Bonus Heros

GamBaTron
GamBaTron Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
Probably a pretty basic question, but I'll ask. How do you use your bonus heros? I used to just save every cover I ever wanted as a favorite for the chance to get them as a bonus. I just removed the majority of them leaving only a few covers of the characters I am trying to build up. Are there any negative side effects to doing this? I used to feel like the less covers I favorite, it would reduce the chances of getting a bonus pull. I now think that is incorrect. Thoughts? 

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    How many bonus heroes you select has no bearing on the odds of of getting a bonus hero.  It only affects the odds that you'll pull a specific hero.  In other words, if you select one bonus hero per tier, then you have 100% chance of that particular hero being the bonus hero when you're lucky enough to get one. If you select 4 per tier, then you have 25% (each) of getting a particular character, but the total odds still stay the same.  Just remember that when you earn a bonus hero it's only for the tier that you won it in.  So, if you pull a 3* cover and it gives you a bonus, it can only be a 3* bonus.

tl;dr, your overall odd don't change no matter how many you pick.  The odds of getting a specific bonus hero is 100/#bonus heroes selected
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I'll try to answer this; if I don't answer your question, feel free to ask again.

Every time you pull a 3, 4 or 5 star hero cover, there is a fixed percentage chance that you'll get a bonus cover (the stated odds are 1 in 6 pulls, but it's  random... sometimes you'll go a long time without pulling one, sometimes you'll get them in a row. There's lots of speculation about if the delivery is actually random, I'm just going by what they say).

When the 1/6 chance comes up, the game looks at the bonus heroes you've assigned, and will give you a cover of one of them at random. If you don't have one chosen, it'll just give you a random cover. 

So, there are no negative side effects to what you're doing; many of us take it to an extreme and just choose one character that we're focusing on; that way, you always know which bonus hero you're going to get but there's nothing wrong with having more than one selected.

Hope that helps!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I set one character at each star tier as my bonus hero. It can be useful for building up an under-covered character quickly, but I'll also set characters I already have champed to get a specific cover off a champ reward (this is especially useful at the 4-star tier).
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I'm with Dormammu.  I also use BH to get more covers for a character I want/need but when I see that a 4 or 3* is one cover away from a cover, CP or a LL token, I will put a heart on that.
  • ssbledsoe
    ssbledsoe Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I agree w/ the strategy of having a single bonus hero for each tier.  Like w/ everything in the game, you should have a plan how to best take advantage of a specific game related characteristic.  Between dilution and RNG, having a set (however infrequent) chance at a character you want/need is very valuable to help cover characters that you want to roster. 

I missed most of the 4* "meta" character releases.  I'm still WAY behind on G4mora & RNG, but I've been able to fully cover and champ Rogue, along w/ getting Carnage and Medusa fully covered.  A couple of months ago, I laughed at the idea of getting them covered, but w/ the help of bonus heros, I've come quite a long ways.  Having a specific 3* bonus hero can help get 4* progression rewards, and obviously having that 4* as a bonus hero helps too.  I'm not in 5* land, but I have set my 5* bonus hero to Thor and it's helped me add 2 covers I wouldn't have had otherwise and now I have at least 1 cover in all 3 colors.  
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main time I set multiple BHs is when there's some goal that a cover for any of a number of characters could hit. Like if I've got 3 4* who are all one level away from giving me a Legendary Token, they all get BH, or when I was trying to get a bunch of 9-cover 4* up to 10 so they could do Shield Training if they came up for it. Other than that, 1 per tier.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 1 BH per tier at 5 & 4 tier with the goal of getting covers for those characters. At 3 as I am not currently trying to champ anyone I am focusing on getting the good rewards so I rotate based upon who is near what - mostly this is for LT's but may change if there is a nice chunk of CP or a 4* cover needed. When I get a few more covers for my dupe Patch then I will BH to get him re-champed.
  • GamBaTron
    GamBaTron Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    As always, thank you for the great feedback! I've learned so much since joining this forum. I've adjusted my BHs to the few covers in each tier that I would like to receive.

Follow up question... when it comes to Latest legends and classic legends. Is it possible to get a classic legend BH while pulling a latest legend cover? For example if I have Thor set as a Favorite, would I ever get him as a BH if I am pulling from the latest legend pool? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    yes, latest and classic status only affects the draw odds from those stores, it's not a fundamental distinction. So you can set the latest characters to BH, and then pull out of classic if you want or vice-versa. I think a lot of people, myself included, spend CP in classics because every 5th pull is essentially "free" compared to using it in latest. Your odds of getting any specific 5* are dismal, but your odds of getting a 5* at all are the same.

Saving up (hoarding) until you have enough pulls to cover the odds in latest is still the generally accepted way to transition into being a 5* player, but it's a huge time commitment that a lot of people aren't really willing to undertake to bank up that many LTs and CP (is it 400 pulls now with cover saves instead of customer service 1:1 swaps? Used to be 300 was the magic number of pulls). 
  • Waddles_Pines
    GamBaTron said:
    Follow up question... when it comes to Latest legends and classic legends. Is it possible to get a classic legend BH while pulling a latest legend cover? For example if I have Thor set as a Favorite, would I ever get him as a BH if I am pulling from the latest legend pool? 
    Yes you would get Thor.  For bonus heroes, think of it as a second pull where the only consideration is the star level and how many heroes you have in the star level.  So, let's say you pull a Captain Beardy from LL, and miraculously you see the bonus hero animation, then the bonus hero will be any hero you have starred in the 5* class.  A little wordy on my part, but hope that answers your question.  
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Just don't rely on bonus heroes for 5* covers.  After pulling several hundred of the latest legend tokens I think I have only received one or two bonus 5* heroes ever, they are very rare to get in that tier.  

I have used bonus heroes in 3* tier to get to LL tokens faster at the different levels - 266, 257, 237?, etc.  in order to get more draws for 5* LL that I want, like JJ right now before they rotate out of LL.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Warbringa said:
    Just don't rely on bonus heroes for 5* covers.  After pulling several hundred of the latest legend tokens I think I have only received one or two bonus 5* heroes ever, they are very rare to get in that tier.  

I have used bonus heroes in 3* tier to get to LL tokens faster at the different levels - 266, 257, 237?, etc.  in order to get more draws for 5* LL that I want, like JJ right now.  
    Yup ^^^, if i did my maths right, it's 1/140 legendary pulls for a 5 bonus.  I read on one of these threads that the odds are self contained to each store, meaning pulling 70 in LL and 70 in classic doesn't add up to 140.  Also remember RNG is fickle...
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I do the same thing as DAZ; set one BH at the 4* and 5* tier at a time, just depending on who you're working on.  In the 3* tier, I have everybody who's one level away from yielding an LT bonused. Once I hit that level, I un-bonus them. It's just a way to maximize the number of LTs incoming.
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Before I got them all, my bonus 3*s were the ones I didn't have yet. Now that I've gotten them all, it's whomever I want to use but is currently too low on covers. For 4*, it's Wolverine in preparation for his Crash of the Titans. After that, I don't know who I'll pick. Don't have a favorited 5*.