***** Thor (Gladiator) *****

13»

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    What counts for the calculation with red is: attack/protect/strike tiles, countdowns & repeaters (not 100% sure on repeaters)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    What counts for the calculation with red is: attack/protect/strike tiles, countdowns & repeaters (not 100% sure on repeaters)
    And invisibility.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,106 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    And invisibility.
    Thanks to both of you for the clarifications.  I always like to double check with people who know way more than I do before going through filing a bug report.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the nerf Thor thread is now closed, I’ll just proposed my solution here. Instead of having the passive triggered off 50% health, why not track damage like ghost rider? Eg. If Thor would take 50% damage in a battle. So instead of tracking how much damage is dealt like ghost rider, track how much damage Thor received. That would get around the retreat exploit and have it how the dev intended. 
  • sinnerjfl
    Pongie said:
    Since the nerf Thor thread is now closed, I’ll just proposed my solution here. Instead of having the passive triggered off 50% health, why not track damage like ghost rider? Eg. If Thor would take 50% damage in a battle. So instead of tracking how much damage is dealt like ghost rider, track how much damage Thor received. That would get around the retreat exploit and have it how the dev intended. 
    Errrr, small problem with your solution, it basically requires you to bring Thor at full health every single match if you want the passive to proc otherwise you risk even more to end up killing him. Yay even more health pack use.

I honestly think it's fine as it is because of risk/reward. Before that passive procs, Thor has good abilities that all cost a decent amount of AP. His yellow is really slow to get going (and costs another 12 AP for the nuke), red being dependent on specials for extra damage makes it quite slow too, green costs 12 AP.  

I think its fine he can self-accelerate if he's at 50%. It's certainly not an auto-win in PVP and its quite probable he's gonna end up dying in the process. It's also easy to deal with when facing him which makes it even less of a problem.

Does it really matter how he ends up at 50%... I dont think so.

Should we nerf DD strike tiles and his healing while were at it? Those are really strong and he heals a lot...  It's the same mechanic yet noone thinks its overpowered and noone cares if you retreat to get DD under 50%.

This whole "exploit" thing is a non-issue.

• frederec
    frederec Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    sinnerjfl said:

I honestly think it's fine as it is because of risk/reward. Before that passive procs, Thor has good abilities that all cost a decent amount of AP. His yellow is really slow to get going (and costs another 12 AP for the nuke), red being dependent on specials for extra damage makes it quite slow too, green costs 12 AP.  

I think its fine he can self-accelerate if he's at 50%. It's certainly not an auto-win in PVP and its quite probable he's gonna end up dying in the process. It's also easy to deal with when facing him which makes it even less of a problem.

Does it really matter how he ends up at 50%... I dont think so.

This is really how I look at it.  I regularly run half health Thor, but I always know that if I screw up and the enemy gets a good cascade, especially against a team including Thanos, everything can go very badly very quickly.  He's a lot of fun, but I feel like since he is best when he's run as a glass cannon, it balances out.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Also, somebody has to be the most useful character in the game. It'd be lovely to have 50 characters that are all equally powerful in 50 different ways, but it's not realistic. Thor is really freaking good, especially at <50%, but he's hardly gamebreaking. And if you have to destroy half your best character's health before using him, that's a pretty significant drawback. It basically means your lvl450 Thor's starting health is about 27k max, if you want to use him that way. That's not a lot in 5*/cl9 territory, hence the tactics to protect him. I just struggle to see this as a problem.
  • sinnerjfl
    Another thing to add, now that Gambit is not is de facto partner, matches drag on longer and Thor seems to end up taking more damage, he won't be able to stay at under 50% health for as many matches as he used to.

That should end up balancing him some more.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    sinnerjfl said:
    Another thing to add, now that Gambit is not is de facto partner, matches drag on longer and Thor seems to end up taking more damage, he won't be able to stay at under 50% health for as many matches as he used to.

That should end up balancing him some more.
    As intended (dev's). 
    But if you can pair him with Jessica, Daredevil, or Okoye, they can provide some much needed tanking. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Just popping in 3 years later to say I finally champed Thor yesterday, thanks to Milestone Reward shards. He dropped out of Latest for me at 2/0/2, and I spent a little time grinding Valkyrie up to get him to 5/0/2, and I was using him as a battery with okay results, but his health at that coverage and 50% was basically 3* territory. So when those Milestone quests went live, I was able to jump him straight up to 5/5/2, then just pulled legendaries until I finished him up. You wouldn't think it would, but having him actually champed made a big difference with Okoye for, at least. I was pretty surprised to see he was tanking Red over both Okoye (452) and Apocalypse (456), but then I realized I have a 3* Stormbreaker on him, which adds 247 to his base red damage. So he should still be tanking Okoye, but not Apocalypse if I remove it. What's generally the cover spread you need between Okoye and Thor to make sure she stays tanking red without a support?
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 550 Critical Contributor
    Just popping in 3 years later to say I finally champed Thor yesterday, thanks to Milestone Reward shards. He dropped out of Latest for me at 2/0/2, and I spent a little time grinding Valkyrie up to get him to 5/0/2, and I was using him as a battery with okay results, but his health at that coverage and 50% was basically 3* territory. So when those Milestone quests went live, I was able to jump him straight up to 5/5/2, then just pulled legendaries until I finished him up. You wouldn't think it would, but having him actually champed made a big difference with Okoye for, at least. I was pretty surprised to see he was tanking Red over both Okoye (452) and Apocalypse (456), but then I realized I have a 3* Stormbreaker on him, which adds 247 to his base red damage. So he should still be tanking Okoye, but not Apocalypse if I remove it. What's generally the cover spread you need between Okoye and Thor to make sure she stays tanking red without a support?
    I joined you in this crusade. Champed mine after missing out on him during one my many hiati.  Couldn’t be happier with milestones. Post-ISO here I come!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    11 or 12 covers difference, depending on decimal points.
    Wow, so a whole second Okoye...good to know, thanks.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    11 or 12 covers difference, depending on decimal points.
    Wow, so a whole second Okoye...good to know, thanks.
    I thought it was 13 if you want her to tank regardless of position. I’ve had my Thor softcapped/unchamped forever and just used my milestone rewards to pump up Shuri and Okoye to get enough covers to finally champ him. I figured 9 levels on Okoye, and 18 levels on Thor were a good use of my shards even though I don’t have any rainy day shards to help with future bad builds.