We're gunna sing the doom song now

Options
1235»

Comments

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There is zero reason they would skip it.  It is a Standard set.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    I was initially thinking they’d skip it, but as more cards are announced, fewer are reprints of things in Puzzle Quest now than I anticipated. So I’m becoming more inclined to think it will be added. Also skipping it loses potential income for the game devs. 
    that's a fair argument.  It might just boil down to how much work they've already got on their plate and what permissions D3 has from Wizards in sets that they can convert to mtgpq.
  • EDHdad
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's a Standard set.  Puzzle Quest hasn't skipped a Standard set since the beginning of Puzzle Quest. 

They've skipped supplemental sets, like Conspiracy / Commander / Battle Bond / various Duel Decks.  But never a Standard set.  They did include some cards from supplemental sets as Masterpieces, such as the Kamigawa dragon cycle which which were being reprinted at the time in Iconic Masters.

Core set just means that they aren't beholden to some plane or story line.  Wizards can print a card like Scapeshift or Crucible of Worlds or Omniscience, and get it into Standard without having to twist the story line to explain why there's a Scapeshift or Crucible of Worlds or Omniscience relevant to the current plot.

Core sets should be even easier for Puzzle Quest to implement than other sets.  For the most part, they usually don't introduce any new mechanics into the game like Energy.  Most of the keywords on creatures are going to be evergreen mechanics like flying, trample, first strike and the like.

As I see it, the only way Core 2019 is not in Puzzle Quest is if they stop making new cards for Puzzle Quest altogether.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    It's a Standard set.  Puzzle Quest hasn't skipped a Standard set since the beginning of Puzzle Quest. 

They've skipped supplemental sets, like Conspiracy / Commander / Battle Bond / various Duel Decks.  But never a Standard set.  They did include some cards from supplemental sets as Masterpieces, such as the Kamigawa dragon cycle which which were being reprinted at the time in Iconic Masters.

Core set just means that they aren't beholden to some plane or story line.  Wizards can print a card like Scapeshift or Crucible of Worlds or Omniscience, and get it into Standard without having to twist the story line to explain why there's a Scapeshift or Crucible of Worlds or Omniscience relevant to the current plot.

Core sets should be even easier for Puzzle Quest to implement than other sets.  For the most part, they usually don't introduce any new mechanics into the game like Energy.  Most of the keywords on creatures are going to be evergreen mechanics like flying, trample, first strike and the like.

As I see it, the only way Core 2019 is not in Puzzle Quest is if they stop making new cards for Puzzle Quest altogether.
    The reason there is confusion is because of Origins being the de-facto core set of MTGPQ.  Adding in another one as a regular set means it isn't really a core set any more, but replacing Origins would create a ton of problems.
  • EDHdad
    Options
    The only reason that's confusing is that Puzzle Quest announced they would never rotate Origins from Standard.  In paper Magic, Origins rotated years ago.

Maybe Puzzle Quest will revise that thinking and maybe they won't.  Maybe they'll tack on some Core Set cards to Origins, the way they tacked Eldritch Moon onto Shadows over Innistrad.  Or maybe they'll come up with some new version of Standard, where commons and uncommons don't rotate, but rares and Mythics have to be from current sets.

Either way, it's a separate issue from whether they will release Core Set at all.  In Paper Magic, Dominaria was released in April 2018 and Guilds of Ravnica will be released in October 2018.  Is Puzzle Quest really going to go 6 months without introducing a new set, simply to avoid some confusion about the set's name?
  • FindingHeart8
    edited June 2018
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    The only reason that's confusing is that Puzzle Quest announced they would never rotate Origins from Standard.  In paper Magic, Origins rotated years ago.

Maybe Puzzle Quest will revise that thinking and maybe they won't.  Maybe they'll tack on some Core Set cards to Origins, the way they tacked Eldritch Moon onto Shadows over Innistrad.  Or maybe they'll come up with some new version of Standard, where commons and uncommons don't rotate, but rares and Mythics have to be from current sets.

Either way, it's a separate issue from whether they will release Core Set at all.  In Paper Magic, Dominaria was released in April 2018 and Guilds of Ravnica will be released in October 2018.  Is Puzzle Quest really going to go 6 months without introducing a new set, simply to avoid some confusion about the set's name?
    like @Mburn7 said, it's not just the name of the set, it's how it interacts with the Origins set.  Plus the question of all the reprints (ranging from common-Disperse to Masterpiece-Omniscience, other cards with no synergy to standard), and all of the planeswalkers.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Doom doom doom doom , dooooooom doom doom doom , doooooooom
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    httpsimg00deviantartnet6722i20101556ainvader_zim_doom_by_shadowrhymepng
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    httpsimg00deviantartnet6722i20101556ainvader_zim_doom_by_shadowrhymepng
    Best.  Show.  Ever.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jhonen is working on more Zim now, don't know the details but there is something coming!
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Jhonen is working on more Zim now, don't know the details but there is something coming!
    there's was supposed to be a movie, I hope it turns into another series!

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And with the sad news today that Harlan Ellison died, I also found out that he enjoyed Zim and used to sit at his desk immitating GIR!
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    And with the sad news today that Harlan Ellison died, I also found out that he enjoyed Zim and used to sit at his desk immitating GIR!
    I did not know this, very sad :/