Gambit Character Update Details (6/26/18)

Comments

• spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Glad to see this! While I could beat him without having my own Gambit, I almost always needed boosts and some luck. In general he was just not fun to play against. Outside of facing Gambit I could play any of my 5 stars against other 5 stars and that makes the game fun. Having to constantly skip teams because I wanted to use my Doc Ock or Star Lord (yeah, I like them) made me hate PVP. Now hopefully that's changed.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    If you think about it, they have essentially just announced a buff for EVERY other 5* in the game.  You can more reliably use, for example, Hawkeye's countdowns, Ghostrider's repeater tiles, Doc's reactor and even Banner's transformation.  Kudos to the devs.
    Banner and Doc still won't see the light of day because they are still horrible. Can't really say great things about Ghost Riders. As for Kudo's to the devs, for turning a top tier character into an extremely weak one, that is par for the course. The Dev Team get's Kudos if they make characters that don't need a nerf. Seeing as how they tend to nerf  on average three characters a year, they are not doing so well.

//Removed Insult -Brigby
    I guess we'll have to wait a month to see if Gambit really is extremely weak now or is finally the balanced character a lot of people hoped to see.  Somewhere between the two is my guess.

Can't really argue with anything else you've said (except maybe GR more viable). It was after all around 9 months ago I created a thread asking whether Gambit 1.0 was OP.  He was then and he is now.  Thankfully he won't be for much longer.

//Removed Insult - Brigby
  • awarnica
    awarnica Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I’m so glad I decided NOT to spend on digital day last year. 
    I’m sure there are lots who are not so relieved. 

I keep saying - it’s as if they have no idea... but that can’t be true. 

Oh yes it can!
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Glad to see this! While I could beat him without having my own Gambit, I almost always needed boosts and some luck. In general he was just not fun to play against. Outside of facing Gambit I could play any of my 5 stars against other 5 stars and that makes the game fun. Having to constantly skip teams because I wanted to use my Doc Ock or Star Lord (yeah, I like them) made me hate PVP. Now hopefully that's changed.
    If you are using Doc Ock and Starlord in PVP,  you are still going to hate PVP. 

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Long overdue, a well reasoned and explained set of changes.  I would say the gap has been closed to a point where variation might start to happen again.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Agreed on removing the restriction. His Purple will be really powerful, so there aren't a lot of other Purples I would use. His Red was nerfed very hard and his AP generation is slower and less reliable, so letting him be a Red battery for others seems reasonable.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    Could you AT LEAST remove the restrictions on his black preventing allies from firing red/purple. He’s so slow and such a handicap. That minor change could at least open up some teams for him. 
    I had forgotten about that, making him even worse.

• therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    I for one  have been waiting desperately for a Gambutt Nerf. This is just a tad too far in my opinion. Reduce damage in red or increases AP, not both.

Purple should have always been random tiles with overwrite. Gambit is explosive not finesse.

Black is pretty good. Removing AP destruction was the right move.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    At the end of the day, you want to upset the status quo, introduce further variety. Don't think he's as bad as people think. He will definitely not be top tier anymore, which is the goal. And we'll not have characters powers being introduced in an attempt to disrupt him specifically.

We'll be back to a world of strategy and counterstrategy, as opposed to "bring your Gambit to the Gambit party".
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will just say thank you for changing the meta.  I am really excited to see what sort of meta develops in 5* land because of this.
    I will hold off judgement on the nerf but I will also say this PVE events where I don’t have the 5* at a high level or champed will now get a lot more interesting 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Nerfed into uselessness 

every single power did not need to be adjusted.

D3 needs to put me on the balance team lol. Gambit went from the best to almost useless.

hope people enjoy Thor, okoye and JJ non stop now.

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Please tell me the reason allies can’t use powers with a 2 turn repeater that can be destroyed?

why does red cost almost double the cost for the same effect?

purple change is reasonable and somewhat expected, but I think that’s more for the pve side of things still way over kill.

gambit is essentially not good at anything any more.

5/3/5