Teferi will be in the next vault, but where is Karn?

Mark_Tedin
Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
edited June 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Karn was released before, but just Teferi will be in next vault. What's happened?
Tagged:

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Karn was was released before, but just Teferi will be in next vault. What's happened?
    Check out the other threads for this, but the short answer is:

When Karn was up for sale the devs said that he would be exclusive for longer than usual.  Best guess is he will be the last of the 3 to make it to the vault.
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Yes. But the time is much higher than the estimated. Something may be wrong.
    Note: I wish more Teferi than karn   :D
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Yes. But the time is much higher than the estimated. Something may be wrong.
    Note: I wish more Teferi than karn   :D
    Estimated by whom?  Commenters in the community?  There was never an estimate.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    'After the May 23rd date, Karn, Scion of Urza won't be available in the Vault for Mana Crystals just yet until a later, not-yet-announced date. This date will be longer than previously released Planeswalkers, which tended to be 3 weeks after conclusion of bundle sale.'

The above was written in the release notes for 2.6. This is the only official info about the release of Karn sofar.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is actually sheds a lot of light on the situation, and a bit of relief for me.

Basically it seems that Karn is Octagon's special planewalker-baby and won't be available to us for a while (I wouldn't be surprised if they re-released him for cash-purchase only), but the other planeswalkers will continue to be released a month-ish after they are no longer available for cash.

I'm really glad about this honestly because I was afraid they were going to this exclusive-Karn strategy for all of the new planeswalkers and this would become more of a pay-to-play game.  I can do without Karn, but I don't want to have to pay cash for every new planeswalker or have to wait half a year or more before I can get crystal purchase access.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    I wouldn't mind if they had one exclusive PW/set with an extended time before hitting the vault.
    As long as it isn't evidently better and gives an edge over f2p players that is.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    This is actually sheds a lot of light on the situation, and a bit of relief for me.

Basically it seems that Karn is Octagon's special planewalker-baby and won't be available to us for a while (I wouldn't be surprised if they re-released him for cash-purchase only), but the other planeswalkers will continue to be released a month-ish after they are no longer available for cash.

I'm really glad about this honestly because I was afraid they were going to this exclusive-Karn strategy for all of the new planeswalkers and this would become more of a pay-to-play game.  I can do without Karn, but I don't want to have to pay cash for every new planeswalker or have to wait half a year or more before I can get crystal purchase access.
    You can't do without Karn. Just wait till you get him. You'll never say that again.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

You can't do without Karn. Just wait till you get him. You'll never say that again.
    Just make sure that before you get him you have a kajillion runes, or else he'll be stuck at a low lever for-ev-er
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    DumasAG said:

Just make sure that before you get him you have a kajillion runes, or else he'll be stuck at a low lever for-ev-er
    Yeah, he really is pretty useless until level 40, and doesn't get great until 50 (when his first hits level 3 and 4, respectably)

Not that I wouldn't recommend getting him of course, just be warned he isn't an insta-op button like some people seem to believe
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    I had a lot of fun running him at lower levels with mostly or all colorless cards. On a colorless node he's very powerful at any level 6 (when he gets his first ability, I think) or above. I'm really looking forward to playing with Tefari too, I've got enough runes saved that I could max him immediately if I wanted to.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got him to level 34 or 35 just because I wanted to add an extra spell to an already working awesome deck. While he clearly gets even better later I absolutely wouldn't say he's useless until 40.
  • FindingHeart8

haha guess ignorance is bliss ;)

I'm sure when he has access to all colors he's quite a force to be reckoned with, I just can't see him as a mono-colored walker being much more than a late-game beast.  Outside of PvE events, the edge of battle seems to favor the fast-aggressive player.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    I mostly want Karn if only because, if I can't make a good deck for him, at least I can sacrifice him to master my cards. You know, for due to being a planeswalker who can play all cards.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    I'd never use Karn on color locked node. He's a PVE and all color walker exclusively. There are better choices when you have a color locked node.
  • FindingHeart8
    I'd never use Karn on color locked node. He's a PVE and all color walker exclusively. There are better choices when you have a color locked node.
    yeah that's what I suspected.  Good to hear some confirmation on that theory tho :)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    yeah that's what I suspected.  Good to hear some confirmation on that theory tho :)
    I’m actually running a mono green deck in him now. I didn’t think it would work, but getting that +7 on green and running growing rites is pretty much insane. 
  • FindingHeart8
    bken1234 said:
    I’m actually running a mono green deck in him now. I didn’t think it would work, but getting that +7 on green and running growing rites is pretty much insane. 
    oh I'm sure you found a way to make him quite powerful!  But that's at least 7 turns for the +7 on green though, isn't it?  Generally I aim to have my opponent defeated by turn 7 lol.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    bken1234 said:
    oh I'm sure you found a way to make him quite powerful!  But that's at least 7 turns for the +7 on green though, isn't it?  Generally I aim to have my opponent defeated by turn 7 lol.
    3 loyalty1 to get +6 on-top of the initial +1.  Not 7 turns, especially if you're cascading green conversions.  May be up on turn 4.
  • FindingHeart8
    James13 said:
    bken1234 said:
    3 loyalty1 to get +6 on-top of the initial +1.  Not 7 turns, especially if you're cascading green conversions.  May be up on turn 4.
    ah, good to know!  I'm still learning how he works (mostly because I dont own him yet ;) ).  That does make him seem better tho
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is amazingly good imo.  His first lets you both draw an extra card for 4 loyalty (not bad) it also lets you pick between the first 3 (amazing).  Also, whichever ones you don't select can be snagged reliably by his 2nd later in the game.  Once you get going you are sifting through 4+ cards a turn.  That is unbelievably strong.

His third is one of the better skills in the game and yet I rarely play it.  But a 12/12 prevent damage that digs out supports every turn... wowzers.

I actually think he has THE BEST skillsets in the game (yes, NB and Kiora.. including you).  His only downfall in color locked nodes is his access to cards basically turns him into a mono-walker. And you are usually better off going with a dual.