Update to Supports (7/3/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited July 2018 in MPQ Supports Discussion
Hi Everyone,

With the release of the newest Support, Wasp Gauntlets, the team wanted to take a moment to speak about the overall Supports feature, and share some of their thoughts:
Hey all,

Since we launched Supports, we've been paying close attention to the community's reception of them, and listening to your feedback. One piece we heard repeatedly is that Supports just weren't strong enough to bother playing with. We're thinking about how to respond to all all of your feedback, but this was the piece that we felt we could address the quickest.

So, with the next several Supports, starting with Wasp Gauntlets, we're trying something new to make them more powerful and exciting. We're increasing Supports overall power level, making high rank Perks stronger sooner, and reducing the number of Perks a Support's power is spread between from 5 to 3.

Instead of a Perk unlocking at all Ranks, Perks are now unlocked at Rank 1, 3 and 5. Fewer Perks mean that the individual Perks are stronger - the power we would have given to the Rank 2 and 4 Perks have been redistributed to the other three. Ranks 2 and 4 will still raise the Level cap of a Support, allowing you to make your Supports stronger, they just don't add extra Perks.

On top of that we've raised the overall power level of Perks. Perks that deal damage or create Special tiles of a certain strength will now be about twice as strong at Level 250 than they are now, and get much stronger on their way to Level 250 than they do now.

Finally, we want high rank Perks to feel awesome as soon as you unlock them, so you'll see many Rank 3 and 5 Perks that start off stronger than they used to.

Please tell us what you think about this new kind of Support! We're listening!

Casey Malone
Lead Designer, Marvel Puzzle Quest

You can check out these changes in the newest Support, Wasp Gauntlets, which you can find details about HERE

Comments

• Cormackie
    Cormackie Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Seems like an alright change. And if you say you're thinking about all the other feedback too, it makes me hopeful that all the other concerns will be addressed down the line. Hopefully this is the beginning of supports actually being a thing ha.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Where's HERE?

Ah. Here's HERE
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    edited July 2018
    Power level is far less important than the difficultly of obtaining supports compounded with the fact that red iso gain is vastly outpaced by the release rate of supports and the dilution of the packs.  Packs which incendently we can almost never obtain.

At least with the huge iso debt from characters you can mathematically earn covers and iso faster than new characters are released.  With supports its an unreasonable proposition to even keep up with the releases so you get left further and further behind.
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I've not spent any red iso yet - 193k since intro. I can take my 1 5* support to level 143. 

That is a ridiculous cost to level ratio.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    There's no point of making the Supports stronger if we can't get enough of them or Red Iso to enjoy these new stronger perks. Devs got it backwards. 
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Just out of curiosity, @Brigby, does this mean players with Rank 4 supports are about to lose some of their already extremely limited utility? Those R4 Web Shooters are only remotely useful because they up PP's critical multiplier; it would be extremely obnoxious to lose the one useful support I have.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    bowla33 said:
    I've not spent any red iso yet - 193k since intro. I can take my 1 5* support to level 143. 

That is a ridiculous cost to level ratio.
    Surely no more ridiculous than 'finishing' the new feature mere months after it was released.

irwando said:
    The problem with Supports is getting them.  Without a consistent, reliable way to get them / make progress on them, they'll be like 5*'s - interesting to those willing to play the meta game / spend tons to get them, uninteresting to the rest of us who won't.

As a long-time high-level but still casual player this change means nothing to me given the very limited opportunities to get supports.

Make them part of progression and I'll be more interested.
    At least making them more impactful takes away some of the pressure of acquiring a ton of them. You can only really use 3 at one time anyways, maybe 6 depending on how you do your PVE. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor

What about all the supports that have come out already? Are they doomed to forever be worthless, low damage items? While heading in this direction is needed, it will instantly invalidate all but 2-3 previously released supports.

You must buff the old with the new if you want this to work.