Civil War Strategy

TPF Alexis
TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
In the past, I've seen a bunch of people say that it's best to hit the side nodes on one half while doing the boss fights on the other, but I've never seen anything on why that ends up being better than just focusing on one side. What's the advantage there? Is it something to do with the unlock timers, or the extra unlock when you clear a round, or what? Thanks!

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    It's only an advantage for alliances that are trying to make it at least most of the way through both sides. If it works out right, most players will finish one side at around the same time as the alliance reaches progression on that side, then everyone switches over to hit the other side hard.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Basically by hitting side nodes on one side, you can potentially pull together enough points to clear a round or two just with those side-node points giving you a better chance to manage the higher rounds once you've completed the other side via only boss nodes.

You really need your whole alliance working together at this strategy to reap the fullest rewards.
  • TPF Alexis
    Cool, that makes sense. My Alliance wants to try to clear both sides at least to Round 7 this time, so it's good to know. Thanks!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good luck @TPF Alexis! Let us know how it goes. 

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good luck @TPF Alexis, ****_Squids2 finished both sides completely using this strategy last run of Civil War, and expect to again this run.
  • tiger92882
    tiger92882 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    The advantage is in boss node points. You want every boss node hit to be worth the most points possible. By clearing the nodes on one side you slowly work the boss to level 4 or 5 without using up any precious boss hits on a level 1 boss. Retreating on the wave nodes after clearing the 1st wave allows you to double dip those points as well.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    My alliance is trying this strategy as well. It was tough convincing them to trust it but it’s already pushed us into round 3 on iron man’s side. We had one player do the opposite by hitting cap for the boss fight so we cleared it a little earlier than expected. I appreciate all that shared how to be successful. 
  • TPF Alexis
    Once we started doing it, the benefits became obvious pretty quickly. I know we got the first three rounds of Team Iron Man cleared just from side nodes, and I think maybe the fourth as well. We're definitely going to be able to clear round 7 on both sides, and might be able to clear both completely. Thanks for the advice, all!
  • Bubba3210
    @TPF Alexis, we went for round eight on cap’s side and have 102 boss fights left. All subs are done on the iron man side. We are about 3/4 done in round 4 on iron man’s side and told our weaker players to go full bore there. I don’t know if that was wise to keep going on eight but we had a couple that wanted to chase it.  Three fury covers would have been better for the alliance versus one legendary.

Mind if we compare notes at the end? See how far we get going for eight versus you flipping at seven?
  • TPF Alexis
    The interesting point for me is going to be once we clear round 7 on both sides. I'm not sure if we're going to focus on one for round 8 or what. I actually kind of hope we just go free form after that, because I'd like to hit full personal progression on both.
  • Bubba3210
    We cleared all eight on Team Cap and just entered round seven on Team Iron Man. Next time we will stop once we clear round seven and flip to the other side. The strongest got the legendary and the entire alliance would have benefited from three Fury covers. Strong players would have earned two legendary covers plus Black Panther. Most will not reach him. 
  • TPF Alexis
    We've cleared round 8 on Team Cap, but because I slept through a whole round of clears, I need to do two more boss fights over there to hit personal progression on that side. We're about halfway through round 8 on Team IM, but I think some of our weaker players are getting scaled out, so we might not clear that all the way. I do have full personal progression over on that side, tho. Thanks for the tips, y'all! Even if we stopped here, this would be the most successful run of Civil War I've been in.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    We had a couple people unable to participate this weekend, but using this strategy with the people who could play all the way, we managed to hit 7&7 and a big chunk of 8 was done on the Team IM side, but it was just a matter of time and rosters.

I'm very happy about what we accomplished though. We're a casual group and only ask people to play and these alliance events bring out the drive in a bunch of us and it's fun really going at it.
  • TPF Alexis
    Final score: Full clearance on Team Cap, halfway through round 8 on Team Iron Man, full personal progression on both sides for me. Feels pretty great. Thanks again for explaining the strategy on that!
  • Bubba3210
    We cleared round eight on Team Cap side and nearly cleared round seven. We had players stop or we would have reached it. We only had two players reach max progression on both sides. I did not reach Black Panther so my goals were not hit. I had over 1.9 million points on the Team Cap side though.

Definitely going to have the alliance switch sides after clearing round seven next time. Lessons learned.