4* DDQ: Battle of the Rivals: Loving Claws vs Dreamy Eyes!

Steel_Colt
Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
Little early with the new post, but I'm on vacation and won't have time after the Crash goes live and I want to continue my streak of Crash posts.  :wink:  
Not expecting much trouble with champed XFW, going after black and green and hopefully have Cyc generate some red on the board before Surgical Strike.
Will update later with result, good luck everyone!

Comments

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
      This should be renamed "one of the best self fueling 3*s" vs. a very solid 2* (XFW).  Truth be told I would have felt more at ease bringing my max champed 2* Wolverine into this fight rather than my level 150 5/3/4 XFW :/  .
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    At 295 my 5/5/3 XFW is sadly my highest level 4-star. Simple strategy here. I fell into black matches and got enough for Surgical Strike, but there wasn't any red on the board. Curses! XFW's Achilles' heel. I started matching green to cause some board shake with X-Force. That happened and lo and behold, some red showed up.

Token to the hoard and Logan goes home with Jean.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    As expected, first try got the win. It was a close call though, as Wolvie had less than 500 health left at the end of the battle. 
    It did go pretty much as predicted, chased black and green, did some board shake and let Cyc put some red on the board. Fired Surgical Strike and that was the end of Dreamy Eyes Summers. Did eat one Full Blast and one Optic Blast along the way, but nothing that Wolverine can't recover from.
    Logan indeed goes home with Jean. And all is well with the world. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    I won the Crash on the third try with my 3/1/1 level 115 XFW, after maxing out all the relevant damage boost. It was a close shave because Cyclops got 8 red ap and 12 black ap on his second last turn. He lucked into a match-5 and I thought my XFW is a goner because he has less than 1000hp left. Luckily he cascaded into purple match. Cyclops then went on to match yellow to bring his yellow ap to 8. I matched 3 colourless tiles to down him and won the prize of LT. During the match, I activated X-Force twice and the rest of the power once. Cyclops managed to Optic Blast me once and Mutant Revolutionary me once.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    277 5/5/3 XFWolvie.  Had to boost him on my 2nd try, got a bad board where Cyke kept getting 4 & 5 matches.  Chased black & green, tried to deny red; after a few turns, I won.

Sandman champ level.
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Fight took longer than it should have due to a bad board but still got it first try. Took a red from cyc early and finally got enough yellow to heal from it, then took another red immediately after that.

Finally got enough black for surgical strike but there wasn't much red on the board so I had to wait. I let cyc get a couple yellow matches and right after cyc used his yellow I hit him with SS and took him out.

Token to new hoard since I got okoye's last cover yesterday. 
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Won this first go with my lvl 276 Wolverine - was pretty close, but 2 surgical strikes got the job done

Token was a Luke Cage, which was his 14th level, so was able to champ him immediately (as I had already brought him up to level 233 previously) - token from that was an ant-man blue, which will go into saved covers as he is 4/5/3
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    First try for my level 276 Wolverine - also, for the first time ever in a Crash, I ended with full health! I managed to land a recovery tile in a corner, and let it go off before delivering the final hit with a Surgical Strike.

My reward was a champ level for good ol' Professor X.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/4/5 X-verine. First try at Lvl 131 with no boosts was an abject failure. Scott didn't even have his health bar visibly reduced. Dumped a bunch of ISO in to bring him up to 220, added some black and green AP, and +100% match damage. Very close, but he got the AP for a second Optic Blast and took me down right before my Recovery countdown finished, which would have given me the breathing space to drop him. Third time was the charm, but again very close. This time, when he got the red for the second Optic Blast, I had just picked up enough black for my second Surgical Strike, and I hit first.

Token was a Flaptain champ level.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    This crash was rough on me. Think I got it in try number 6 with my 4/2/5 XFW. Until I beat him my best run was my test run in the beginning where I got him down to less than 1000 health. I blew a ton of boosts but in my winning match I noticed I had some retired generic XMen boosts and they helped tremendously.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,568 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lvl 282 4/5/4 XFW got optic blasted to death first time around. Second time I was able to deny red and gather black and it was an easy win after I whittled him down and then let him fire his yelllow to get more red on the board and Surgical Strike did the trick.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Lv 130, 3/4/2, with +4 Green and Black AP, +40% Green and Black Damage, +60% Match Damage, and win on 5th try. Manage to get enough black AP early in game to Surgical Strike him when there are many red on board, get some cascade. During the whole match, manage to Surgical Strike twice and X-Force twice. I think I win mainly because by cascade cause by Wolverine's abilities. Cyclops only use his yellow once which narrowly miss a red match. I think it will be a good idea, if when Cyclops is low on red AP, lewt hime use his yellow and then Wolverine can use Surgical Strike for max damage.

• Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    edited July 2018
    Took a few tries even with boosts and a 3/4/5 lv185 XFW. Maybe I'm just bad at this game.

On my first attempt, my very first turn gave Slim a red 5-match from the sky, so I don't feel that bad about retreating from that one.

After that i just kept being unable to deny both black and red long enough to keep from getting nuked.

I think it was my fifth attempt, when I managed to place a yellow countdown in a good spot and Element Guns fortified the tile. I matched it, twice, and watched Summers fall.

The token's stashed for now (on a huge pile of five) 'cause Teen Jean has two covers in my queue. 300k iso-8 to go....
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tensuun said:
    Took a few tries even with boosts and a 3/4/5 lv185 XFW. Maybe I'm just bad at this game.
    The problem isn't you. The problem is that XFW is about as good as a middle-tier 3-star and Cyclops is better than a lot of 4-stars. This Crash is a classic showcase of the disparity of certain characters at certain tiers. The last one (Kingpin vs Luke Cage) was as well.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    A glut of red on the board meant my 5/5/3 lvl 279 Wolvie was about to fall to 2 lucky Combined Forces hits in a row, but I finally got enough black for a Surgical Strike, and there was still enough red on the board to knock Cyke out

Token got me a Moon Knight champ level and a BH Carnage for my 12th cover.
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    First round knockout for 5/5/3 lvl 272 XFW. Might be the luckiest I've been because for once, I got to match my strongest colors instead of the CPU giving itself the matches. Got off one green X and 2 black strikes and Cyke went down pretty quickly. 

LT was new 5* Wasp
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    Was expecting this to be be cakewalk with champed lv 274 XFW but man was I wrong. Got totally stomped by Cyke cascading into red after red. Also, what's up with that laughable health pool? 
    Board was very black-heavy in round #3 which helped a lot. 

I feel like I would have had a much easier time with 3* Wolvie here which says a lot about XFW.

Token to the hoard!
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I posted my results in my thread building up to this crash but I guess I'll post here too. I beat it yesterday. Took me 12 tries with a 1/3/3.

The board kept giving plenty of red and when it didn't the matches were almost always blue/purple/TU so for most of my tries I didn't even get enough AP to fire a power. And that was with AP boosts. Finally got one that gave me enough yellow to put the countdown tile on the board. Well I did that but cascades ended up leaving a 4 match for Cyclops that was in the same column as the countdown so I was sure I was going to lose again. But there was another 4 match in a different spot on the board and he matched that instead. I was really lucky he chose the 4 match he did because I would have lost again if he destroyed the health countdown. I didn't even notice the other 4 match so it was an unexpected pleasant surprise when he matched that. My countdown went off allowing me to survive a later attack and eventually win. 

This was my first crash since Wolverine is my highest covered 4* so I haven't done them before. So I was glad I eventually won. My token got me my first Red Hulk cover.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    My level 130 2/5/5 wolvie did it, unbelievable. He took one red but countered with black and won. Used extra damage boosts and green/black. LT was a War Machine champ level. Goody!
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Two attempts with 192 3/1/5. Second attempt used all ap, red ap and damage boost. Got hit by one red and 2 turns later recovered all hp thanks to a well timed yellow.