Moving Save Files (Steam); Please help! [Solved]

AlexR
AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
So, I'm on Steam and I've just switched harddrives and re-installed Win7. 

Did exactly that. However, that did not work. When i load the game, it made me go through the tutorial and gave me the newbie roster.

Do I need to delete some cache files somewhere or something for it to take? Please help, I'd like to help my alliance with the boss event tomorrow, so it's kinda urgent. :(

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Do you have Steam Sync enabled? (IIRC Steam tries to keep your saved games in its cloud and re-downloads them when you re-install, but more than half the time (anecdotally, from me) this doesn't seem to work. You might try disabling Steam Sync, then copying over your saved game again.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *Moved to Technical Help so maybe @Tombstone can lend a hand!*
  • AlexR
    Tensuun said:
    Do you have Steam Sync enabled? (IIRC Steam tries to keep your saved games in its cloud and re-downloads them when you re-install, but more than half the time (anecdotally, from me) this doesn't seem to work. You might try disabling Steam Sync, then copying over your saved game again.
    That appears to be disabled already! Thank you for the suggestion though!
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

I had a similar problem: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72991/steam-changing-machine-how-to-transfer-game-data-solved.

If you're relying on Steam Sync, I think that you are tinykittied.  I recently got a new PC, and could only get the new one to work properly after:

• Exiting Steam on the new machine
    • Setting up Steam Sync for MPQ on the old machine
    • Running MPQ on the old machine and letting it sync
    • Closing MPQ and Steam
    • Restarting Steam on the new machine
    • Running MPQ
    • Success!

Copying save files from the old machine did nothing.  Unless you can still run MPQ with your old roster it won't work.

Now, long time ago I had a 60 GB SSD that filled up, which I replaced with a 120 GB SSD (which also filled up, but that's another story).  I managed to attach the SSD as an external drive and copied a bunch of stuff over.  That may have included MPQ files, my memory is hazy on the timeline.

• justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    I have read that you can copy the folder where MPQ is installed, e.g. C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel Puzzle Quest to your new computer. It'll be in C:\Program Files if you have 32-bit Windows or C:\Program Files (x86) if you have 64-bit Windows. Maybe try that if nothing else works?
  • AlexR

I had a similar problem: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72991/steam-changing-machine-how-to-transfer-game-data-solved.

If you're relying on Steam Sync, I think that you are tinykittied.  I recently got a new PC, and could only get the new one to work properly after:

• Exiting Steam on the new machine
    • Setting up Steam Sync for MPQ on the old machine
    • Running MPQ on the old machine and letting it sync
    • Closing MPQ and Steam
    • Restarting Steam on the new machine
    • Running MPQ
    • Success!

Copying save files from the old machine did nothing.  Unless you can still run MPQ with your old roster it won't work.

Now, long time ago I had a 60 GB SSD that filled up, which I replaced with a 120 GB SSD (which also filled up, but that's another story).  I managed to attach the SSD as an external drive and copied a bunch of stuff over.  That may have included MPQ files, my memory is hazy on the timeline.

My old machine is intact and to my relief I can still access my old roster on my old machine. Thank you for posting! Having input from someone who had the exact same problem is really good!

However, tried it-- I activated the Cloud, logged into the game, posted something in chat, played 3 games. Closed the game and restarted Steam on the new machine. So far so good, it recognised that there was something and asked if I wanted to download from the cloud or upload the local files. Obviously, I chose the cloud.

Annnd then it said it said it couldn't sync. :|
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Try uninstalling MPQ on your new machine, then reinstalling.  Starting from a clean state may make synchronising easier.
  • AlexR
    HAH, I GOT IT WORKING.

Apparently, when I tried to sync last time, it hadn't actually synced successfully with my old save. The cloud still had a save date from way back in April or something, which the new machine refused to sync with. 

Tried again, spent longer in the game on my old machine (finished Growth Industry while I was at it) and this time I saw it sync afterwards. Switched to new machine and this time, Steam identified the save data from today and accepted the sync. It went through! Success!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!