Ultron and his thugs: what's your strategy?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I find Ultron to be one of the more challenging bosses in the later rounds and his side nodes of sentries can get downright nasty by round 6 - especially when it's a wave node.

Who will you be using against Ultron to take out those bombs?
Who will you be using against those tinykitty Sentries?

Comments

• Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    For the squads, Wasp and Captain Marvel are boosted, so I just plan on pairing them with Medusa.

Ultron is a bit different. Model 40 is boosted so it's probably a good idea to just put a heavy red hitter on the team and go to town with it. Or just mix him with Widow and let her pistol take out the bombs. Unsure on this one really. Aside from Model 40, I've no idea what to use against him yet.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Medusa/Vulture/some red&yellow user is my go-to against Sentries. I might also give Kraven a spin, since I do have 5 covers in his purple. Eddie is another possibility in 4* land. When I was 3* and below, I think I mostly just tried to out-pace them on damage, can't remember if I had any specific counters.

For Ultron himself, because this is the first Boss Event since I champed Hulkbuster, and he's boosted, I'm planning on Repulsor Punching him for the most part. Probably start feeding him with some combination of 3* Fist, SWitch, or C&D when things get tougher. GSBW seems like the best way to clear out the bombs, tho, so I might start giving her the red once it starts taking too long to down him before they hit.
  • Dormammu
    For Ultron himself, because this is the first Boss Event since I champed Hulkbuster, and he's boosted, I'm planning on Repulsor Punching him for the most part. Probably start feeding him with some combination of 3* Fist, SWitch, or C&D when things get tougher.
    3Cyclops works well for feeding HB red (via yellow) as well. I think I used HB, IF, and Cyke quite a bit last time around. I may experiment with Quicksilver this time with a couple black feeders like IF and C&D; the goal would be to move tiles around and match those bombs away. I dunno if there's enough health/damage on that team for the later rounds tho.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    For Ultron, my go-to team has been IM40, Gwenpool & 3* Steve for a long time now, and it's not failed me.  Steve's red and blue plus Gwen's purple give pretty amazing board control, IM40's just there for his yellow (surprise) and Gwen's green and black give a massive burst of damage and an emergency avoidance of death for her teammates, respectively.  You never have to worry about matching Checkov's gun, as Ultron will eventually remove if for you.   A bad board can wreck you in later rounds, but that's MPQ...

For the side notes, I usually throw a lot at the wall and see what sticks, but Medusa is the one constant that is always effective...
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    In the earlier round, I used 3*: SW, IF and QS. SW's green to destroy the bomb tiles and QS's Black to swap amd match away the bomb tiles. I chose this team to have fun with destroying/matching the bomb tiles.

I'm thinking of using IM40, She-Hulk and Indestructible Hulk next, but there's some risk in this team. Basically, tiles destruction from Hulk and She-Hulk to clear away the  bottom row of tiles.

As for Sentries, I might be using Patch or Dr. Ock and 3* HE. I think HE and DO will have a field day with the their special tiles.
  • Dormammu
    As for Sentries, I might be using Patch or Dr. Ock and 3* HE. I think HE and DO will have a field day with the their special tiles.
    Hawkeye and Medusa will put a hurting on Sentries in a fun way.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, these threads always make me think of Spike's first appearance on Buffy: "Do you know what I found worked real good with Slayers? Killing them."  :D
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Also, these threads always make me think of Spike's first appearance on Buffy: "Do you know what I found worked real good with Slayers? Killing them."  :D
    +20 iso ... heck riso, for the buffy reference
  • Stranger Dan
    Stranger Dan Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    I really wish Ultron's bombs counted as enemy special tiles. How are these not special tiles that belong to the enemy? If they were then Hawkeye would be a great pink generator but alas.

All of the buffed characters for this event seem to rely on keeping special tiles on the board while the boss eats away at it. X-Force Deadpool's pink at least is fun in that regard. It's like giving Ultron a taste of his own medicine.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I really wish Ultron's bombs counted as enemy special tiles. How are these not special tiles that belong to the enemy? If they were then Hawkeye would be a great pink generator but alas.

All of the buffed characters for this event seem to rely on keeping special tiles on the board while the boss eats away at it. X-Force Deadpool's pink at least is fun in that regard. It's like giving Ultron a taste of his own medicine.
    cheers, I was wondering if they would count for Hawkguy (but was expecting that they wouldnt)
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    America Chavez is the best anti-Ultron boss ever.  He doesn't get AP when his rows blow up, so you'll be generating critical tiles almost immediately.  If you don't have her, Quicksilver for tile switching, or anyone that can overwrite Ultron's bomb tiles.

As for the sentries, this event is Kraven's time to shine.  All of those special tiles go down to 1 very quickly, so you won't be taking thousands of points of damage for no good reason.  Ant Man can steal them, given enough time.  Medusa, as always, works like a charm.
  • Dormammu
    America Chavez is the best anti-Ultron boss ever.  He doesn't get AP when his rows blow up, so you'll be generating critical tiles almost immediately.
    Yeah, I've been running Chavez with Jessica Jones, throwing in MEHulk just to add to the chaos. If Chavez' criticals don't do the trick, Jessica just takes his picture.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    IM40, GSBW and SW are still a really good combo. Lots of AP generation between IM40's Recharge, SW's Arcane Incantation and GSBW's Deceptive Tactics.
    Also lots of board control with GSBW's Sniper Rifle and Pistol, as well as SW's Arcane Incantation in a lesser degree (more of a shake-up than real board control, but still).

I also like the idea of using America Chavez, I might try that once I'm sure I'll get full progression (personal and Alliance).
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker

I don't know from enemy tiles, but St4r Lord has been overwriting them for me, no problem. Him, Switch and Hulkbuster have been pounding Ultron like a soda can at a shooting range.

For goon nodes I'm still just using whoever else is boosted at the moment, since I'm burning all of my health packs trying to get 40 wins in PvP right now. As a matter of fact, I'm planning on stealing a few ideas from this thread...
  • sambrookjm
    Dormammu said:
    America Chavez is the best anti-Ultron boss ever.  He doesn't get AP when his rows blow up, so you'll be generating critical tiles almost immediately.
    Yeah, I've been running Chavez with Jessica Jones, throwing in MEHulk just to add to the chaos. If Chavez' criticals don't do the trick, Jessica just takes his picture.
    I would have thought that MEHulk would be more trouble than he's worth, with moving bomb tiles closer to the bottom.  True, he *could* move them higher up, but Murphy's Law says he's way more likely to bring them down.
  • sambrookjm
    IM40, GSBW and SW are still a really good combo. Lots of AP generation between IM40's Recharge, SW's Arcane Incantation and GSBW's Deceptive Tactics.
    Also lots of board control with GSBW's Sniper Rifle and Pistol, as well as SW's Arcane Incantation in a lesser degree (more of a shake-up than real board control, but still).

I also like the idea of using America Chavez, I might try that once I'm sure I'll get full progression (personal and Alliance).
    You can Switch (HA!) Black Widow's green to 4 vs Ultron, since there are no other enemies.  Increase the Pistol level to get more targeted tile destruction.
  • Monsoon3
    Monsoon3 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    5* Gambit, C4rol, and Chavez have been really good so far. Depending on the board, you could be dropping critical tiles by your second move with no AP generation by Ultron. Black and yellow him with Carol near the end.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Gwenpool
    4* Ghost Rider
    a character that can take one bomb or more

ghost rider was made for this. I tried using characters that put more black in the field, but the problem is that it interferes with matching bombs. I’ve been settling on Carol as the 3rd because her black power kills Ultron at 90% health and I don’t have to wait for a bomb to reach the floor. 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    I play exactly this, except Surfer (my highest 5*) in place of JJ. MEHulk is there only for fast AP.
    For the higher rounds I drop MEHulk and replace with +1 All AP boost and someone else, usually GSBW. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    One match I got unlucky and ran out of matches and the board got shuffled to place two bombs on the bottom row and take out one of my characters.  It was late enough in the match for me to still win, but felt particularly unfair.

As for good teams, 5* Thanos can be pretty useful.  His purple won't stop Ultron from creating bomb tiles, but it will stop him from destroying rows.  This can give you time to deal with the board or prepare an attack that will finish him off.