Hey D3, it's time to make more of our rosters useful!

ViralCore
ViralCore Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
We now have close to 50 3*s and 60 4*s which all become PVP relevant again with the upcoming Gambit fix. Please consider doubling the weekly buffed characters so we can have more fun mixing and matching.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Non-required 3* aren't going to be useful in PvP for us ever, unless they dial the buffs up by like 200 levels.

What they *should* do to increase diversity is buff 2 random 5* +100 levels every week in PvP.  That would at least kneecap all the players who skipped over, say, Banner or Ock.
  • ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Non-required 3* aren't going to be useful in PvP for us ever, unless they dial the buffs up by like 200 levels.

What they *should* do to increase diversity is buff 2 random 5* +100 levels every week in PvP.  That would at least kneecap all the players who skipped over, say, Banner or Ock.
    Agreed, 3* buffs aren't going to be of much use to those of us with mature rosters but will be useful for those who are still in 3* land. 4* buffs are still useful though.
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker

Making 2 5s boosted will just change the game to use the 2 boosted 5s, and if you are in 5 land and don't have the boosted characters too bad you don't get to do well this event.
  • entrailbucket

Making 2 5s boosted will just change the game to use the 2 boosted 5s, and if you are in 5 land and don't have the boosted characters too bad you don't get to do well this event.
    Yes, that would be the intended effect.

The "rich," for the most part, don't have anything close to all of the 5*.  The megawhales have everyone, of course, but they're going to win everything no matter what happens.  Most of the merely-rich focus all their spending on one guy at a time (Gambit, lately) at the expense of everyone else. 

Why should they be able to succeed with that strategy?  Isn't that the purpose of the rotating 4* buffs?  With no buffs, every character besides the "best" one is totally worthless.  Rotating buffs would encourage people to deepen their roster, and prevent the sort of stagnant PvP meta we've seen with Gambit (although Gambit was so ludicrously overpowered that he'd have been the best even in a rotating-5*-buff meta).

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ Okoye. Then see if you still think Gambit is too dominant.
  • entrailbucket
    Daiches said:
    How does anybody have her championed already?  She's not even in tokens yet.  I guess the buyclub people can afford to spend 5cp extra per token, but I don't have enough to do that.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Daiches said:

The difference is Okoye is easy to beat. Gambit is auto-pilot for the AI. The worst move it could make was firing red first.

Okoye is a classic "kill last" toon with nukes like OML and Phx were back in the day, and DD and Thor are today. She's great design and fun to play. But no one sees her out there and thinks Ugggh, can't beat that...
    I dont understand this sentiment. I hear it from people a lot though

Gambit was OP because he was hard to beat?

But Okoye isn't because she isn't hard to beat?

I guess I just don't see why being hard to beat on defense makes a character OP and just being good doesn't. There are a ton of character that if they nerfed now I couldn't even blame them. From Okoye to thor, JJ even daredevil, thanos and hawkeye.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    How does anybody have her championed already?  She's not even in tokens yet.  I guess the buyclub people can afford to spend 5cp extra per token, but I don't have enough to do that.

I'm confused by your confusion.  She's been in Latest for quite some time.  She's the next to go after BeardCap.  There is more than enough CP earned in-game to justify the added expense and honestly, your odds of covering Latest characters are way higher than classics.  
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Daiches said:

The difference is Okoye is easy to beat. Gambit is auto-pilot for the AI. The worst move it could make was firing red first.

Okoye is a classic "kill last" toon with nukes like OML and Phx were back in the day, and DD and Thor are today. She's great design and fun to play. But no one sees her out there and thinks Ugggh, can't beat that...

I guess I just don't see why being hard to beat on defense makes a character OP and just being good doesn't. There are a ton of character that if they nerfed now I couldn't even blame them. From Okoye to thor, JJ even daredevil, thanos and hawkeye.
    Because there are lots of strong characters on offense but only one that’s equally good on defense? And not having that character makes you a target, so the game incentivized you to use that character in pvp too much.
  • entrailbucket
    pheregas said:
    Daiches said:

I'm confused by your confusion.  She's been in Latest for quite some time.  She's the next to go after BeardCap.  There is more than enough CP earned in-game to justify the added expense and honestly, your odds of covering Latest characters are way higher than classics.  
    If you do that how do you ever get them high enough to be usable?  Unless you're some huge whale you'll get the guy championed and then never see another cover.  450 on anybody is a huge target in PvP.
  • entrailbucket
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Daiches said:

Because MPQ, from day 1, has made a contract with players that you won't lose on offense unless something goes terribly wrong.  Gambit is the first character at any tier to break that contract, and that's why he needed to be nerfed.  Some of the others there could use some dialing-down (Thor next, please!) but nobody breaks the game like Gambit does.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    pheregas said:
    Daiches said:

If you do that how do you ever get them high enough to be usable?  Unless you're some huge whale you'll get the guy championed and then never see another cover.  450 on anybody is a huge target in PvP.
    You ignore half of the game. Having the champed 5E is critical if you want T10 in a PVE event. 

Also, there are enough people that have all their champed 5s under 475. Meaning they only see each other so the target isn't that huge. A 450 Thor is better than a 470 Banner, phoenix, goblin, etc. The huge targets have less to do with champ levels and more to do with who they are. 
  • entrailbucket
    Qubort said:
    pheregas said:
    Daiches said:

You ignore half of the game. Having the champed 5E is critical if you want T10 in a PVE event. 

Also, there are enough people that have all their champed 5s under 475. Meaning they only see each other so the target isn't that huge. A 450 Thor is better than a 470 Banner, phoenix, goblin, etc. The huge targets have less to do with champ levels and more to do with who they are. 
    What about all the times when Banner or Phoenix is an essential in PvE?  I can't really speak to all the softcappers who purposely keep all their guys under 475, but generally I'm not going to use any (non-Gambit) guy in PvP if they're below 500, you just take too many hits.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Qubort said:
    target in PvP.

That's me!  I've made peace with the fact that my highest 5* is 460 and will unlikely to get much higher.  It's a huge consolation that I have 19 champed 5s.  Even soft-capped 5s with 7 covers are worth using when the 5-essential in PVE.

I also only go to 900 in PVP.  And honestly, the only ones used for that are the two that are in-meta.  I have very little problems getting to 900 with my 456 Gambit and 454 Thor.  And even after the Gambit nerf, I'll just switch to either Okoye (451) or JJ (452) instead.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    DeNappa said:
    #BringBackHeroics :mrgreen:

No. Besides Pvp is basically already like Heroics since unboosted 4*s are a huge target. So then you are stuck trying to make noncohesive teams work out of the limited roster. Expanding the boosted list would be making it less likely to use the lower tier 4*s.
    But with the recent changes to dilution, Gambit, and wins based PVP and the huge roster of 4*s I think its time to add more boosted characters. 
  • entrailbucket
    pheregas said:

That's me!  I've made peace with the fact that my highest 5* is 460 and will unlikely to get much higher.  It's a huge consolation that I have 19 champed 5s.  Even soft-capped 5s with 7 covers are worth using when the 5-essential in PVE.

I also only go to 900 in PVP.  And honestly, the only ones used for that are the two that are in-meta.  I have very little problems getting to 900 with my 456 Gambit and 454 Thor.  And even after the Gambit nerf, I'll just switch to either Okoye (451) or JJ (452) instead.

Qubort said:

You guys are both (unintentionally?) making my argument for me.  If you have most of the 5* championed, why would you want to keep using the same two for every event?  With rotating +100 level 5* buffs, you'd get a level 550 monster basically every week.  Wouldn't that be more fun that just using the same two guys over and over again?

And if a 450 Thor is better than a 470 Goblin, isn't that a problem to be corrected?  Weekly rotating buffs would mean that's no longer the case, at least during the weeks when Goblin is buffed.  What about some player who managed to champion Goblin but no other 5*?  Is he just screwed forever?  How is that ok?  Why even have him in tokens if you're never meant to use him?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd settle for more 4* PVP, as promised.
    After that we can talk about that 5* boost.