4* DDQ: Battle of the Baldies: Finger Poke vs Uppercut!

Steel_Colt
Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
Even with a champed Kingpin, match damage falls flat against Luke's protect tile, so you'll have to rely on power damage only. 
I focused on yellow, and purple to feed yellow. Overwhelming Cage with countdown tiles and eventually even having enough strikes on the board to do some match damage did the trick. 
First try, no problem, token to the hoard.

Comments

• MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    3/5/5 lvl 275 Kingpin 

I had a pretty neutral board with lots of greens, blues and red so this match took a LOOOOONG time but knocked it out first try. I tried to match yellow and black used purple to feed yellow. Like you Steel, once I finally got some goons out there and a few resolved, the match swung in my favor. On the last turn, Cage matched his own shield tile away allowing one of my pistol goons to put him down.

Token was 4* Sam that went into the saved cover pile.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Level 273 3/5/5 Kingpin, took 2 firings of Maggia Pawns and Luke went down.

Token was a Punisher Blue which I've been waiting for for like 2 years.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kingpin is so bad now.
    Mine is 370 and it still took two pokes to kill Cage.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    2nd try with a 1/1/5 Kingpin. First attempt went sideways fast as Cage cascaded in to critical tiles 4 times in the first two moves. Boosted yellow and black to get the ball rolling and pretty much smoked him in round 2. Had 5400 health left when I poked him .
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    First turn win. My 5/3/5 lvl 274 Kingpin totally locked down yellow and black matches, but he was just not in good with RNGesus. FOUR firings of Maggia Pawns before enough of them survived matching to finally take Cage down.

Token was another cover for XFW. Disappointing all around.
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    First try for laughs failed miserably with my 5/2/5 lv70 Kingpin. 
    Leveled up to 150, +1 yellow and +60% damage boost did the trick. Prioritized yellow and match damage downed Luke thanks to Maggia strike tiles.

Token to the hoard, will decide whether or not to pull for LumberCap based on next 5* announcement.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know how anyone can win this with an under-covered and/or under-leveled Kingpin. He is so awful. My Kingpin is fully covered but only level 150 because I refuse to waste ISO on him when I have so many other priorities.

I can't even make a dent against Cage before he destroys me. The lowest I've gotten his health in five tries is 10k and I boosted through the moon with match damage and +yellow AP
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    It just shows you how fickle this game can be. I agree with every single word about how terrible Kingpin is in this thread and yet my 4/3/5 lvl 147 just waltzed through that, I didn't even use boosts. When you have never ending yellow cascades so you can send the goons out by turn 2, you know it is your day. Lucky, lucky.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Won on my second try with my 1/1/5 level 156 Kingpin. 2 yellow AP, 2 all color AP and 100% match damage was very helpful. Together with a lucky board did the trick. Even had more than 3.000 health left after Kingpin's double yellow power killed of Luke. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Long, dull match for my 188 4/5/3 Kingpin. It was a green, blue, and purple board, so I hit Luke for one damage every turn, while he popped me for a paltry amount. I managed to get enough yellow from purple to cast yellow, and to my surprise, all four countdowns resolved. About seven hours later I got enough purple to boost yellow again, and AGAIN I had all four countdowns resolve. Finally I was up and over that protect tile of his with my strikes, so I wore him down with match damage. The fight took me over 15 minutes! Poor Kingpin - I don't know if he's trash tier after his rework, but he's certainly near the bottom.

My reward was a champ level for Rocket & Groot. That was cool, as it brings him to my "front page" on the roster select screen. That might save a few seconds a day.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Got this one first go with my 0/5/5 Kingpin (level 168), just chased purple and yellow (and denied black when I could) - reward was a usable Drax black
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    130 5/3/4 KP.  Had to boost him after failing twice.  Chased yellow and black, and barely won. 

Kate Bishop saved cover.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    7th try finally did the trick. Finally got a board where Cage wasn't falling into black and pounding my Kingpin to hamburger.

Token to the hoard, and a painful reminder of how bad Kingpin is.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got ridiculously lucky and managed it first try with my 5/1/5 Lvl 127 Kingpin. The board was just awash with purple, and I managed to scoop up a fair chunk of the yellow. Very little black. I never used the finger poke, and Cage only managed one Jab. Every time he got a significant amount of yellow, I had the purple to clear it out. A single Uppercut or Jab, Jab, Cross would have turned it around, but he never got the AP.

Token was a saved blue for my 2/5/2 Iceman.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    No can do, Kingpin only level 100. Also Wolvie X-Force level 130. Sucks.