Man, Kingpin Really Sucks...

heybub
heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
Played Kingpin for first time in a long time for the DDQ, and man does he suck.  He is virtually useless by himself.  I only have him at 4/4/3, but I barely beat Cage after like 6 fights.  His black does absolutely nothing!  The damage from black doesn't even cover the damage the destroyed countdowns would do.  And it cannot be used without a friendly countdown on the board.  At least if the black did something, it would at least do something.  

Can we get a buff here?

Comments

• Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Part of the problem is that he works just fine as an enemy when he's with two of his Maggia goons feeding him AP and spamming countdowns to pop.

Unfortunately as a playable character, there is virtually no reason to use him now. Sure, he can generate yellow and make some decent countdowns with his purple and yellow respectively, but C&D cover the same colors as Fisk in the same tier and they can also generate yellow.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    this is why i am fine that my kingpin is 0/5/5 :)
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, he was hit *way* harder with the nerf gun than he should have been.  He shouldn't have ever been nerfed in the first place, but that's another story.  If he's not the worst character in the 4-star tier, I'm not sure who would be.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, he was hit *way* harder with the nerf gun than he should have been.  He shouldn't have ever been nerfed in the first place, but that's another story.  If he's not the worst character in the 4-star tier, I'm not sure who would be.
    I'd say Flaptain.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Pre-Nerf I remember people used to say he was a sub-standard character, but I happened to get "lucky" and early-on Kingpin was one of my better covered/highest leveled characters, so I played him more than most people, and I actually really enjoyed using him.  As I got more/better options, he did get taken out of my regular rotation.

Then he got updated, ie Nerfed, for no apparent reason last August.

I don't think I used Kingpin since the Nerf, until this recent DDQ, and the OP is right, he's TERRIBLE.  Mine is champed at L306, and I still lost three times.  I can't remember the last time any of my champed toons lost in Crash of Titans, much less three time in a row.

Ugh.  What an awful experience.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    His was the 2nd 4* cover I ever got (over 3 years ago). I instantly sold it back then and have been selling his ever since.
    Garbage!
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    His was the 2nd 4* cover I ever got (over 3 years ago). I instantly sold it back then and have been selling his ever since.
    Garbage!
    His black was the first 4* cover I ever had and I used it constantly because it was cheap and relatively strong at the time among my roster of 1*s and 2*s. That's probably part of what bugs me about his changes.
  • barrok
    barrok Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    I remember dropping a bunch of money on ant-man back in the day because the combo of kingpin purple into antman yellow into king pin black, seemed really strong.

Just got back in the game after a few years and holy cow he's bad. He wasn't OP back then so I am surprised to see him worse lol. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess the ability to poke a finger at people was just too powerful a weapon and old Kingy had to be cut down to size (but what a size that is).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kingpin needs a goon with him for sure, he is trash-garbage solo now. Somebody like Medusa, Valkyrie, or Awesome Hulk who keep a countdown on the board passively tend to help him, but most of those CDs are more valuable on the board than they are getting pointed at. I wish his black would have been like Command Decision, and reduce 1 to 0 or remove 3 to do AoE rather than just straight removal. I "like" mine at 3/5/5, and I try to just let his countdowns count down. I actually kind of like running him with Coulson, even though Coulson does nearly everything he does better on the same colors, because of the passive countdown shortening. I haven't compared numbers, but i have it in my head that KP's countdowns do more damage than Coulson's. My Coulson is lvl 283, and Kingpin is 272, so it's hard to compare (especially when neither yellow describes the effects of the CDs that get created in the description)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    My favourite thing about Kingpin was that we finally got to have those pesky henchmen on our side! So I liked having his yellow countdowns resolve. His black might as well not even exist for me now.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    It's really a shame, because he used to be decent before they nerfed him for literally no reason at all.

I still don't think we ever got a justification.
    The funny thing is that they didn't consider it a nerf.  They thought it was a boost since now there's AOE component to black, not minding that you can't use black on it's own...

In order to improve him:
    1) get rid of 1 countdown minimum to fire black.
    2) let us pick which countdown to sacrifice.  
    3) let us decide if we want to sacrifice one for a nuke, or 3 for the AOE.
    4) passive - have him gain yellow/purple/black ap (depending on number of covers) when a countdown expires 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish his black did something different altogether. Maybe a passive that did match damage boosting based on how many friendly countdowns were on the board with a repeater that would shorten the timer on a random friendly countdown every time it deprecated or something. He is demonstrably worse now than he was before, that's all I know.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    If they put his black the way it was he would be fine again, that black in this current meta is horrible.
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    His only reliable use is to generate Yellow for someone else.  And I suppose that has some AP destruction, too...but..that's it...you know, for the plethora of yellow nukes out there....