Gambit sold in...

Jesus Jones
Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
So how long did it take for you to decide to sell your Gambit? 

Mine wasn't champed and since I am not a 5* player it took me about an hour to decide to sell him. 106k and 9 5* covers came in handy. 

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    About 3.4 seconds after I tried using him and realized the repeater tile was 2 turns, not 1. Somehow I missed that in all the hoopla over him.

If it was 1 turn he'd still be mid-tier. He's just trash now.
  • Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Did you get 106k for a level 390 gambit, @Jesus Jones?

I'm questioning whether to invest the 300k iso to level my Gambit to claim the 9 tokens rather than the 1 token he is worth now. It would be good to know the iso refund
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think a related, but perhaps slightly more helpful question for these forums is "who should really consider selling their gambit?"

For those with a small 5* bench all at or near the same level, selling gambit makes little sense.  He isn't trash now, and every vaguely useful warm body is important for smaller rosters.

But for players with gambit leveled way up above the rest of their 5* rosters, selling makes more sense: it's awful to have 490+ MMR when your usable 5*s are 460 or less.

I am not sure what makes sense for mega-whales with deep 5* rosters all at or near 500.  Is a random assortment of covers helpful?  selling gambit won't hurt much, but if the sale price isn't especially helpful, then it's a lot of effort to throw away (and having gambit at least champed for his featured week in PVE is always useful).

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Never.  I don't place a lot of value in getting a bunch of likely 5* covers that I don't want (the majority of the characters that I could pull) by selling my only champed 5*.  The dilution of 5* characters is a problem imo with this offer.  Since I don't play PvP much, other than dabbling in it here or there, it is a much bigger benefit for me to keep him for PvE as he is still ok, just not amazing like he was.  His purple power hits for a lot more damage now and should be the focus of the team instead of his red.  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Took me like a week.  Still not sure if it was the right thing or not, but it's done now.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    It took a few days.

I initially removed the 'itch' by re-rostering a dupe 2* so I didn't have enough spare Iso, but several days later when I did have enough Iso to get him to 439 (the sweet spot to get 13 tokens for a 13-cover Gambit) I leveled him up, sold him, and lucked out by getting 3 Okoye covers putting her at 5/4/3.

Sadly, I'd recently boosted Daredevil from 350 to 400 so he could tank Purple over my 390 Gambit (R.I.P.) so I'm still running into 5* teams in PvP. Fortunately I only play enough to get the 575 pts and 10 CP, so Okoye and a currently boosted America Chavez are usually enough to get the job done.

Also my Rogue is at 298 so when they make her a feeder for Gambit (which will be any day now) I'll be able to re-roster him. So no real loss there, either.
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Minutes.  I already had my mind made up to sell him.  I played one match to verify I wasn't going to like him post nerf, and immediately sold him once that match was over and I don't miss him at all.  I'm much more engaged in the game and off of "Gambolt Auto-Pilot".
  • Valdarias
    Valdarias Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I only had 2 5* characters that were worth leveling : bolt and gambit. I used them all the time in my battles and can't tell you how much i'm frustrated by the nerf.

I could consider selling Gambit's covers, but honestly i don't find any 5* interesting for the moment except Black Bolt. And not being refunded for all the iso i invested on him keeps me even more from doing the sacrifice.

But let's talk about the nerf a little bit. 

purple : for a high cost of 11, you'll have 2 countdown tiles that can not even delete enemy countdown tiles anymore, and will probably be aligned by enemies. Even worse when leveling this ability, the damage will decrease but you'll have one more countdown tile that probably won't make it to 0.
    So basically, complete nonsense in my opinion for this ability. Too expensive and useless against enemies that make alignments on their turn. The only interesting thing about this ability before the nerf was to be able to delete countdown tiles, not doing massive damage. It was all about strategy. You should have decreased the damage and keep the effects.

red : it's been mentioned that the damage done by this power is ridiculous. The cost is not even cheap. The only good thing it will do is to create 3 charged tiles, but the enemy could also benefit from it. 

Black : ok so, it does not guarantee you with purple and red each turn, but still prevent you from firing red and purple from another ally. To me, THAT is the more absurd. It only made sense if the character was a little stronger than it should be, but now it's weaker and you still get punished for choosing Gambit.
    Oh and i almost forgot that it doesn't destroy enemy AP anymore. 

I agreed Gambit was strong, but in my opinion, it was balanced by the fact that we could not fire red and purple from another ally. I can admit he could be adjusted a little bit, but now he's just a liability... Not a tank, not a damage dealer, not a support character... He's just nothing, a ghost.

I'll keep my Gambit's power and hope that you will consider rebalancing this guy in the future when you see nobody using him anymore because you destroyed him. I'll be ready ;)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Valdarias said:
    I only had 2 5* characters that were worth leveling : bolt and gambit. I used them all the time in my battles and can't tell you how much i'm frustrated by the nerf.

I could consider selling Gambit's covers, but honestly i don't find any 5* interesting for the moment except Black Bolt. And not being refunded for all the iso i invested on him keeps me even more from doing the sacrifice.

But let's talk about the nerf a little bit. 

purple : for a high cost of 11, you'll have 2 countdown tiles that can not even delete enemy countdown tiles anymore, and will probably be aligned by enemies. Even worse when leveling this ability, the damage will decrease but you'll have one more countdown tile that probably won't make it to 0.
    So basically, complete nonsense in my opinion for this ability. Too expensive and useless against enemies that make alignments on their turn. The only interesting thing about this ability before the nerf was to be able to delete countdown tiles, not doing massive damage. It was all about strategy. You should have decreased the damage and keep the effects.

red : it's been mentioned that the damage done by this power is ridiculous. The cost is not even cheap. The only good thing it will do is to create 3 charged tiles, but the enemy could also benefit from it. 

Black : ok so, it does not guarantee you with purple and red each turn, but still prevent you from firing red and purple from another ally. To me, THAT is the more absurd. It only made sense if the character was a little stronger than it should be, but now it's weaker and you still get punished for choosing Gambit.
    Oh and i almost forgot that it doesn't destroy enemy AP anymore. 

I agreed Gambit was strong, but in my opinion, it was balanced by the fact that we could not fire red and purple from another ally. I can admit he could be adjusted a little bit, but now he's just a liability... Not a tank, not a damage dealer, not a support character... He's just nothing, a ghost.

I'll keep my Gambit's power and hope that you will consider rebalancing this guy in the future when you see nobody using him anymore because you destroyed him. I'll be ready ;)

Okoye should work well with Black Bolt, FWIW. Make him do even more damage each turn!
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    I actually championed gambit a day before he went into classic, I spent every single cp and latest legendary tokens to make approximately 220 pulls. Gambit went from 0 to 474 that day. But adversely I had to dump more than 50 4*covers because the lack of ISO.
    It was a smooth sail ever since. Gambit reduced my mpq time, I was steadily finishing top 20 in SCL9 PVEs. I don't mind the monotonous play with gambit. With him, I slowly build up another 5* champion Thor. I knew people were calling for gambit nerf, I was just hoping the day will never come.
    Nevertheless, gambit nerf was announced early July. Only enjoying him for a few months, I was frustrated. But then because of gambit, I managed to hoard another round of 220 pulls. I was lucky they introduced JJ and okoye at the right time. Yes, now I have both of them championed again, JJ again at the day before she went into classic. I too fully covered IWCapt.
    I was initially upset with gambit nerf, he's indeed trash level now. But I moved on, gambit send me to another new height, new stronger 5* Champs. Yesterday, I sold him because I know I can never use him again. I'm glad I had wonderful ride and made right decisions at the right time, the decisions that still keep me in SCL9 comfortably.

I sold Gambit in 13 days. 
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I just bit the bullet last night. I found myself not wanting to use Gambit anymore. I just couldn't find a use for him, he's not terrible though. I was able to get 23 pulls and ended up getting 4 Okoye and that champed her, so it was a success for me.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Any idea how much longer this offer will be in effect?