4* DDQ: Battle of the...: The Symbiote Within vs The Rock-Hard Skin Outside!

Steel_Colt
Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
Guys, I'm struggling with coming up with titles with battles like this, I can't find the common ground with Venom and Cage. Suggestions welcome!

Cage feels scarier than he actually is. While he can hit hard and shut down your damage output with his protect tiles, you can effectively deny Cage by playing smart.
If you don't fire powers, he doesn't place his protect tiles. Without protect tiles his yellow can't fire. This means you only have to worry about denying red, which works out perfectly as this is one of your damage dealing powers. Collect red, yellow and black and fire everything at once. If you can't down him in one go, try to fire your powers when there is a lot of black on the board so your chances of matching away his protect tiles are better. 

Champed Venom did it first time, fired two back to back full power reds for the win. Token got me the other 4* Venom, champ level 285.

Comments

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    My champed Venom survived two fortified protects. One red, two blacks and one yellow did it anyway. LT gave me a third Okoye (1/1/1). I like even distribution of covers  ;)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not too difficult with my champed Venom.  Just relied on Alien Weakness to wear Cage down while denying red, then cast red once to finish him.

Interestingly, the H4H store isn't showing a preview of the next character.  I wonder if there is some shakeup for the next round?
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    Not too difficult with my champed Venom.  Just relied on Alien Weakness to wear Cage down while denying red, then cast red once to finish him.

Interestingly, the H4H store isn't showing a preview of the next character.  I wonder if there is some shakeup for the next round?
    I noticed this as well, it only shows a SHIELD logo with the text "Check back later for more heroes!"
    It does show the two 5* Essential offers (Okoye and Infinity Cap.)
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    I bought my 13th (14th counting one saved) cover in H4H and blew my iso cache just to see what's so great about Flash Thompson in symbiotic spandex. I'm happy to say he did not disappoint. First try, I got a couple of bad drops that gave Cage 12 of his 13 red AP, plus I forgot to fire off my black power before it turned into random board shake / self damage. Even then, I still wound up with enough of my other colors sitting there that I just popped off all of my powers in a row and demolished Cage with nearly 11k health left.

Token got my my second Okoye black cover! Woot!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice and easy with a 291 5/5/3 champ.

LT yielded Red Hulk plus a bonus Shuri.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lv277 Flash Thomson 5/5/3 had no issues. Just hoarded AP until Alien Weakness kicked in and had enough to fire red twice.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Infinity War Black Widow now showing as next in H4H,  which seems odd
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3 Lvl 276. Took a little while, since I didn't want to let him get Protects out and use all the yellow he'd picked up while I was denying red, but eventually I got enough to hit him with red and then a pair of blacks in one Turn and that dropped him.

Seems like this would be a nightmare with an under-covered Venom, especially with few covers in Military Might. I wonder if if might actually be better in that case to just scoop up as much AP as possible and see what Alien Weakness could manage.

Anyhow, Token was a Wa5p blue. Less than ideal, but at least it was the colour I didn't have for her.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Undercovered AV here and got whipped up in round 1. My AV is 5/1/2 so at least I’m sporting 5 covers in the biggest damage dealing power and I applied some boosts for round 2. Heavy red board that seemed to only be available to match when it was my turn led to a thrashing of big Luke in round 2.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyhow, Token was a Wa5p blue. Less than ideal, but at least it was the colour I didn't have for her.
    Ohmigod! Ohmigod! It's a purple one, a purple one! How excit... aw, ****. :s
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Ohmigod! Ohmigod! It's a purple one, a purple one! How excit... aw, tinykitty. :s
    Yup. Same here. Wasp blue, and not the good Wasp. Painful getting an Epic pull and being completely let down by it.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    The blu-ray release of Avengers: Infinity War is coming out on 14th August, so perhaps they varied the schedule for that?
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    The blu-ray release of Avengers: Infinity War is coming out on 14th August, so perhaps they varied the schedule for that?
    sounds plausible - but not something i can recall them doing before
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Ohmigod! Ohmigod! It's a purple one, a purple one! How excit... aw, tinykitty. :s
    Nah. More just resigned to fate. And it is satisfying to have her fully coloured, even if it's not actually meaningful in any useful way.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    It took a full load of health packs before i got it done with my 4/2/4 lvl 143. Initially I was trying to deny him AP and fire powers when I could match the black, but that wasn't really working for me since the most damage I could do from a power was 3600 or so with more than 13AP on a color. So on my last health pack, I just started matching everything, going for match-4s and so on until I had enough to fire red twice, and was able to win with 1k hit points left. I got a Kate Bishop for my troubles. 

I ended up with a 4/1/3 Bl4ck Widow, so I ought to be able to hide out behind some invis tiles on the next one while I nibble away at their HP
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited August 2018
    No problems for 3/5/5 lvl 273 AV (I've never bothered to re-spec). To avoid getting hit with yellow and dealing with shields, I just played it as a match game and let the symbiote & cascades do the work. Once Cage was down enough health, I just fired all my powers at once to take him down.

LT was a level for Kate.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Luke 'Power Man' Cage was easy pickings for 5/5/3 275 Agent Venom.  I was surprised how easy it was; I didn't even deny him colors.  I just one-two punched him with the red & the black and down he went. 

I got a purple Kate Bishop to save.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not having a good time with this one. 3/1/5 Lvl 130 AV not doing it but I'm loathe to spend any iso. :neutral:
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a fairly dismal cover distribution for this fight, but having the hit points really helps his survivability
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    First try for my level 192 2/4/5 Venom. The board was primarily purple, green, and blue, so it was a long, slow battle. I finally got Alien Weakness cranked up, and the damage from cascades wore Luke down pretty fast.

My reward was a yellow Okoye, bringing her to 2/3/1.