Steam version says video card can't run MPQ after update [Solved]

justsing
justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
I previously had the Steam version of MPQ installed on my old Windows 7 machine, and it ran fine, at least of a few months ago. Today after updating to the most recent version, I get this error message: "Sorry, but your video card can't run Marvel Puzzle Quest. (The game requires support for Pixel Shader 2.0)"

Has anyone else gotten this issue? Did the computer requirements for MPQ change in one of the more recent updates?

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi justsing, I'd recommend contacting Customer Support and sending them your video card and system specs. They should then be able to verify if everything should be running properly for you. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    It could also be a driver or directx issue. What are your system specs, driver version, and so on?
  • justsing
    I’m using an old Thinkpad with Windows 7, Intel i5-520m with Intel HD graphics, 8 GB RAM, and DirectX 11. I’m going to check with CS and see what’s up. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Pixel Shader 2.0 is part of directx which is part of windows. Every game needs specific directx files to work properly which is why most games have a directx download upon installation. It seems like these files may be missing or corrupted. You may want to verify the game files in steam and there is a directx installer in the game's files (CS can point you in that direction) for you to re-install.

The other thing that jumped out is after checking the specs of your cpu/gpu, the i5-520m only supports up to directx 10. You said the game was running on this machine before though, so this isn't likely the problem unless they changed system requirements (your original question). I had this game running on a XP machine in the beginning so I know it was possible, just don't know if it still is.

Just some ideas, let me know if CS can't fix it and I'll see what I can do
  • justsing
    Pixel Shader 2.0 is part of directx which is part of windows. Every game needs specific directx files to work properly which is why most games have a directx download upon installation. It seems like these files may be missing or corrupted. You may want to verify the game files in steam and there is a directx installer in the game's files (CS can point you in that direction) for you to re-install.

The other thing that jumped out is after checking the specs of your cpu/gpu, the i5-520m only supports up to directx 10. You said the game was running on this machine before though, so this isn't likely the problem unless they changed system requirements (your original question). I had this game running on a XP machine in the beginning so I know it was possible, just don't know if it still is.

Just some ideas, let me know if CS can't fix it and I'll see what I can do
    Thanks so much for the tips! I’ll try and see if reinstalling DirectX helps!
  • Dartmaster01
    edited July 2018
    One more thing, you may want to try to run the game's exe. in compatibility mode for windows Vista and/or XP service pack 3. Make sure you have administrator rights for this or it won't work. Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out.
  • justsing
    One more thing, you may want to try to run the game's exe. in compatibility mode for windows Vista and/or XP service pack 3. Make sure you have administrator rights for this or it won't work. Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out.
    I tried both the DirectX reinstallation and running in compatibility mode, and neither worked unfortunately. 

CS said that the minimum requirements for graphics is Intel HD 3000, which I think is newer than the Intel HD graphics in my i5-520m (Sandy Bridge vs. Arrandale, I believe). So there's not much they can do to help. 

Thanks again for all your help!!
  • Dartmaster01
    Ah, to bad. I do remember them stopping support for some things along the way, I guess this was one of them. I hope you find another device to play on. Good luck
  • justsing
    Thanks! I'm just really glad it's only my secondary account. Luckily, I stuck with mobile for my primary. :D