MPQ Sneak Peek: July 2018 Edition *Updated (7/27/18)

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I guess we get regular versus events in the off season again?
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    Its for the XX years of Ms/Capt. Marvel celebration.  That's why only Marvel PvP during the off-season. (in addition to the Capt.Marvel support introduced).
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    It'd be a nice touch if they made one of the most common 4*s a feeder for Gambit, so that people could sell their Gambit if they wanted to and then have a single cover so that they still have him when he's essential. Not saying it's likely to happen, but it'd be a nice way to help people cover their bases.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    fnedude said:
    Its for the XX years of Ms/Capt. Marvel celebration.  That's why only Marvel PvP during the off-season. (in addition to the Capt.Marvel support introduced).
    And that couldnt wait 4 to 5 days, or could have been moved up a little? 

I would really appreciate the original off season pvp to return. In fact, i was hoping they would kinda build upon those instead of taking them off the market...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    So, Spider Woman in Placement for Simulator and Fight and Flight. Champion Update? Who will it be!?
    Spider Man (Back in Black)
    Jessica Jones
    Black Widow
    Gambit (since he got Fixed and can have a Feeder, so why not?)
    someone that makes even less sense than that.
    I'm going to guess JJ.  I think Thanos, I wind up thinking Thanos Copter, and then when I googled the image he was fighting Hellcat, who happens to be JJ's friend on Netflix.  

So, JJ, with a Hellcat or Thanos Copter support  :D

And shouldn't Spider-Woman be able to use Hydra Henchman, since she was born into Hydra....

Or they could be lazy and make it Thanos. Even though he has a feeder already, the 3* Thanos somehow feeds Spider-Woman  :|

Or they can troll us and feed Doc Ock cause the eight legs thing  :#
    An alliance member found something about Alias originally intended to have Spider Woman, but they changed that due to Spider Woman’s large role in Secret Inavasion.

Also, Jessica Jones from Jessica Drew.
    Whilst it is definitely true that Alias was originally going to have Jessica Drew in it, I don't think Secret Invasion was the reason it was changed as Alias came out 7 years earlier than SI. I've heard that as Bendis was writing it, the character arc took off to a much darker place than originally envisioned and he decided it would be better to have an original character as the one he was writing varied quite a bit from Jessica Drew as previously characterised.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    So, Spider Woman in Placement for Simulator and Fight and Flight. Champion Update? Who will it be!?
    Jessica Jones
    Black Widow
    I'm going to guess JJ.  I think Thanos, I wind up thinking Thanos Copter, and then when I googled the image he was fighting Hellcat, who happens to be JJ's friend on Netflix.  

And shouldn't Spider-Woman be able to use Hydra Henchman, since she was born into Hydra....

Or they could be lazy and make it Thanos. Even though he has a feeder already, the 3* Thanos somehow feeds Spider-Woman  :|

An alliance member found something about Alias originally intended to have Spider Woman, but they changed that due to Spider Woman’s large role in Secret Inavasion.

Whilst it is definitely true that Alias was originally going to have Jessica Drew in it, I don't think Secret Invasion was the reason it was changed as Alias came out 7 years earlier than SI. I've heard that as Bendis was writing it, the character arc took off to a much darker place than originally envisioned and he decided it would be better to have an original character as the one he was writing varied quite a bit from Jessica Drew as previously characterised.
    I’m not sure I can accurately discuss the reasons for using an original character beyond the fact that Alias was originally a “MAX” line book, and that certain events occurred which Marvel maybe wasn’t fully OK with happening to Spider-Woman.  So maybe it was a Bendis decision, but probably also the nature of the book made Marvel suggest a new character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    Jessica Jones
    Black Widow

I’m not sure I can accurately discuss the reasons for using an original character beyond the fact that Alias was originally a “MAX” line book, and that certain events occurred which Marvel maybe wasn’t fully OK with happening to Spider-Woman.  So maybe it was a Bendis decision, but probably also the nature of the book made Marvel suggest a new character.
    I suspect that played a large part also but don't forget this was under the stewardship of Bill Jemas who didn't really have any qualms about breaking rules or taking risks. I believe Bendis offered to tone it down but Jemas response was to create the MAX line so that he didn't have to (and he of course also famously took Marvel out of the CCA). IIRC at least one comic book retailer refused to carry the first issue because of the controversial scene between Jessica and Luke - considering they allowed an established character like Luke Cage to be used in such a way it isn't a massive stretch to think Jemas wasn't gung-ho enough to have let Bendis use Jessica Drew. So I suspect that Bendis had at least some input.

Anyway, it ended up much better with Jessica Jones being an original character.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    DAZ0273 said:
    That was so nobody got it confused with the Bat-Copter.
    Here's the whole explanation, plus you get to read the whole comic.  Spoiler alert, Thanos is clumsy...

https://www.cbr.com/thanos-spider-man-batman-thanoscopter/2/

LOL. Looks like the Avengers should have just called the police they seem to have Thanos under control.  :wink:
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    From the Emma Frost preview, we're getting X-23 as a required character for the SHIELD training again?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *(7/24/18) Brigby - Updated Versus events, Story events, Weekly Buffs, and added details about Emma Frost.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Doctor Strange in the Hunt so Okoye misses out this round??
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, the 3 Latests this time were JJ, Lumbercap, and Wasp.  Phoenix should follow Strange.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    Yeah, the 3 Latests this time were JJ, Lumbercap, and Wasp.  Phoenix should follow Strange.
    Except Okoye was in Latest all that time so misses out. Of course it should have been Okoye for Simulator...
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Spider-Man in shield training? Really? You couldn't have chosen someone who's been in tokens for more than a month as a third? I thought you guys were done with that **** ages ago.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    S.H.I.E.L.D. Training - Emma Frost (7/26/18) *New Update*
    Required Characters:
    4-Star: Emma Frost, Spider-Man (Infinity War), Ant-Man, X-23

:/ 

My Spidey will be 1/4/4 after the CM3 PVP, and if I manage to make t5 in Simulator he'll be at 2/5/5. Progression cover will be a useless red. Sure that's technically enough to to be able to raise him to Lv. 209, but I'm more concerned with the fact that you guys chose to make him a requirement right after making it so much harder to acquire newer 4-stars. You received universally positive feedback on the switch to characters that weren't so new, I truly don't get it. I would have said, "Oh they just want people to drop some funds to chase the character", but the Hero For Hire offer includes everyone BUT Spider-Man! The heck is going on in that office? 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasn't x23 just in shield training? 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's funny how the goodwill from Ant-Man and the Wasp (2x iso, more Ghost covers, etc) evaporates so quickly when they decide to go backwards... 
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Wasn't x23 just in shield training? 

X-23 was in SHIELD Training back in March, Ant-Man this past January. The classic essentials were following no discernable pattern, but the required 'latest' four star should have been Main Event Hulk following the schedule that had been set. If this was Wiccan or Blonde Widow, I'd be hot but my 3/5/4 level 250 Iron Spider will do all right in this.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a sanity check, it's the 3-day version of the Hunt and 4-day of Heart of Darkness?