Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) (7/23/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

"Emma Frost spent her charmed youth honing her mutant gifts to become one of the world's most powerful psychics. Coupled with her creative flare for manipulation, Emma's powers carried her swiftly up the ranks of the powerful and villainous Hellfire Club.

After a devastating attack wiped out her school, Emma joined forces with the X-Men. Despite their antagonistic history, Emma's dedication to educating mutant youth has made her into an unlikely ally."

Check out the brand new 4-Star Emma Frost, and find out how you can recruit her onto your team! 

4-Star Rarity (Legendary)
Heroes, X-Men
purpletilepng blacktilepng yellowtilepng

(Abilities listed at level 270, Power Level 5)
Psychic Meddling - 10 purpletilepng AP
Emma weaves her way through the enemy's mind, further destabilizing their psyche at every turn. Creates a 2-turn Purple Repeater tile that destroys 4 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles. If none exist, the Repeater tile destroys 2 AP in the enemy's strongest color instead. (Does not generate AP.)

Girl's Best Friend - 11 blacktilepng AP
When the pressure's on, Emma transforms into her powerful diamond form. Fortifies up to 6 friendly Special tiles and turns this power into Diamond Skin.

Diamond Skin - blacktilepng Passive
Emma's diamond skin grants her super-strength, but limits her psychic powers. Emma's match damage is increased by 325%, but she cannot fire powers. When there are no Fortified friendly Special tiles on the board, this power becomes Girl's Best Friend.

Labor for Learning - 8 yellowtilepng AP
Emma makes sure her team is fully-trained, battle-ready, and appreciative of the merits of lifelong education. Creates a 2-turn Yellow Repeater tile that places 2 strength 90 Strike tiles and improves up to 3 existing friendly Strike tiles by 58. 

Recruit Emma Frost!

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training Heroes for Hire
  • Starts: July 26th, 7:00am EDT
  • Ends: August 2nd, 7:00am EDT
  • Price 7,000 Hero Points
  • Contents: 
    • Ant-Man
    • X-23
    • 16x Elite tokens
    • 6x Command Points
    • 20,000 Iso-8
Emma & Friends - Vault
  • Starts: July 29th, 7:00am EDT
  • Ends: August 4th, 2:00am EDT
  • 80 Items: 
    • 1x Legendary token
    • 3x Beginner Support tokens
    • 1x Random Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) cover
    • 2x Random 4-Stars from the Call for Backup missions, with an option of the following characters:
      • Spider-Man (Infinity War)
      • Ant-Man
      • X-23
    • 21x 3-Stars
      • 3x Featured
      • 18x Random
    • 52x 2-Stars
      • 10x Featured
      • 42x Random

Event Schedule

The Hunt
  • Starts: July 26th, 7:00am EDT
  • Ends: July 30th, 2:00am EDT
  • Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) in Placement Rewards
S.H.I.E.L.D. Training
  • Starts:July 26th, 7:00am EDT
  • Ends: August 2nd, 7:00am EDT
  • Rewards tokens to The Hunt, random cover of Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men), and more
Hearts of Darkness
  • Starts:July 29th, 7:00am EDT
  • Ends: August 3rd, 2:00am EDT
  • Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) as a Progression Reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Emma & Friends vault
Mind Like A Diamond
  • Starts:July 29th, 8:00am EDT
  • Ends: August 1st, 3:00pm EDT
  • Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) as a Progression Reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Emma & Friends vault

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see this, and all I'm thinking is, "no boss event this week".
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Looks promising, could be interesting paired with BP and/or Shuri. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice! Not another variant!

Now fix dilution please... Just saying 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks promising, could be interesting paired with BP and/or Shuri. 
    That was my thought as well. She complements Shuri's colours perfectly, too.
  • Trilateralus
    Richyyy said:
    Happy to finally see her in the game; utterly 'meh' on the character. Powers look too expensive for stuff that isn't that great anyway. Another 4* that won't come close to being finished initially, and will sit on the end of the roster without really being all that bothered about it.

8 AP for her yellow isn’t exactly what I’d call expensive, purple maybe. My thought is people are more likely to bring her for her transformed match damage regardless. 
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Richyyy said:
    Happy to finally see her in the game; utterly 'meh' on the character. Powers look too expensive for stuff that isn't that great anyway. Another 4* that won't come close to being finished initially, and will sit on the end of the roster without really being all that bothered about it.

8 AP for her yellow isn’t exactly what I’d call expensive, purple maybe. My thought is people are more likely to bring her for her transformed match damage regardless. 
    If you want increased match damage just use ghost, no transformation required. She looks very meh, just like ghost her powers look very expensive and don't really do much. Glad i'm in 5* land now so this doesn't bother me too much, although we just got wasp so...man, who's designing these high AP cost do nothing characters?
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    broll said:
    No boss event release  :(
    I know right.  Could use a break from pve grind
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Richyyy said:
    Maybe now, but when her support comes out that reduces her AP costs, all will be well!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. I wonder if her purple power stacks. From the wordings, I assumed that it can be stacked.

2. I would probably run her 5/5/3 for some control.  

3. Emma is a control/support character, so for those offensive style player, she will be disappointing.

4. I like her fortifying power and it mentioned special tiles. So, I assume it's going to fortify her repeater tiles as well. 

5. Overall, not a must have but if your strategy revolves around fortification, she's a great addition. Like what others said, she pairs up perfectly with Shuri for ap destruction and increasing opponents' ap needed to cast power. You will see many passive damage going here and there.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's about tinykitty time.

Namor
    Red Skull
    Emma Frost
    Shadowcat & Lockheed
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I am also starting to fear that a lot of these new releases will be very medicore on their own, but if you get their support they will be decent. 
    This is the most obnoxious thing that could happen in this game.  Unfortunately I fear it too.
  • Trilateralus
    zulux21 said:
    Richyyy said:

why would you bring her for her transformed match damage that takes 11 black to trigger when you could instead bring a character that starts with almost as much match damage from the get go? (Ghost has 300% instead of 325%)

her yellow is her best move, but there are plenty of other people that I would rather have to put tiles on the board.

she is designed to do a lot of support stuff,  but it's stuff that other characters that already exist in the game and do way better.

Unless I'm missing something I can't see her landing anywhere but in the bottom half of the 4* meta, which is always a huge disappointment when it comes to a new character.

I'm fully expecting a support announced in a few weeks that reacts to repeater tiles for her, that will make her better. but I am also starting to fear that a lot of these new releases will be very medicore on their own, but if you get their support they will be decent. And since supports are still almost impossible to get and level up without spending tons of money (and even then) it's just going to make me stop caring about the characters.
    Ghost is a different character, using different colours, and different powers that work in a completely different manner. If I wanted to use Ghost I would but it would change who else I brought. 
    I’m partial to special tile creators so Emma Frost’s powers appeal to me. Will they be any good? I won’t know for sure until I try her. The key is going to be who she pairs well with and how much her powers help them. 
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    5/5/3 with Panthuri. This should be fun.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Her face looks like she got stung by a bee. 
    Yeah. I'm really hoping those are just supposed to be highlights or something, and they're not as bad in other angles.