copy of target creature that's already on the battlefield in your hand (not directly onto the battlefield as clone effects normally do), meaning you have to pay 5 *more* mana to cast the same creature you already have in your deck, or to copy something else in play. Seems like a **** implementation to me.

If nothing else, discount the new copy by the cost of the Mirror Image (5).

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You might be missing the point on mirror image. You get to use it to target one of oppenent's creatures and then cast it. Like hostage taker except your opponent still gets to keep their creature. Lets be honest, getting a creature of your choosing on battlefield for just 5 Mana is too good a pay off to expect from an uncommon.

Copying another card is not exactly a new mechanic, Naru meha, Jaya's ultimate and mirrari also do that and the copies are always added to hand.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    According to my information, this is the intended behavior for this card, but I can see how the wording can be confusing. 
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I clearer phrasing could be: "create a copy of the target creature in hand" 
    I had to try it myself to see what was the effect
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Was promising till I used it. Have to have mana gains to properly implement depending on card but it may be too late in many instances. Have to wait and see
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I cannot seem to make it work at all.  The wording suggests a target of any kind.  Yet the action to choose a target does not occur. Nor does any automated action.  It simply casts like any other creature and nothing happens.  I've tried with a creature out on the opponent's side. Nada. I've tried with a creature in hand. Nada. I've tried with a creature on the battlefield.  Nada. 

So @Tombstonewhat does this card do exactly and how do you trigger its effect upon casting? what are the casting requirements so to speak?
  • gogol666
    Options
    Mirror image doesn't do anything if the opponent has no creatures. If he has at least one you can copy any creatures but mirror image.
    The copy is a new card put in your hand and you have to load it.
    You cannot copy tokens, of course.
    However, it should work even when the opponent has no creature 
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    gogol666 said:
    Mirror image doesn't do anything if the opponent has no creatures. If he has at least one you can copy any creatures but mirror image.
    The copy is a new card put in your hand and you have to load it.
    You cannot copy tokens, of course.
    However, it should work even when the opponent has no creature 
    @gogol666  Sadly it doesn't work at all under any condition.  

Due to the phrase "target creature" this should allow either yours or the opponent's creatures to be targeted by mirror image.

I tried to make it work under these conditions. 

1. A creature you control is on the battlefield.  Cast Mirror image.  Mirror image creature plays and nothing is copied.  Nor is there a prompt to choose a target. I did not have 6 cards in hand that could prevent the copied card from being inserted.  

2. A creature opponent controls is on the battlefield.  Cast Mirror image.  Mirror image creature plays and nothing is copied.  Nor is there a prompt to choose a target. I did not have 6 cards in hand that could prevent the copied card from being inserted.  

3. No creatures on the battlefield. Divulge in my hand confirms that there is a creature in the opponent's hand.  Mirror image creature plays and nothing is copied.  Nor is there a prompt to choose a target. I did not have 6 cards in hand that could prevent the copied card from being inserted.  

4. No creatures on the battlefield.  I have three creatures in hand. Mirror image creature plays and nothing is copied.  Nor is there a prompt to choose a target. I did not have 6 cards in hand that could prevent the copied card from being inserted.  Nor does Mirror image create a duplicate of itself.  

The card is a dud. You're basically getting a 1/1 for 5 mana.  Nothing else occurs.  

• Panyfire
    Panyfire Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't have any issue with it apart from the wording suggesting you duplicate the card chosen into your battlefield. That could be tidied up. 

How it works for me:
    Enemy has a creature in play, I cast Mirror Image, it then asks me to choose a target, I chose the enemy creature, a copy of the enemy creature card is added to my hand. 
  • Gunmix25
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Panyfire said:
    I don't have any issue with it apart from the wording suggesting you duplicate the card chosen into your battlefield. That could be tidied up. 

How it works for me:
    Enemy has a creature in play, I cast Mirror Image, it then asks me to choose a target, I chose the enemy creature, a copy of the enemy creature card is added to my hand. 
    Strange.  I get none of that

Edit: on a hunch (based on your comment) I went back and gave it another go. It is working. Not sure what I dealt with yesterday but I didn't work at all. Tested it thoroughly to be sure. 

This buggy stuff is annoying 
  • gogol666
    Options
    Situation 2 works for me as well, but 1 is not working if opponent has no creature