Why the divide in Wakanda?

Dartmaster01
Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
edited July 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Okoye is team Cap and Black Panther team Iron Man? I never new Wakanda was so undecided about Civil War. Why would Okoye "The Warrior General" not follow her king into battle? Is she confused or a traitor? Please, come forward and help shine some light on this troubling development.

Comments

• Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    There might not be anything to it.  Sometimes I think the decision making process in terms of which characters are boosted together in different events looks like this: 

**Removed inappropriate content - Ducky
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, I agree. Kinda what I was trying to point out and have a little fun with their unintentional jab to the mcu storyline at the same time.
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Contrived, but here's a possible workaround (plot-hole backfill):

- The only thing that makes people like Tony Stark "super" is that he owns tech which is more advanced/sophisticated/powerful than what the UN Security Council Permanent Member countries have access to.
    - The only thing that makes people like Bruce Banner "super" is that they were exposed to a substance the average person in a UN Security Council Permanent Member country does not have access to.
    - These are also true of Wakandan technology and the "Heart-Shaped Herb" cocktail.

T'Challa (who is presumed heir to the throne but is not actually the king yet) is out for revenge, believing Bucky to be his father's killer, and sides with Iron Man specifically so that he can hunt Steve.

Meanwhile, Okoye is loyal to Wakanda, and has a conservative, isolationist attitude affecting the perceived needs of her country.

Therefore Okoye would oppose the Sokovia Accords; if asked to sign, Wakanda would either be required to disclose that the vast majority of their citizens (and one hundred percent of those in military service) are "superheroes" compared to U.S. citizens, or intentionally violate an international treaty. Of course, they presumably got out of this in the end just because the UNSC completely overlooked Wakanda when they launched the registration program, but during the events of the Civil War itself, it seems reasonable that Okoye might not want to bank on this.

It bears repeating that T'Challa is not yet king during the events of the Civil War movie; he claims to be when he confronts Cap, but Okoye is technically not doing anything treasonous (or even seditious) by taking a side opposite that of her future king.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it were just 3* and 5* Panther, and 4* Panther was on Team Cap, I'd say it's just like how 3* Mags has the "Villains" affiliation, and 2* Mags has the "Heroes" Affiliation: They're the same character at two different points in time, and between those points, things changed. 4* Panther throws a spanner in the works there, tho.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Also MCU-related: weren't Okoye and T'Challa on opposite sides of the Wakanda civil war? She did choose to stay with the throne (i.e. Killmonger) and her duty to the Dora Milaje when Shuri et al fled.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Also MCU-related: weren't Okoye and T'Challa on opposite sides of the Wakanda civil war? She did choose to stay with the throne (i.e. Killmonger) and her duty to the Dora Milaje when Shuri et al fled.
    Yea but that was when she presumed T’Challa to be dead. When he popped back up on the battlefield, she immediately turned on Killmonger. So maybe her affliation should change based on whether T’Challa is downed or not?
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Better question:  Why are some Widows with Cap, and some with IM?  Is she that divided in her loyalties?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tensuun said:
    Contrived, but here's a possible workaround (plot-hole backfill):

- The only thing that makes people like Tony Stark "super" is that he owns tech which is more advanced/sophisticated/powerful than what the UN Security Council Permanent Member countries have access to.
    - The only thing that makes people like Bruce Banner "super" is that they were exposed to a substance the average person in a UN Security Council Permanent Member country does not have access to.
    - These are also true of Wakandan technology and the "Heart-Shaped Herb" cocktail.

T'Challa (who is presumed heir to the throne but is not actually the king yet) is out for revenge, believing Bucky to be his father's killer, and sides with Iron Man specifically so that he can hunt Steve.

Meanwhile, Okoye is loyal to Wakanda, and has a conservative, isolationist attitude affecting the perceived needs of her country.

Therefore Okoye would oppose the Sokovia Accords; if asked to sign, Wakanda would either be required to disclose that the vast majority of their citizens (and one hundred percent of those in military service) are "superheroes" compared to U.S. citizens, or intentionally violate an international treaty. Of course, they presumably got out of this in the end just because the UNSC completely overlooked Wakanda when they launched the registration program, but during the events of the Civil War itself, it seems reasonable that Okoye might not want to bank on this.

It bears repeating that T'Challa is not yet king during the events of the Civil War movie; he claims to be when he confronts Cap, but Okoye is technically not doing anything treasonous (or even seditious) by taking a side opposite that of her future king.
    The amount of thought you put into this makes me sad that the actual answer is most likely "devs didn't give a ****"
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    And why isn't Natasha Romanoff boosted at all? She *is* the MCU Black Widow, right? Wasn't she even released as a tie-in to the CW DVD/Blu-ray release?
  • Tensuun
    And why isn't Natasha Romanoff boosted at all? She *is* the MCU Black Widow, right? Wasn't she even released as a tie-in to the CW DVD/Blu-ray release?
    Five-star Widow was a tie-in from Winter Soldier, I believe. She hadn't chosen a side yet.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    Because either A) the devs put no thought into this or B ) whoever at Marvel/Disney that dictates these things put no thought into it or C) both. Also of note is that Shuri is neutral. Wakanda Forever? More like Together Sometimes.

I haven't bothered breaking down the Team IM vs Team Cap numbers since they were first announced, but when I did it was so heavily swayed towards Cap it was silly. Since then they've made more characters neutral, even those that were on a team then. Might do it again just to see how dumb it looks now.

EDIT: So I had some free time. Might have made some mistakes, but a quick count shows:
    Total:
    Team IM - 33
    Team Cap - 58

5*
    Team IM - 5
    Team Cap - 7

4*
    Team IM - 11
    Team Cap - 27

3*
    Team IM - 10
    Team Cap - 18

2*
    Team IM - 4
    Team Cap - 4

1*
    Team IM - 3
    Team Cap - 2

Some really questionable picks:
    1. Silver Surfer is team IM...for some reason.
    2. Black Widow is all over the place.
    3. Coulson despite not appearing in Civil War 1, 2 or the MCU version is Cap, which makes sense because he was a Cap fanboy. But highlights how dumb other choices are like....
    4. Blade, Devil Dinosaur, Elektra, Ghost Rider (Blaze), Howard the Duck, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Quicksilver, Wasp (Janet), and Wiccan are all team Cap even though they weren't either comic series (that I can recall) or the movies and have no reason to pick a side.
    5. People who are team Cap despite not siding with him or appearing in Civil War 1 or the movie, but were team IM in Civil War 2: Kamala Khan, Kate Bishop, Nova, Miles, and Lady Thor.
    6. People who are neutral despite siding with Iron Man in Civil War 2: Iceman, 3* Angel, OML, and Doctor Strange. And I want to say America was team Captain Marvel in CW2.
    7. 3* Hulk is team Iron Man, even though IM helped launch him into space before Civil War (something that left Hulk a little mad), but no other Banner Hulk is team IM.
    8. Storm is the only X-Men to not be neutral. Originally, more had a side. I recall Phoenix was team IM at one point.
    9. Drax, 3* Gamora, 3* Grocket, 3* and 4* Starlord are all team Cap, but 4* Gamora, 4* Grocket, and 5* Starlord aren't.
    10. Lady Thor is team Cap, but all other Thor's are neutral.
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Looks like they dropped the restrictions.  Last night and this morning I was able to use Carol 4* against IM, and other toons that had been filtered out no longer are.
  • Tensuun
    I feel like CW2 allegiances are fairly irrelevant for CW1 as it's a totally different argument (like gun control and reproductive rights). A lot of very similar-looking political allegiances came out of it, but Team Iron Man in CW2 was the "personal liberty and presumption of innocence", "idealism over ruthless pragmatism" party -- thus lots of Tony's team in CW2 would also be against Registration. I think that accounts for the Champions and Hawkeye landing on Team Cap.

Strange is weird because IIRC he was pro reg in CW1.