Who should I favorite?

DanielleL
DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
I had Doctor Strange as my 3* favorite since I was trying to level him up and he's champed now. I had Wolverine as my 4* in preparation of his crash which I've now completed. I'm wondering who I should focus on next.

For 3* I want to work on those not yet champed but not sure who.

For 4* I'm not sure what I want to do. I could prepare for another specific crash. I could keep changing it for each crash when they're going on and the next one after once I beat it. I could prepare for PVE essentials. I could do what I used to do with my 3* and have it be whomever I don't have rostered so I can get them all faster. Or I could build up a specific 4* but again I'm not sure who.

Suggestions please.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    You've got a number of good 3* options. Thanos is the last of what I consider the Big Three of 3* land that you don't have Champed, but he's also the least important of the three.

Thor and Spidey are both solid characters, and just one cover away from Champing, but they have 5 in a colour, so you might get a frustrating run of a bunch of saved covers. Not terribly likely, tho, and that's a much less painful consequence now.

Psylocke and Hulk both have the "golden" 4/4/4 distribution, but they're not that great. An option to keep in mind if you just want the LT from their first Champ level, tho.

They're a bit further away, but Kamala Khan and Luke Cage are both good contenders now that you don't have to worry about cover waste. Great characters, and Cage pairs really well with 3* Iron Fist, who you already have Champed. 3* Captain America is in more or less the same category, too. Even tho he's mostly a copy of the 2* version, his numbers scale up much better, so he's a vastly more useful character.

4* Bonus Hero, I'd probably go for America Chavez or Medusa. Both have abilities that are useful even at relatively low levels and number of covers. Wasp is also a solid contender here. Or you could try to pick up Valkyrie, who I don't think you have yet, and who in some ways actually works better at lower levels because the damage thresholds to trigger her passives go up as she levels up.

Hope that at least helps you narrow things down a bit!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,570 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think 3* Spidey is a good choice. You can run him with Falcon and every purple match creates a shield and powers up Falcon's aoe for more Shields. His yellow also now hits like a truck and gets more dangerous if he is last man standing but is expensive. And of course you stun spam.

The other 3* I would concentrate on is Scarlet Witch. Her blue passive is a great help in powering up Iron Fist/Deadpool/Falcon/Bullseye.

All of Alexis ideas above are solid, the only thing I would add is it might be worth BH 4* Captain Marvel at some point as you have a champed 3* version which will spit out a cover as you go.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    You champed IM40. Now it's time to get Cap and Kamala.

The 4-star meta is Rocket & Groot, Gamora, and Medusa. Like them or not, when you start your 4-star transition life will be a lot easier if they are at the beginning of your transition. You might also want to think about their counters for SHIELD Sim (seriously, they will be all over the sim), which are Thing/Deadpool or otherwise Rhulk/Carol/Grocket.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    For 3*s, I recommend making sure all your farm-fed characters are champed so that you get compound interest from your 2* champion rewards, so I would use it to get them all to champion one at a time.

I just put this in a different thread, but for me the single most important 4* you can chase is Vulture, then do G4mora, then 4ocket, then Medusa.

vulture/g4mora will let you win any node if you're managing them right by stun-locking and then AoE killing everyone. Add 4ocket for the monster strike tiles, then medusa for the all purpose support.
  • DanielleL
    edited July 2018
    Thor and Spidey are both solid characters, and just one cover away from Champing, but they have 5 in a colour, so you might get a frustrating run of a bunch of saved covers. Not terribly likely, tho, and that's a much less painful consequence now. 
    DAZ0273 said:
    I think 3* Spidey is a good choice.
    It's funny you both mentioned Spider-Man. I updated my gamependium roster right before making this thread. Like literally, I saved my roster then came immediately to the forum and posted. So at the time I posted he was at 12 covers. But when I was playing while on break at work I ended up getting another cover for him so now he's champed, lol. I usually wait until my days off to update my roster but I might do it now to reflect his champing.

As for the frustration of saved covers, I definitely get that. My Mystique was at 1/5/5 and got enough saved covers to be 2/5/5 and have four saved covers after. If gamependium's DDQ calendar is correct I should finally get her third purple in about a month meaning I won't have to trade in more of her saved covers for one. :)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Actually, whenever the next patch goes live (monday?), you'll be able to just keep saving covers up to 100 and not "have" to trade them.
  • DanielleL
    You've got a number of good 3* options. Thanos is the last of what I consider the Big Three of 3* land that you don't have Champed, but he's also the least important of the three.

Psylocke and Hulk both have the "golden" 4/4/4 distribution, but they're not that great. An option to keep in mind if you just want the LT from their first Champ level, tho.

They're a bit further away, but Kamala Khan and Luke Cage are both good contenders now that you don't have to worry about cover waste. Great characters, and Cage pairs really well with 3* Iron Fist, who you already have Champed. 3* Captain America is in more or less the same category, too. Even tho he's mostly a copy of the 2* version, his numbers scale up much better, so he's a vastly more useful character.

4* Bonus Hero, I'd probably go for America Chavez or Medusa. Both have abilities that are useful even at relatively low levels and number of covers. Wasp is also a solid contender here. Or you could try to pick up Valkyrie, who I don't think you have yet, and who in some ways actually works better at lower levels because the damage thresholds to trigger her passives go up as she levels up.

Hope that at least helps you narrow things down a bit!
    Thanos sounds good.

Thor's a good choice.

If gamependium's DDQ calendar is correct, I'll get Psylocke and Hulk from there next month so no need to worry about them.

Further away's fine. Plus favoriting's a way of getting them up quick. That's how I got my Strange and IM40 up because they were both low. KK and Luke Cage were two I was considering so that sounds good. Never cared much for 2* Cap so I'm glad his 3* is better.

Yeah, I've heard America Chavez, Medusa, and Valkyrie are good. And I've enjoyed Wasp when I've used her. America Chavez's crash is right now so maybe I'll fave her while it's going on.
  • DanielleL
    Actually, whenever the next patch goes live (monday?), you'll be able to just keep saving covers up to 100 and not "have" to trade them.
    I know. Saved covers were already awesome and that just makes them better. :)
  • DanielleL
    DAZ0273 said:
    I think 3* Spidey is a good choice. You can run him with Falcon and every purple match creates a shield and powers up Falcon's aoe for more Shields. His yellow also now hits like a truck and gets more dangerous if he is last man standing but is expensive. And of course you stun spam.

The other 3* I would concentrate on is Scarlet Witch. Her blue passive is a great help in powering up Iron Fist/Deadpool/Falcon/Bullseye.

All of Alexis ideas above are solid, the only thing I would add is it might be worth BH 4* Captain Marvel at some point as you have a champed 3* version which will spit out a cover as you go.
    Yeah, SW's blue would be nice to be on my side instead of the enemy always getting the purple and the crit they often make.

Using the 4* Captain Marvel in her PVP has been fun.
  • DanielleL
    Dormammu said:

The 4-star meta is Rocket & Groot, Gamora, and Medusa. Like them or not, when you start your 4-star transition life will be a lot easier if they are at the beginning of your transition. You might also want to think about their counters for SHIELD Sim (seriously, they will be all over the sim), which are Thing/Deadpool or otherwise Rhulk/Carol/Grocket.
    I'm surprised multiple people mentioned Cap. I don't recall seeing him mentioned much in other threads for 3*s. I'll have to consider him.

Ugh, seeing the same team over and over in PVP gets annoying and boring. But being prepared for them is good. :)
  • DanielleL
    For 3*s, I recommend making sure all your farm-fed characters are champed so that you get compound interest from your 2* champion rewards, so I would use it to get them all to champion one at a time.

I just put this in a different thread, but for me the single most important 4* you can chase is Vulture, then do G4mora, then 4ocket, then Medusa.

vulture/g4mora will let you win any node if you're managing them right by stun-locking and then AoE killing everyone. Add 4ocket for the monster strike tiles, then medusa for the all purpose support.
    I have a few of the farm-fed's champed so that's a good start. :)

Those sound good. Seems those last three are popular choices.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,570 Chairperson of the Boards
    DanielleL said:
    Dormammu said:

I'm surprised multiple people mentioned Cap. I don't recall seeing him mentioned much in other threads for 3*s. I'll have to consider him.

Ugh, seeing the same team over and over in PVP gets annoying and boring. But being prepared for them is good. :)
    IM40 + 3* Cap is an awesome team. Get 6 yellow, fire Recharge and Cap should be able to get in business with his red & blue powers - as those powers can both overwrite enemy tiles and also return AP, 3* Cap can go on a run of stunning and shield slamming whilst IM40 gets his next Recharge ready. Add in another user who benefits from IM40's AP production and you have a pretty nice team.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Alternatively, you could bring in Hood for passive AP steal and countdown shortening; i think he's the only countdown reducer at the 3* tier.
  • Dormammu
    DAZ0273 said:
    IM40 + 3* Cap is an awesome team. Get 6 yellow, fire Recharge and Cap should be able to get in business with his red & blue powers - as those powers can both overwrite enemy tiles and also return AP, 3* Cap can go on a run of stunning and shield slamming whilst IM40 gets his next Recharge ready.
    Yeah, this.

IM40 gets Cap started. Cap's red and blue shield-throwing abilities create a countdown tile of which you choose the placement. It'll overwrite any tile, including (and especially) enemy special tiles. Those countdown tiles return almost all the AP needed to re-cast with Cap. Once this train gets rolling, Cap's shields will stun/demolish everyone in short order.

Add Kamala into this mix and she burst heals your team every time Cap does something (which is all the time) and she'll feed off IM40's green AP generation to AoE all your opponents into submission - if Cap hasn't already turned them all into hamburger.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    3* Magneto.   His blue is a really, really good damage power with some board shake.  This is uncommon in blue powers overall.  His red is decent damage with good cascade potential.  Both powers should be at 5 once champed.  His yellow at 3 isn't great but it is a decent power to use if you don't have any other active yellow users on your team.

3* Cap is your next best option as mentioned by other people when you pair him with IM40, you can start to get a control of a match and can sometimes out punch your weight.  

In addition both of the above characters are fed by 2* characters.

3* Thanos is good but I doubt that you will like his self-team damage at this point in the game with your roster.  Unless you pair him with Patch and Daken, you will be dealing a decent amount of team damage to yourself whenever you kill an AI character.  This isn't a fast team either as Thanos, Patch and Daken don't have any AP abilities. I think Thanos excels once you have champed 4* who have quicker damage and higher health pools myself.  
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trying not to mention any character that's been mentioned above:

3*
    Cyclops, he has two nukes (red/black) and a yellow that accelerates his red AP

Black Panther, i don't normally use him because of the AP he gives the other team, but a black AOE is rather rare, and his strike tiles are nice

Quicksilver, there will be some matches (boss battles in particular) where it helps to have someone who can swap tiles.  Since your Coulson isn't up to speed QS is a good choice

4* 
    If you're going the crash route, just keep an eye on the calendar cause once their crash passes, they're not coming around for about a year...

Ghost, she was fun to play with during SHIELD, and there's a cover in SHIELD SIM this season.  

Thoress, once she's fully covered, her and IM40 wreck shop

Clagger, them and Vulture go hand in hand.  

Cyclops/Jean Grey, they are overlooked nowadays, but are powerhouses.

Peggy, her AP tax and stun can be lifesavers

Team Wakanda (BP and Shuri), all that passive damage is bonkers

Star Lord, lowers your power cost, cheap nuke, and can overwrite goon countdowns. Not great against tile movers, but against goons, he's pretty good.  
  • Dormammu
    Warbringa said:
    3* Thanos is good but I doubt that you will like his self-team damage at this point in the game with your roster.  Unless you pair him with Patch and Daken, you will be dealing a decent amount of team damage to yourself whenever you kill an AI character.  This isn't a fast team either as Thanos, Patch and Daken don't have any AP abilities. I think Thanos excels once you have champed 4* who have quicker damage and higher health pools myself.  
    What you say is absolutely true, but Thanos is worth is weight in ISO even if he's just used to clear seed teams, which he can do faster than anyone and potentially net you a couple extra teams beyond the standard 8 (I've had as many as 11, but only with Thanos.) In the new win-based PvP this is rather valuable.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa said:
    3* Rocket & Groot work with him really well, too. They actually do even better than Patch or Daken at keeping from getting dropped by his own-team damage when clearing Seed Teams, because those matches are often just 1-2 moves, which doesn't give Patch or Daken much time to heal, but R&G pop right back when you make a yellow match.

re: 3* Cap: He's another kind of like 3* Thor, who I think we talked about a bit before. You don't see him discussed all that much because he's a pretty simple character, and there's not a lot to talk about, but he's got good numbers everywhere (except the cost of his yellow), and some great utility since he can overwrite any tile with red or blue at 5 Covers.
  • DanielleL
    If faved all the suggestions so far. I kind of wanted to work on one at a time but this works too, lol.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
       Take a look here:  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/63041/guides-tips-and-free-gifts-compendium#latest. It's got a whole wealth of information that's, usually, very helpful  .  I would put priority on reading the Character Guides especially Dauthi's 3* guide.  Even though this guide is a bit outdated it is at least still very relevant, even today.