Darogaaz the busted?

cmassive13
cmassive13 Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
edited August 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
EDIT: Just so everybody knows, Darigaaz’s support says simply: “.... return Darigaaz Reincarnated to the battlefield.”

Playing the Dragon War event has opened my eyes to how obscenely powerful Darigaaz is. I always assumed the support he leaves on his death trigger went away when he was reborn. Why is this not the case?
Instead of an egg hatching one Darigaaz, it’s a portal that makes a new Darigaaz EVERY TURN. By far the most insanely broken reanimation mechanic in the game. If you can’t draw/cast your support removal (note: not land or artifact removal), you die to a 32/32 Darigaaz. Just happened to me three consecutive games

its an easy fix: make the tinykitty egg support destroy itself after reincarnating one Darigaaz

Comments

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    A note for those who might have been confused, Darigaaz has to be in the graveyard for his support to resurrect him. It won't just summon unlimited copies from nowhere, and exiling or bouncing him prevents him from creating his support in the first place. If I didn't have Darigaaz, I might have been confused by the initial post. As to whether he's overpowered, maybe a bit, but there are a good number of ways to deal with him. Heck, a first strike creature with 6+ power and On Serra's Wings would kill him every time, as he can only summon one copy per turn.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Also worth noting that his support won't trigger unless he's been killed from the battlefield. Discard and mill effects do not cause it to appear.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Matthew said:
    Also worth noting that his support won't trigger unless he's been killed from the battlefield. Discard and mill effects do not cause it to appear.
    Unsummoning spells(A lot of cheap blue ones), exile!, destroy and destroy support(too much energy), remove graveyard spells.... too note that if the support is out , milling will activate the support. Great starter summons in matches as his support will grow to activate every turn if Dari is destroyed.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    @DBJones is mistaken. After the support has the required number of shields it makes a new one every turn. It does NOT grab them out of the graveyard. (Unless it plays out in different ways to different people?)

He gets bigger every turn unless you destroy the support. Exiling or bouncing him before is fine, but after he's died the support is the enemy not him.

Destroying the support is a bad idea too, it needs to be exiled instead of destroyed after creating him.

I suppose if it _was_ just grabbing them out of the graveyard it might work ok, but it doesn't. Even then it should lose at least 8 shield for each one it grabs.
  • Aeroplane
    Kinesia said:
    @DBJones is mistaken. After the support has the required number of shields it makes a new one every turn. It does NOT grab them out of the graveyard. (Unless it plays out in different ways to different people?)

He gets bigger every turn unless you destroy the support. Exiling or bouncing him before is fine, but after he's died the support is the enemy not him.

Destroying the support is a bad idea too, it needs to be exiled instead of destroyed after creating him.

I suppose if it _was_ just grabbing them out of the graveyard it might work ok, but it doesn't. Even then it should lose at least 8 shield for each one it grabs.
    From what I've seen it grabs Dari from the graveyard , but I play a lot of graveyard decks.
  • cmassive13
    cmassive13 Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Call it circumstantial, but just today I’ve seen several different decks use that support to churn out more copies of Darigaaz than could possibly be in the graveyard (ie the first egg support creates a copy for 3 or 4 consecutive turns, with no other mechanism for putting them in the graveyard. I was playing a deck with zero discard)
    The support can be turned down a bit and the card is still insane. Giant hasty dragon with built-in recursion. Doesn’t have to have a pack rat mechanic built in
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Call it circumstantial, but just today I’ve seen several different decks use that support to churn out more copies of Darigaaz than could possibly be in the graveyard (ie the first egg support creates a copy for 3 or 4 consecutive turns, with no other mechanism for putting them in the graveyard. I was playing a deck with zero discard)
    The support can be turned down a bit and the card is still insane. Giant hasty dragon with built-in recursion. Doesn’t have to have a pack rat mechanic built in
    Were they running something like Gather the Pack?  There are a lot of cards that put stuff in the graveyard.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Darigaaz's support only pulls him from the graveyard, and only 1 copy at a time. It gains 3 shields every turn once it's on the field regardless of whether there are any Darigaaz in the graveyard.

If it pulls a Darigaaz, it means one was in the graveyard for it to do so.

The support only spawns if you kill Darigaaz on the field, not if you discard him from the opponents hand. The simple solutions to Darigaaz are either disable him, exile him, steal him, or bounce him. If you do end up killing him, destroy the support asap; you have 2 turns.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I'm mistaken and it does pull them from the grave (will keep my eyes more open!) it still needs to lose 8 shields every time it makes one and exile itself instead of being destroyed.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    It's a token support. If it's destroyed, it gets exiled. It enters the graveyard, triggering Angraths ult or any other thing that triggers when something enters the graveyard (I hate that part) and is then exiled like all other token supports. 
  • Aeroplane
    Kinesia said:
    If I'm mistaken and it does pull them from the grave (will keep my eyes more open!) it still needs to lose 8 shields every time it makes one and exile itself instead of being destroyed.
    The Dari shield doesn't lose it's reenforcements when summoned from the graveyard. It'll just keep ramping up. The Antiquities war support can capitilise greatly on Dari's support. Dari is a great card , especially, with the new standard. Anti-Bolas, durable, haste, Karnable with 3 colors, a dragon!, and historic. He's my favorite creature in standard. So flexible.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    There seems to be some wires getting crossed .1: the only way to get the support in play is to kill him from play. Discarding won't make it spawn , mill won't make it spawn. 2: the support only puts dari in play from your graveyard at the beginning of your turn, at a rate of 1 per turn. 4 daris in the bin means a new dari every turn for 4 turns . Here's the confusing part: once the support is on board with the requisite number of shields, it doesn't care how dari got in the bin , just that you have one in the bin . Gather, itlimoc, anything that puts cards in your yard is fine, as long as you've had 1 dari die from play and you have the support with the proper shield count. It's quite good, but it's not oppressive. Just annoying. Make sure you're prepared. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    There seems to be some wires getting crossed .1: the only way to get the support in play is to kill him from play. Discarding won't make it spawn , mill won't make it spawn. 2: the support only puts dari in play from your graveyard at the beginning of your turn, at a rate of 1 per turn. 4 daris in the bin means a new dari every turn for 4 turns . Here's the confusing part: once the support is on board with the requisite number of shields, it doesn't care how dari got in the bin , just that you have one in the bin . Gather, itlimoc, anything that puts cards in your yard is fine, as long as you've had 1 dari die from play and you have the support with the proper shield count. It's quite good, but it's not oppressive. Just annoying. Make sure you're prepared. 
    Perfect description of how it works for me.
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    What there is no question of, however, is that it is one of the strongest cards in the format right now.
  • TheExaminer
    TheExaminer Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Can confirm that the egg summons unlimited Darigazes, even if none are in the graveyard. Somehow never lost to it, but definitely had some very close games.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been saying this since he was released.  The support should self-destruct when it reanimates him.  There is no reason it should stay out indefinitely.  In paper he suspends himself for 3 turns before resurrection every time, I see no reason it should be different in PQ
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Can confirm that the egg summons unlimited Darigazes, even if none are in the graveyard. Somehow never lost to it, but definitely had some very close games.
    Never for me, I have to use Gather tha Pack or Glorious Rebirth to get "extra" Daris with it's support, and I like this way of being. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    rafalele said:
    Never for me, I have to use Gather tha Pack or Glorious Rebirth to get "extra" Daris with it's support, and I like this way of being. 
    Darigaaz summoned infinite clones when he first came out, but they fixed that bug awhile ago. How peculiar. I had multiple Darigaaz die without summoning infinite clones in this very event.

It might be one of those "only under X circumstances" bugs now?

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Doesn't look to be busted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDO1rxJaunw
    Video courtesy of a jolly ol' chap.
  • TheExaminer
    TheExaminer Posts: 94 Match Maker
    It could work differently for you and your opponent, I guess. Or the devs fixed it in the last update.