Which 4* is better: Kingpin or Wasp?

pixiejazz
pixiejazz Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
So I finally have my roster where I want it, at least for now. I'm happy with who I have, and I'm pretty much done with recruiting 3* characters, as the few I don't have are ones I don't want at all (Storm, Capt. Marvel, Daken, Gambit, and She-Hulk...unless someone can make a really good case for She-Hulk). So now I'm just focusing on boosting and champing my 3* characters while easing into 4* character land. I have covers for both Kingpin and Wasp. They don't expire for at least 10-12 days, so I do have some time. But I also have enough coins to recruit at least one of them right now. Should I get either one of them, or should I wait and see if a different 4* character comes along that would be better to recruit first? I also unlocked Okoye with a Latest Legends token after champing one of my 3* characters, so she's also on the list, but I don't think I want her right now.

Thoughts? Advice?

Comments

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Wasp is much better. Kingpin sucks ever since they updated him.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Wasp is far, far better than Kingpin.  I do enjoy Kingpin's yellow power as amusingly inspired by the comics, but it takes forever to get going.

She-Hulk... well, she has a lot of health, and her red power will often destroy hard-to-match enemy tiles at the bottom of the board.  I will occasionally call her up while somebody on my A-team is benched and healing.  She works well with Dr Strange because she'll be the one to match blue and stay in front.

If you've got a yellow Okoye, note that she's practically unkillable with that power, especially as it *restores* health, and not just heals for the duration of the match.  I really enjoyed using Okoye as my tank, Strange in the rear, and alternating between the two Wasps and Kraven as my "running backs" in the recent Unstable Iso-8 event.
  • pixiejazz
    Wasp is far, far better than Kingpin.  I do enjoy Kingpin's yellow power as amusingly inspired by the comics, but it takes forever to get going.

She-Hulk... well, she has a lot of health, and her red power will often destroy hard-to-match enemy tiles at the bottom of the board.  I will occasionally call her up while somebody on my A-team is benched and healing.  She works well with Dr Strange because she'll be the one to match blue and stay in front.

If you've got a yellow Okoye, note that she's practically unkillable with that power, especially as it *restores* health, and not just heals for the duration of the match.  I really enjoyed using Okoye as my tank, Strange in the rear, and alternating between the two Wasps and Kraven as my "running backs" in the recent Unstable Iso-8 event.
    I have only 1 cover for Okoye right now, and it's her black move, so I'm not too keen on her right now. I do have a yellow cover move for Kingpin, and it's tempting, but if Wasp is better, I'll probably grab her first and let Kingpin fall by the wayside if I don't earn enough coins for him before his time is up.

As for She-Hulk, I only have her red move right now (2 covers), and I just did the PvP with her and saw what she could do, but I'm still not 100% keen on her. I think I'll leave her go for now and maybe try to recruit her later on. Wasp expires before She-Hulk, so she's the one I'm gonna want first, I think.

Thanks!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    pixiejazz said:
    I'm pretty much done with recruiting 3* characters, as the few I don't have are ones I don't want at all (Storm, Capt. Marvel, Daken, Gambit, and She-Hulk...unless someone can make a really good case for She-Hulk).

Roster and champ all the threes. Here's why:

1) You need them for required nodes (DDQ, PvE)
    2) They all give awesome champ rewards, helping you to move on to the next tier (4* covers, LTs, CP)
    3) They come in handy when featured in PvP
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd actually hold onto Okoye's black.  It adds damage to all your powers based on #tu tiles you have.  That means Dr Strange passive gets a boost, all spammable powers get a boost.  Since she tanks at least 4 of the 7 colors, she won't lose that many tu ap during the match.  

To your original question, Kingpin used to be fun, but now he's horrible, Wasp is vastly superior...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasp! Team her yellow power with 3* Falcon - fire his purple, flip those shields and then absolutely shred the enemy.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Wasp! Team her yellow power with 3* Falcon - fire his purple, flip those shields and then absolutely shred the enemy.
    In Balance of Power, or some other situation where you can get away with using a lower-tier third, add 2* Bullseye to round out the team. It's one of the teams that shows up periodically in Behemoth Burrito, and it actually works really well except for the lack of red coverage. But your base damage doesn't actually matter that much when you've got 5 digits worth of Strike tiles, so it's a minor flaw :D
  • pixiejazz
    Well, I did recruit Wasp, and the cover is her yellow move, so that's definitely a plus. I also have 2 of Falcon's purple moves, and 2* Bullseye is champed, so I suppose that'll be a good team once I get more covers for Wasp and Falcon.

Thanks!

Also, I suppose I'll eventually have to recruit the last five or six 3* characters I don't have, but they're not high on my list as of right now.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly, go with what's fun.  Given the choice of a 4* piece with a neat power set who will *eventually* become very amusing to play once you get 6+ covers - a Spider-Woman, a Lockjaw, a Quake, an Ant-Man - or one of those last five or six 3* pieces you mention, go for the fun every time because that's what will keep you playing with a smile.  I finally recruited the last of the 3*s (because since I had the resources I might as well), but not until I had every 4* that I wanted.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    You're too early in the game for 5*s, but that Okoye Black might be the only exception. I'd hold on to that one like it's gold. 
    Team her with 2* Ms Marvel (Yellow at level 5) and you're ready to do some Serious damage. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're too early in the game for 5*s, but that Okoye Black might be the only exception. I'd hold on to that one like it's gold.
    The only other one I can think of that I'd make an exception for is LumberCap's purple. The ability to completely shut down powers in a colour for a few Turns can be a lifesaver against a lot of Goon teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're low in the 3* Tier, banner's purple makes him an invincible meat shield in Story mode if you can get green in the bank quickly while we're talking about useful single-cover 5*s to have. I also regularly run my 0/0/1 Panther with my 3/0/2 Thano5 for fast-clearing easy nodes, but I digress.

If you plan to get everybody, you are really going to want to hang on to every 5* cover you get, just don't put any iso into them at all (assuming  you want to play Versus ever). But from somebody with a champed Kingpin and a 13-cover lvl 131 Wasp, I'll say you made the correct choice from your two available 4* characters by rostering Wasp. I'll take Coulson every day over Kingpin if I want somebody doing countdown spam on yellow because his passives are excellent. It is actually kind of fun to run both those characters together even though they overlap, because Kingpin's CDs seem to do way more damage, and Coulson can shorten them up by matching team up tiles away.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
     I'll take Coulson every day over Kingpin if I want somebody doing countdown spam on yellow because his passives are excellent. It is actually kind of fun to run both those characters together even though they overlap, because Kingpin's CDs seem to do way more damage, and Coulson can shorten them up by matching team up tiles away.
    Yes - this. The issue with Kingpin after his re-work was that black now required countdown removal. However, if I have KP's yellow out, I don't want to remove them, I want them to resolve! So now you have to build your team around KP to get anything out of that power and it isn't really worth it.

In terms of 5* - I have started to lean towards Jessica Jones Damning Evidence power as being worth it also. Just under 2K damage and AP gain for a passive ability is pretty handy for a 3* team, I've seen lots of JJ Blue only teams out there with 3*.