R158 Release Notes *Updated (8/2/18)

Options

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:
    All that's really needed now is for covers to never expire.
    If I understand the system correctly,  they effectively don't?

You can save a full max dup version of each char in your cover bank.

What scenario do you envision where you would have 14 covers on your vine?
    It's not immediately obvious that you'd be able to save every cover you see though.  If you have an unlevelled character covered as 5/5/3, and receive a new cover for the third colour, what happens?  Does it let you save that cover, or does it prompt you to respec the character?

With that said, I think this is a massive improvement even if I could only save two thirds of covers in the above case.
  • Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    We have a sell all button, a save all button would be useful.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:
    All that's really needed now is for covers to never expire.
    If I understand the system correctly,  they effectively don't?

You can save a full max dup version of each char in your cover bank.

What scenario do you envision where you would have 14 covers on your vine?

If I don't have a character rostered and no HP for a roster slot.  There are members of my alliance in that position, especially the newer guys.
    And that will probably not change. You WANT people to be in a bind, having more characters than roster slots, because that's how you get them to spend money on HP. Those with iron wills to wait and open tokens only when they can roster new characters will be unaffected, but this change ultimately puts more pressure on the general player to buy HP.

Since there's less pressure for pulling covers of fully covered characters, because they can just be saved until you have the ISO needed to champ, there's less risk of waste, and more incentive to open tokens and spend CP. Which, for newer players, circles back around to being more likely to pull covers they can't roster. Which will gently pressure them into spending on the HP to roster the new character.

We're singing the praises of no wasted covers for veterans, but the tweak also makes it easier to put newer players in a position where supporting the game provides direct benefit to themselves, which should be a win/win for everyone. The devs have said a significant amount of HP goes towards roster slots, and you want to encourage people to keep doing that to keep the game alive. Thankfully MPQ appears to be doing so without being too overbearing (ie, you never feel like the game is pointless if you don't spend, and diligent play habits can let you circumvent the need to spend if you want; spending still feels optional, because if it starts to feel necessary people will be driven away).

Covers that don't expire take away the need to spend, and will hurt more than they'll help.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't fault your logic that it's good for the game.  But it's kind of a hard sell to the newer players.
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    I can't fault your logic that it's good for the game.  But it's kind of a hard sell to the newer players.
    Maybe 1* roster slots should be for free?
    That will be little help for begginers.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Raud said:
    Roster slots aren't tagged for specific tiers. You can put whoever you want in a roster slot, including selling the 1-star that's in one and replacing it with a 2-star or above. What you're proposing would feel restrictive. Players would be stuck with "1-star roster slots" with characters they no longer use, and no reason to sell them other than to farm XP.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby Could you please ask if we can save a 14th cover that is not also a 6th (or more) cover?  Ex:  3Cap is 3/5/5, and you pull a yellow. Can it be saved, or is it going to be a champ/sell/respec situation (like all 14th covers currently)?
  • Megaturd
    Megaturd Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options

• Fixed a rare crash with The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
    It’s about time. Thank you
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Depends on how you look at it. Being able to tell people that the game doesn't bend over backwards to screw them over, and that if they really get into it they can get their money's worth on a single $20 purchase (or $100 for bigger spenders), not a bad sell compared to a lot of mobile games out there.

But I do think the curve is a little sharp, and the price of roster slots spikes faster than your HP income, so once you're in the ballpark of 15-20 slots the process of acquiring new slots starts to feel daunting, and that's not great for newer players. I'd like to see the curve shift. A large part of the price pattern has four slots at the same price, then a price increase. Maybe they could make earlier roster slots cheaper, but then once the scale starts going up, you increase the price every three slots instead. Overall, you'd aim for the price of 100 roster slots to be the same whether you purchased them before or after the change, but the change in the curve would be designed to move when you spend that HP, so that you gain earlier slots faster, to make it more friendly to new players.

Basically, MPQ is way better than a lot of microtransaction mobile games, but that doesn't mean we can't work on polishing the rough spots anyways.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Depends on how you look at it. Being able to tell people that the game doesn't bend over backwards to screw them over, and that if they really get into it they can get their money's worth on a single $20 purchase (or $100 for bigger spenders), not a bad sell compared to a lot of mobile games out there.

But I do think the curve is a little sharp, and the price of roster slots spikes faster than your HP income, so once you're in the ballpark of 15-20 slots the process of acquiring new slots starts to feel daunting, and that's not great for newer players. I'd like to see the curve shift. A large part of the price pattern has four slots at the same price, then a price increase. Maybe they could make earlier roster slots cheaper, but then once the scale starts going up, you increase the price every three slots instead. Overall, you'd aim for the price of 100 roster slots to be the same whether you purchased them before or after the change, but the change in the curve would be designed to move when you spend that HP, so that you gain earlier slots faster, to make it more friendly to new players.

Basically, MPQ is way better than a lot of microtransaction mobile games, but that doesn't mean we can't work on polishing the rough spots anyways.
    There's also the scl packs which are the best value in the game. It's hard to imagine there's a real big roster slot crunch if you buy those. Especially since everyone is still conditioned to hoard tokens. Because we tell people to hoard tokens first and foremost as new players until they can afford a new slot. And this change doesn't change that advice one iota. It only benefits those that now hoard due to lack of ISO.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    @Brigby Could you please ask if we can save a 14th cover that is not also a 6th (or more) cover?  Ex:  3Cap is 3/5/5, and you pull a yellow. Can it be saved, or is it going to be a champ/sell/respec situation (like all 14th covers currently)?
    @IceIX

Since you’ve already replied in this thread could you answer as well in the event you see it first?
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    CNash said:
    Raud said:
    Roster slots aren't tagged for specific tiers. You can put whoever you want in a roster slot, including selling the 1-star that's in one and replacing it with a 2-star or above. What you're proposing would feel restrictive. Players would be stuck with "1-star roster slots" with characters they no longer use, and no reason to sell them other than to farm XP.
    Ewen now players stuck with Sentry or Flaptain in their rosters  :)
    And some 1* char are the best for supports help  :)
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know, this Loki clue isn’t quite troll enough. He also needs an illusion power that can change his art (not for animations, just the active character art), even to characters not in game. Loki, Sif, and of course, Dazzler (just to name a few).
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If this is a solution for not being able to implement colorless covers, why not simply put a 1-1 cover exchange rate. Don't get me wrong it's a nice change, but I see no reason to have a high exchange rate if I can just save vast amounts of covers when I max cover a character.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder if this was the "big thing coming in July."  If so, color me impressed and amazed.  This is a significant improvement that helps a large portion of the playerbase, from beginner to veteran.  Great job.
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    Fantastic QOL improvement. Now I'm hoping the update comes before this Johnny Blaze cover dies on my vine in 7 days...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is so typical. I hae a JJ on the vine that'll expire Sunday night, right before the patch goes live XD

Still though, this is an amazing and wholly unexpected update to an already welcome system. Covers on the vine are a thing of the past, it seems!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am assuming that you cannot save covers for a fully maxed champ character correct?  Such as a level 266 3* or 144 2* etc.  

If you can save covers for those characters, that would mean something else is in the works since having extra covers saved in those characters would mean nothing in the current state of the game. 
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    I am assuming that you cannot save covers for a fully maxed champ character correct?  Such as a level 266 3* or 144 2* etc.  

Yeah, no saving for already maxed characters.