5* Tier Guide and Ranking (new poll opened - 12 Mar 18)

1235»

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    atomzed said:
    ZeroKarma said:
    Finally looking through those results and I have to agree with @Daredevil217. Gambit is not close to #1 in PvE. Speaking from the perspective of a T5 player and having had the discussion with others, I would never bring him unless it’s a severely overpowered node and I have a weak 5E or he’s boosted and you need match damage.

PvE is 100% about speed, and he is slow in the current meta. By the time you’re on your second casting of red the opposing team should already be dead, and if it’s a 5E, Thor and America Chavez are clearly superior in terms of speed.

Thanos and Thor are the kings of PvE. (At least in the 5* tier.

Personal 5* PvE Ranking

1. Thanos
    2. Whoever is boosted
    3. Thor
    4. Starlord
    5. Strange
    6. Gambolt
    Interesting! why did you rank SL above Strange? Because of his steal? 

Personally, i don't rank Thanos so high because of the ap drain. I don't aim for top placement rewards in PVE, hence i prioritise health packs over speed. 
    Actually the only reason SL is in there is 4* Grocket. But it’s a very good reason. You can use other Guardians but SL champed will always be up there in health without needing to be boosted.

There are only a handful of characters that I use in PvE, but I’m not worried about health packs and I’m generally shooting for top placement. That’s why I use Thanos in every node except the 5E and even then I use him for the first two clears.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma said:
    Finally looking through those results and I have to agree with @Daredevil217. Gambit is not close to #1 in PvE. Speaking from the perspective of a T5 player and having had the discussion with others, I would never bring him unless it’s a severely overpowered node and I have a weak 5E or he’s boosted and you need match damage.

PvE is 100% about speed, and he is slow in the current meta. By the time you’re on your second casting of red the opposing team should already be dead, and if it’s a 5E, Thor and America Chavez are clearly superior in terms of speed.

Thanos and Thor are the kings of PvE. (At least in the 5* tier.

Personal 5* PvE Ranking

1. Thanos
    2. Whoever is boosted
    3. Thor
    4. Starlord
    5. Strange
    6. Gambolt
    Your #6 is 2 characters :tongue:

Atomzed's rules said to rank them by usefulness in each mode, not to put them in an order, so I trust people did, and the rankings reflect the compilation of those ratings.

If asked to put them in order, I would put Gambit and Bolt at 1 and 2 in PvE, precisely for the reason you mentioned. They aren't the fastest, but they can beat any node. No matter who the third wheel they have to drag in is. If they are allowed to bring along Thor, Strange, or Thanos, all the better, but if cursed with a 2* essential or a terribly incomplete 5* essential, no matter, Gambolt gets it done. Which makes them most useful, if not most used.

Depends on how you want to view it. They are useful in that they can beat anything. But if you’re shooting for high placement, they aren’t fast enough to compete. By that token, HE with Coulson can just as reliably take out any node or any pair of 550’s (save Gambit) in both PvP and PvE but given the speed of the victory we rank them lower. 

If if we were still using roster based scaling this would be a different story of course. Thank god that’s over 
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Just caught up with this thread (great job @atomzed ) and agree that Gambit is the GOAT in PvP but personally I feel he is slightly overrated in PVE.  But for someone to imply there is a conspiracy by players calling for him to be nerfed is laughable.

I barely use Gambit in PVE, in part because I'm sick of using him nearly every PvP match, but can think of a few reasons why he's rated so high:

1.  Put him in your lineup and even the 5* essential in CL9 is a lot more manageable;

2.  He absolutely owns Boss nodes.  Yes there are often other (and better) options but if you can field Gambolt you can do full clears even in R8 without a single healthpack;

3.  Most importantly, for a lot of people Gambit will be one of the few 5*s they have.  Some others like Thanos & Strange are in my opinion better, but not everyone has them.  If you only have some combo of Spidey/Daredevil/Gambit/Thor/Archangel then of course you'll be running Gambit more than a veteran of 5* land who has most classics champed already and rating him accordingly.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Waiting until Jessica Jones is fully covered for people and see where she ends up.

If and when Gambit gets nerfed, JJ will become the new hotness.

Hell, Jessica Jones and GladiaThor are only missing Purple.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    As a followup to my post above I added some more breakdowns. First I added the score for each character to the per mode ranking list. Second, I added an overall list which is just an average of the two rankings. Third, after looking at the numbers it became pretty clear there were obvious break points to group the characters into A-list and B-list for each mode as well as overall.

PVE

1. Gambit, 4.60
    2. Thanos, 4.55
    3. Thor, 4.54
    4. Dr Strange, 4.25
    5. Black Bolt, 4.12
    6. Daredevil, 4.06
    7. OML, 3.18
    8. Hawkeye, 3.17
    9. Black Panther, 3.08
    10. Peter Parker, 3.02
    11. Jessica Jones, 2.91
    12. Silver Surfer, 2.66
    13. Starlord, 2.57
    14. Jean Grey, 2.47
    15. Ghost Rider, 2.29
    16. Green Goblin, 2.28
    17. Spiderman (Back In Black), 2.26
    18. Iron Man, 2.25
    19. Black Widow, 2.19
    20. Archangel, 2.13
    21. Steve Rogers, 2.01
    22. Doc Oc, 1.45
    23. The Hulk, 1.40

PvP
    1. Gambit, 4.88
    2. Thor, 4.48
    3. Thanos, 4.06
    4. Black Bolt, 4.00
    5. Daredevil, 3.84
    6. Black Panther, 3.28
    7. Dr Strange, 3.18
    8. Hawkeye, 3.05
    9. Peter Parker, 2.98
    10. Jessica Jones, 2.75
    11. Silver Surfer, 2.33
    12. Jean Grey, 2.18
    13. OML, 2.17
    14. Green Goblin, 2.05
    15. Ghost Rider, 2.00
    16. Spiderman (Back In Black), 1.96
    17. Archangel, 1.96
    18. Black Widow, 1.95
    19. Iron Man, 1.94
    20. Starlord, 1.90
    21. Steve Rogers, 1.74
    22. The Hulk, 1.21
    23. Doc Oc, 1.19

Overall
    1. Gambit, 4.74
    2. Thor, 4.51
    3. Thanos, 4.305
    4. Black Bolt, 4.06
    5. Daredevil, 3.97
    6. Dr Strange, 3.715
    7. Black Panther, 3.18
    8. Hawkeye, 3.11
    9. Peter Parker, 3.00
    10. Jessica Jones, 2.83
    11. OML, 2.675
    12. Silver Surfer, 2.495
    13. Jean Grey, 2.325
    14. Starlord, 2.235
    15. Green Goblin, 2.165
    16. Ghost Rider, 2.145
    17. Spiderman (Back In Black), 2.11
    18. Iron Man, 2.095
    19. Black Widow, 2.07
    20. Archangel, 2.045
    21. Steve Rogers, 1.875
    22. Doc Oc, 1.32
    23. The Hulk, 1.305

Based on the above lists there are some pretty obvious break points to lump characters into A-list and B-list for PvE, PvP and Overall. There can be some minor disagreements about where to draw lines but this affects only the bottom character in each list only, especially the B-list so it’s not a huge issue in overall rankings. 

PvE A-list

• Gambit
    • Thanos
    • Thor
    • Dr Strange
    • Black Bolt
    • Daredevil
    PvE B-list
    • OML
    • Hawkeye
    • Black Panther
    • Peter Parker
    • Jessica Jones

PvP A-list

• Gambit
    • Thor
    • Thanos
    • Black Bolt
    • Daredevil

PvP B-list

• Black Panther
    • Dr Strange
    • Hawkeye
    • Peter Parker
    • Jessica Jones

Overall A-list

• Gambit
    • Thor
    • Thanos
    • Black Bolt
    • Daredevil
    • Dr Strange

Overall B-list

• Black Panther
    • Hawkeye
    • Peter Parker
    • Jessica Jones
    • OML

• RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Pve tier for every node but the 5e is

1. Thanos
      2. The field (aka Thanos fodder)

Pve tier for the 5e is

1a. Thormerica (with Thor at less than 50% health)
     1b. Gamerica
     2. The field

Edit: corrected for half Thor
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Pve tier for every node but the 5e is

1. Thanos
      2. The field (aka Thanos fodder)

Pve tier for the 5e is

1a. Thormerica (with Thor at less than 50% health)
     1b. Gamerica
     2. The field

Edit: corrected for half Thor
    Pre Okoye
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Curious to see what folks think post Gam-nerf and including Okoye, iCap, and Wasp.

Personally, I'm thinking 1/2Thor will be #1 on both sides, followed by Okoye/JJ #2 on PvP, and Thanos #2 on PvE.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye is awesome, Gambit or no Gambit. No two ways about it.

Steve is decent. His Red really packs a punch, and his Purple is good for blocking the enemy. However, most players would prefer an self-accelerator (which is what Gambit is, albeit now slightly less reliably) to an enemy blocker. Hence I think Gambit will still be more popular over Steve. Steve’s Red, however, can stand on its own independent of teammates, while Gambit’s Red is now more dependent on being fuelled by teammates who can create Charged tiles.

Wasp is bad, bad, bad. At least Doctopus can stun, and Hulkform can do decent AoE damage. Wasp steals AP, turns an ally invisible, deals damage akin to a mosquito bite, and her Swarm deals pathetic damage for the cost and setup. Nope.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I intend to put up a poll after Gambit nerf is live. that will give people some time to assess him. 
  • jackstar0
    I humbly suggest a new thread (with a link to this one) for the next iteration of this data, just for clarity.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Gambit still has a lot of utility in PVE, and his CD’s hit pretty hard now, but he no longer packs the same punch in PVP. The new survey will definitely reflect that.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unfortunately, due to RL issues i won't have time to do the poll and update the thread. 

Is there anyone who like to maintain a list for 5* characters?
  • jackstar0
    Also don't have the time to take up this responsibility, but I just wanted to chime in now that I have champed Kitty, She's GREAT!

Definitely not top-tier and all occasions, but with 4*Grocket, Kitty has Claws!

I've swapped to those two for my PvE and even un-boosted, she's still tearing through goons with ease.

Don't sleep on her, kids!
  • Al_Paca
    Al_Paca Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    yeah my champed Kitty plus 4*Grocket are my go-to PvE duo.  supports that fortify strike tiles help too!
  • jackstar0
    I threw the Quinjet on Kitty so she can create strikes from time to time.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    I would love an update on this list to see where the newer releases en up. Great work anyhow.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been using kitty/rocket with medusa for the extra hit at the end of turn, and vibranium ore on kitty for extra protects, just to help out out health packs, especially since medusa is my 3rd.