Team Suggestions For My Roster

DanielleL
DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
Everyone has ideas for characters combinations which is nice but they don't always work because of not having one/multiple character(s) and/or their level/coverage is too low. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for character combos I can use with where my roster is at now (or wherever it's at when you reply to this). I figured it's nice to have a bit of variety so I don't have to rely on just one/two teams.

My latest two teams have been GSBW/IM40/Psylocke and Beast/3*Deadpool/Blade. Before then I used Beast/She-Hulk/Falcon.

I still occasionally use my old 2* team of BW/Thor/Bullseye when fighting HAMMER and Maggia since if I can keep get blue BW makes it so their countdowns never go off. Any other suggestions for teams going against those and/or other goons/bots/whatevers (what is the forum preferred word for those characters?) are good.

And suggestions for characters that work well with the featured characters in lightning rounds would be good. Sometimes it'd be nice to fight more than just the weak ones at the beginning but I never know who to use.

Even two characters that work together without really needing a third would be great to cover the PVPs and PVE essential nodes where I have the character but they're really weak.

Also, Storm is my favorite superhero so any team that would allow me to use any version of her again (I miss the 2* Storm/Magneto combo) would be awesome. :)

My roster's here: https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/DanielleL/

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    One suggestion, if you haven't already, is to set IM40 as your lone 3-star bonus hero. He's the linchpin of the tier, as I'm sure you've already discovered, with his AP generation. After that you need to get Dr. Strange covered - once you've champed him you'll hesitate to fight a goon battle without him.

If you want a good partner for 3-star Storm, look no further than Iron Fist. He can keep her swimming in black with his purple ability. Her black attack tile generation is nasty and can provide all the offense you need and gets coupled with Iron Fist's big passive attack tile. A good third is Falcon - he'll buff her attack tiles with his yellow passive. Use Iron Fist's green over Storm's to generate strike tiles, which will boost all of those attack tiles individually. Blade is another option as a third since you won't be needing any red and can leave his strike tiles on the board. You could also bring Scarlet Witch to speed up the purple-to-black conversion between Fist and Storm..

You need to get your Kamala involved and once you do you'll forget GSBW ever existed. Put her with IM40 and Captain America. Use Iron Man to fuel Cap's shield attacks and Kamala's big green AoE. IM40 and Cap also work very well with Bullseye - that was my go-to team against goon waves in PvE for a long time. In fact, IM40/Cap work amazing with any green user (Beast, She-Hulk, Rocket & Groot, Thor, Ares, Patch...)

Re-spec your Punisher to carry 5 in red. Against a big opponent (boss events, Juggernaut, solo Hulk node in his event) he can end things quickly with his red. Daken is a great partner because his cheap blue will benefit from the strike tiles Pun will generate with green. Don't sleep on Daken's blue power - with a few strikes on the board he can do massive amounts of damage and he fits into a lot of teams. Try adding Psylocke as a third - strike and attack tiles will be everywhere. Storm is another option as a third.

Deadpool and Scarlet Witch are a natural team. Switch generates purple and then Deadpool uses it to drop a few beluga whales. Game over.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iron Fist / Magneto / Luke Cage was a nice easy combo that always worked for me; they were my DDQ finishers for the longest time. Magnetized Projectiles is a surprisingly powerful nuke, and Iron Fist -> Jab, Jab, Cross is a classic combo with some of the best damage in the tier.

Daken/Blade/Thor should also work reasonably well, especially since your Daken is the highest level and should tank pretty well.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    This may not help your roster now, but the most effective 3* Storm team I've used is Storm (set to 5/5/3), 3* Hulk (set to 5/3/5) and Kamala Khan (set to 5/5/3).  The goal is to use Hulk's black and KK's purple to help generate green, with Storms yellow/green to keep the whole process going (it's not quite a "winfinite" team, but it can get really close with a little luck), while repeatedly healing via KK's yellow.  Unfortunately for you, Hulk needs to be tanking green for this to work best, so for the time being this would only work for you when he's boosted and the others are not.  With where you're currently at, you sub 3* Black Widow for KK with the same basic principle.  Not quite as good, but close... 

That being said, I always preferred 1*/3* Storm at 5/5/3 for maximum board shake/AP generation, so if you prefer to use her black at 5, the previous suggestion of her and Iron Fist is objectively better for you.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Looking at your roster, I'd suggest that you have far too many 1*s on roster. You only "need" one of them, and there are at least 3 that will do the job alone(juggernaut, Iron Man, or Spider-Man can easily solo the ddq node). I have a fully covered but only level 40 1* spider-man that I use to solo DDQ. I would also encourage you to spend all your iso on one character at a time to start champing them. Ideally you'd start with characters that get fed by your 2* champs so you can begin earning "compound interest" as it were, but you could just champ them in whatever order and start to see a difference right away.

That aside, here are some interesting 3* teams you could try fielding (this thread is a cool window into various play styles I find, kind of fun to see the advice you're getting):

Wolverine (Patch)/Falcon/Hawkeye (Hawkguy) - fire off patch's green, chase the purple strikes for Hawkeye. hawkeye generates red/blue AP in the background whenever you match away any enemy special. You can then choose to keep some of that AP in the bank so Falcon eats enemy specials, or just fire it off from Hawkeye. Falcon is mostly here to buff tiles and eat enemy specials, but you can do AoE on purple and drop defense tiles in a pinch. This team has 2 characters with great true heals, so it has a high survivability. Hawkeye and Patch are both fed by 2* characters, and are going to grow faster than other non-bonused characters.

Patch/Dr Octopus/Hawkeye -> again, use patch's green to create enemy strikes. Match them away, and Octopus will split them into friend attacks while Hawkeye gathers AP in the background. Keep Hawkeye doing his nonsense, or use Octopus to shuffle the board and destroy any extraneous tiles you have around. 

Iron Fist/Luke Cage go really well together, and you can insert a number of third characters to that team depending on how you like to run them. I like to use SWitch as a battery for this team set to 3/5/5: Get purple for Fist, create tons of black. Keep using Fist's purple once it changes to doing damage until you run out, then burn through all that black you have stored up with Cage. It doesn't take too long to have 24+ black AP in the bank with this team. Use SWitch's green situationally to accrue a few more AP in some color you want if you're just short of firing a power, or use it with Fist to make strikes

Same team, but you can try swapping out SWitch for Mystique to get an active blue -> Mystique's blue creates black and purple, which is not as effective as using SWitch to create all purple, but helps the team just the same.

Same team, but replace Mystique with Falcon. he buffs everybody's shields on yellow, uses the blue to eat enemy specials, and you can safely burn all that yellow with Cage's uppercut. 

Blade/Falcon are an excellent duo. Put them with any third that creates strike tiles. Daken or Patch probably. Blade's attack tiles do pretty big damage for the tier once enough strikes are on the board (as much as 1k each if 6 friendly strikes are in play), and his black does damage with minor ongoing AP denial until the repeater gets matched away. Daken gives you an active blue, but Blade's specials happen on colors that Patch will use to create opponent specials; you'll need to manage that when you fire off your powers so it works to your advantage rather than your detriment (meaning if all the reds on the board are full of friendly strikes, patch can't put down enemy ones, or if all the purples are full of enemy strikes, Blade can't create attacks so use the powers in the right order).
  • DanielleL
    Dormammu said:
    One suggestion, if you haven't already, is to set IM40 as your lone 3-star bonus hero. He's the linchpin of the tier, as I'm sure you've already discovered, with his AP generation. After that you need to get Dr. Strange covered - once you've champed him you'll hesitate to fight a goon battle without him.

If you want a good partner for 3-star Storm, look no further than Iron Fist. He can keep her swimming in black with his purple ability. Her black attack tile generation is nasty and can provide all the offense you need and gets coupled with Iron Fist's big passive attack tile. A good third is Falcon - he'll buff her attack tiles with his yellow passive. Use Iron Fist's green over Storm's to generate strike tiles, which will boost all of those attack tiles individually. Blade is another option as a third since you won't be needing any red and can leave his strike tiles on the board. You could also bring Scarlet Witch to speed up the purple-to-black conversion between Fist and Storm..

You need to get your Kamala involved and once you do you'll forget GSBW ever existed. Put her with IM40 and Captain America. Use Iron Man to fuel Cap's shield attacks and Kamala's big green AoE. IM40 and Cap also work very well with Bullseye - that was my go-to team against goon waves in PvE for a long time. In fact, IM40/Cap work amazing with any green user (Beast, She-Hulk, Rocket & Groot, Thor, Ares, Patch...)

Re-spec your Punisher to carry 5 in red. Against a big opponent (boss events, Juggernaut, solo Hulk node in his event) he can end things quickly with his red. Daken is a great partner because his cheap blue will benefit from the strike tiles Pun will generate with green. Don't sleep on Daken's blue power - with a few strikes on the board he can do massive amounts of damage and he fits into a lot of teams. Try adding Psylocke as a third - strike and attack tiles will be everywhere. Storm is another option as a third.

Deadpool and Scarlet Witch are a natural team. Switch generates purple and then Deadpool uses it to drop a few beluga whales. Game over.
    I tried the Storm/Iron Fist/Falcon one and it's fun. I'll try Blade sometime but SW needs some levelling first.

I'm definitely looking forward to KK being higher level. I'll try that team when she is.

I've been thinking about making a thread just for respec recommendations. Sometimes because I don't know what the best one is but also because I just forget to change them when I champ them. In this case it's the latter, I've used his red a lot. He's been changed. I've used Daken a lot. I enjoyed the Daken and Wolverine combo when I was still a 2* player and still use it for DDQ and the low level PVE nodes. Replaced 2* Daken with 3* Daken once he got stronger, of course. So I'm very familiar with his blue. I'll definitely have to try these two teams.

Again, need to level SW but that makes sense. Just hopefully I'll be more lucky with her purple generation because so far enemies get crits from it and I don't even get a match (or it get matched away before it goes off), lol.
  • DanielleL
    Iron Fist / Magneto / Luke Cage was a nice easy combo that always worked for me; they were my DDQ finishers for the longest time. Magnetized Projectiles is a surprisingly powerful nuke, and Iron Fist -> Jab, Jab, Cross is a classic combo with some of the best damage in the tier.

Daken/Blade/Thor should also work reasonably well, especially since your Daken is the highest level and should tank pretty well.
    Luke Cage and Magneto need some levelling first but I'll try this out sometime. I've been waiting to take advantage of the Iron Fist/Luke Cage combo anyway. I'll have to try Daken/Blade/Thor. I liked Thor when I was in 2* land and have been wanting to use his 3* also but the only team I could think of was my old 2* one (Thor/BW/Bullseye). So it's good to see a 3* team for him.
  • DanielleL
    ZootSax said:
    This may not help your roster now, but the most effective 3* Storm team I've used is Storm (set to 5/5/3), 3* Hulk (set to 5/3/5) and Kamala Khan (set to 5/5/3).  The goal is to use Hulk's black and KK's purple to help generate green, with Storms yellow/green to keep the whole process going (it's not quite a "winfinite" team, but it can get really close with a little luck), while repeatedly healing via KK's yellow.  Unfortunately for you, Hulk needs to be tanking green for this to work best, so for the time being this would only work for you when he's boosted and the others are not.  With where you're currently at, you sub 3* Black Widow for KK with the same basic principle.  Not quite as good, but close... 

That being said, I always preferred 1*/3* Storm at 5/5/3 for maximum board shake/AP generation, so if you prefer to use her black at 5, the previous suggestion of her and Iron Fist is objectively better for you.  
    I do enjoy her black but I like think her board shake/AP generation is fun and useful too. I'll try this once the others are higher leveled.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Thor is someone I often sort of forget about, but any time I do think to put him in a team, I'm very happy with his performance. He's hard to give specific advice for because he doesn't really do anything unique, but he's just all around solid on health and damage dealing. Plus he's self-accelerating, so he's pretty much just plug and play in any team that needs at least two of his colours.

Also, if you end up with the three of them at usable levels at the same time when you're doing the 2* nodes in DDQ, try Thor/Magneto/Storm. They were always my favourite 2* team.
  • DanielleL
    Looking at your roster, I'd suggest that you have far too many 1*s on roster. You only "need" one of them, and there are at least 3 that will do the job alone(juggernaut, Iron Man, or Spider-Man can easily solo the ddq node). I have a fully covered but only level 40 1* spider-man that I use to solo DDQ. I would also encourage you to spend all your iso on one character at a time to start champing them. Ideally you'd start with characters that get fed by your 2* champs so you can begin earning "compound interest" as it were, but you could just champ them in whatever order and start to see a difference right away.

That aside, here are some interesting 3* teams you could try fielding (this thread is a cool window into various play styles I find, kind of fun to see the advice you're getting):

Wolverine (Patch)/Falcon/Hawkeye (Hawkguy) - fire off patch's green, chase the purple strikes for Hawkeye. hawkeye generates red/blue AP in the background whenever you match away any enemy special. You can then choose to keep some of that AP in the bank so Falcon eats enemy specials, or just fire it off from Hawkeye. Falcon is mostly here to buff tiles and eat enemy specials, but you can do AoE on purple and drop defense tiles in a pinch. This team has 2 characters with great true heals, so it has a high survivability. Hawkeye and Patch are both fed by 2* characters, and are going to grow faster than other non-bonused characters.

Patch/Dr Octopus/Hawkeye -> again, use patch's green to create enemy strikes. Match them away, and Octopus will split them into friend attacks while Hawkeye gathers AP in the background. Keep Hawkeye doing his nonsense, or use Octopus to shuffle the board and destroy any extraneous tiles you have around. 

Iron Fist/Luke Cage go really well together, and you can insert a number of third characters to that team depending on how you like to run them. I like to use SWitch as a battery for this team set to 3/5/5: Get purple for Fist, create tons of black. Keep using Fist's purple once it changes to doing damage until you run out, then burn through all that black you have stored up with Cage. It doesn't take too long to have 24+ black AP in the bank with this team. Use SWitch's green situationally to accrue a few more AP in some color you want if you're just short of firing a power, or use it with Fist to make strikes

Same team, but you can try swapping out SWitch for Mystique to get an active blue -> Mystique's blue creates black and purple, which is not as effective as using SWitch to create all purple, but helps the team just the same.

Same team, but replace Mystique with Falcon. he buffs everybody's shields on yellow, uses the blue to eat enemy specials, and you can safely burn all that yellow with Cage's uppercut. 

Blade/Falcon are an excellent duo. Put them with any third that creates strike tiles. Daken or Patch probably. Blade's attack tiles do pretty big damage for the tier once enough strikes are on the board (as much as 1k each if 6 friendly strikes are in play), and his black does damage with minor ongoing AP denial until the repeater gets matched away. Daken gives you an active blue, but Blade's specials happen on colors that Patch will use to create opponent specials; you'll need to manage that when you fire off your powers so it works to your advantage rather than your detriment (meaning if all the reds on the board are full of friendly strikes, patch can't put down enemy ones, or if all the purples are full of enemy strikes, Blade can't create attacks so use the powers in the right order).
    I eventually want to have all character fully covered. That includes 1*s. I have plenty of roster space for now so if I have to I might get rid of them if necessary but for now there's no need. I also am okay on ISO for now so I've been using it whenever a character can be leveled/champed.

The Patch/Hawkeye combo sounds interesting and since both Falcon and Doc Ock are now champed I can try both teams.

SW and Luke Cage need to be leveled more but I could try this after. May try the Falcon version if it works with a weak Luke Cage.

I actually haven't really used Patch precisely because he makes enemy strike tiles (I dislike when I give special tiles to the enemy and/or take my own characters' health/AP) so using Blade to block that is a good idea. I'll probably try the Daken team first since he's champed and Patch isn't but Patch is a decent level so I could use him or at least not wait long.
  • DanielleL
    3* Thor is someone I often sort of forget about, but any time I do think to put him in a team, I'm very happy with his performance. He's hard to give specific advice for because he doesn't really do anything unique, but he's just all around solid on health and damage dealing. Plus he's self-accelerating, so he's pretty much just plug and play in any team that needs at least two of his colours.

Also, if you end up with the three of them at usable levels at the same time when you're doing the 2* nodes in DDQ, try Thor/Magneto/Storm. They were always my favourite 2* team.
    Yeah, 3* Thor is someone I don't see on too many teams but I enjoyed 2* Thor and 3* is just a stronger version so I sometimes wish to use him. A couple of times I used him with my old 2* teams if the enemies are weak enough. Storm/Magneto with Thor or Ares was one of my often used 2* teams so I do like to use them sometimes. I swear Magneto's purple used to make more blue than it does now though.
  • TPF Alexis
    Magneto's purple definitely started feeling less impressive once I got access to 3* BW's purple ;)
  • DanielleL
    Magneto's purple definitely started feeling less impressive once I got access to 3* BW's purple ;)
    Oh yeah, much easier to collect purple then get green for her that way than to just try to get green. I'll still try to get green if possible but I focus on her purple first. Plus I like to do damage and/or extra AP collecting by making crits and/or four/five in a rows with the greens. I always try to make at least two crits with them if possible. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    My move with her was always to see if I could connect ALL the green on the board into a single match
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    DanielleL said:

I've been thinking about making a thread just for respec recommendations. Sometimes because I don't know what the best one is but also because I just forget to change them when I champ them. 
    Since you're using MPQ Gamependium, if you click on "characters" it'll show you the top build for each character.  If you click on the individual character link, it'll show you how popular each build is.  

It'll give you a good sense of how ppl have the characters covered, but it doesn't necessarily show you how certain alternate builds are good if you're running certain teams, but it's a good place to start.  

**oh, one more thing, if you see on old threads here, or gamependium's builds, just keep in mind that if a character was reworked that the favorite builds might not apply anymore **
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL said:

I've been thinking about making a thread just for respec recommendations. Sometimes because I don't know what the best one is but also because I just forget to change them when I champ them. 
    Since you're using MPQ Gamependium, if you click on "characters" it'll show you the top build for each character.  If you click on the individual character link, it'll show you how popular each build is.  

It'll give you a good sense of how ppl have the characters covered, but it doesn't necessarily show you how certain alternate builds are good if you're running certain teams, but it's a good place to start.  

**oh, one more thing, if you see on old threads here, or gamependium's builds, just keep in mind that if a character was reworked that the favorite builds might not apply anymore **
    I didn't know that about gamependium, thanks.

Yeah, I knew that last part. The MPQ wiki has a poll for best build on each character's page but they're all old so I figured they may not be accurate anymore. A lot of old threads here definitely don't apply anymore. I found so many that are out of date when googling MPQ info.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
      I've got two sleeper picks for you.  Don't count out Rocket and Groot.  I used them all the time because it's fairly easy to keep them alive almost indefinitely with a yellow match once they're down below 25% health, their green can cause some good board shake up and pretty decent damage, and they put out pretty strong strike tiles with their blue.  If you used IM40, R&G and Patch you have two true healers that should tank every color to protect IM40 from damage; at least at the level IM40 is now.

Bullseye, I know is not too popular, but he can be really handy in wave nodes.  I used him all the time in DDQ, the Big Enchilada, at 3/5/5 with IM40.  Let him take down an enemy with his green and watch the board fill up with friendly strike tiles.  If you keep him in front to take out more enemies, it's not uncommon for you to not be able to make a match without taking out a strike tile, because he'll litter the board with them.
  • TPF Alexis
    I definitely second 3* R&G. They saved me so many health packs over my time in 3* land. I've had them tank more than twice their starting health over the course of a single match and still come out standing tall.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    jtsings said:
      I've got two sleeper picks for you.  Don't count out Rocket and Groot.  I used them all the time because it's fairly easy to keep them alive almost indefinitely with a yellow match once they're down below 25% health, their green can cause some good board shake up and pretty decent damage, and they put out pretty strong strike tiles with their blue.  If you used IM40, R&G and Patch you have two true healers that should tank every color to protect IM40 from damage; at least at the level IM40 is now.

Bullseye, I know is not too popular, but he can be really handy in wave nodes.  I used him all the time in DDQ, the Big Enchilada, at 3/5/5 with IM40.  Let him take down an enemy with his green and watch the board fill up with friendly strike tiles.  If you keep him in front to take out more enemies, it's not uncommon for you to not be able to make a match without taking out a strike tile, because he'll litter the board with them.
    My current Big Enchilada team also uses  3* Bullseye.
    I run with 3* Bullseye, 3* Blade and 4* Wasp. You have all of them rostered and covers on Wasp in the right color (Yellow).
    Avoid Red (for Blade's sake) since nobody needs it anyway.
    Strike tiles everywhere. Wait... now they're shields. Wait... now they're strikes again.
    Drop Blade's pink fists in there somewhere and you're usually KO-ing two opponents with one simple 3-match. If that 3-match happens to be one of Bullseye's colors (which you wouldn't dare do it any other way, would you ;-) ), now you have even MORE strikes.

Enjoy!

Nico also works well, in place of Wasp, but I didn't see her currently on your roster.