I'm doubting "cover waste" will be no more. Thoughts?

Yepyep
Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
So with the advent of the (super welcome) increase on storage limits for covers of unchamped toons, there is much talk that there will be no more cover waste. 

But I have doubts about whether this will be strictly accurate. Do we know the answer to this question yet: basically, if we have 3-5-5 or 4-4-5, if we receive a cover of the non-5 color will we be able to bank it? Or will we need to train in that color and functionally burn a cover in one of the other colors? Put another way, will we only be able to bank covers in colors for which we already have 5 -- and only 5 -- covers?

Anyone have thoughts on this? I know we'll find out tomorrow, but for many of us it matters with every minute that goes by with regard to choices about investing ISO and on whom.

Comments

• ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    • Removed the restriction that a character could only save covers, if they had less than 13 covers
    I'm guessing this means that you can now save covers 14 through ... 114? If not, I think there will be a lot of unhappy players. I'm really hoping the non-5 cover color won't have to be trained up, thereby forcing us to lower one of the other colors (which to your point now becomes waste) before saving that cover. That would indeed suck, and would leave many players, who thought this change was a MAJOR game changer in resource strategies, in berserker fury mode. Hulk himself would be like, "Damn those guys are PO'd!"

If it all works the way we think it should, there are several 4* characters I'm actually thinking about saving all 100 covers beyond the initial 13, then champing them, add all 100 levels to get the rewards all at once, then selling and starting over, lol. Would be Kraven, but he's already champed. This way I can save the iso for characters I actually want to use.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can save all colors, it was answered deep in the announcement thread. You'll have the option to re-spec if you want to from the character itself, but I think your vine will just let you save or sell.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    This was answered on pg. 4... the default is to Save from your cover stash.

IceIX said:
    bluewolf said:
    @Brigby Could you please ask if we can save a 14th cover that is not also a 6th (or more) cover?  Ex:  3Cap is 3/5/5, and you pull a yellow. Can it be saved, or is it going to be a champ/sell/respec situation (like all 14th covers currently)?
    @IceIX

Since you’ve already replied in this thread could you answer as well in the event you see it first?
    It will prompt you to Save. You can still respec manually if you like by going into the character in the Roster screen, but if you look at the vine, the default option is Save.

• Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    This was officially answered last Thursday, in fact.

Disclaimer: This is how I'm interpreting CM responses to the discussion in that thread; I do not mean in any way to imply that I've tried out the build or seen the user flows/stories for myself.

As I understand that answer, if you get a 4th or 5th cover for a character you already have 13 total covers for, the button on your reward queue will say "Save" instead of "Train". If you want to spend the cover on a Power Shift _instead of_ saving it, that's still an option, but you'll need to go to the character detail page to train that cover specifically. The default behavior of Power Shift will consume the appropriate cover from your reward queue if it exists, or the required number of Saved covers otherwise (after confirming this is something you want to do). The default behavior of the "Use Cover" button from the reward queue screen is to Save if possible, or Train otherwise.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Thanks very much @ThaRoadWarrior, @Hendross, and @Tensuun! Great news, for sure. I suspected someone had asked the question but I don't always have time to read those deep threads...
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's still potential coverwaste if you open more new characters than you have HP to roster. This change doesn't suddenly erase that. Most new players will still have to hoard tokens, or -what they are banking on- buy HP.
    It's great for mid tier players in that ISO crunch though. Removes a lot of feel bad there.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    As @Daiches said, this removes the iso crunch but doesn’t solve the hp crunch for new rosters. If your roster slots are full then hoarding tokens is still a must until you get some new slots.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems to me that iso never drove many sales; HP does. So the devs decided to remove, effectively, iso pressure and cover waste to encourage opening tokens and the need for roster slots.  And also encourage, by extension, using HP to buy tokens.

It also pretty much tells us that roster slots definitely ain’t going down.  Which we knew already; this just emphasizes the point.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    It seems to me that iso never drove many sales; HP does. So the devs decided to remove, effectively, iso pressure and cover waste to encourage opening tokens and the need for roster slots.  And also encourage, by extension, using HP to buy tokens.

It also pretty much tells us that roster slots definitely ain’t going down.  Which we knew already; this just emphasizes the point.
    That’s because the price for Iso is a joke. $400 worth of ISO doesn’t even champ a single 4*. The fact that the price has never been changed means either it still sells well enough for those in whale land (doubt) or the bad return rate is purposeful to avoid making the game overly pay 2 win
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I imagine whales would get more iso buying Starks and 40 packs than they would buying iso directly.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I imagine whales would get more iso buying Starks and 40 packs than they would buying iso directly.
    I'm no whale but my understanding is that yeah, buying massive amounts of 40-packs effectively eliminates the need to buy ISO because you get so much of it from champion rewards and SHIELD ranks.